Do ALL teas count as water ?

Options

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I had a nutritionist once tell me that since caffiene is a diuretic don't count caffienated teas and coffees as water,

That advice has been revised.

As we all know people who lost a few pounds on an internet are all knowing and better suited to tell someone than someone that goes to constant seminars to keep up with their license and such.

oops .. got impatient ... double posted
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I had a nutritionist once tell me that since caffiene is a diuretic don't count caffienated teas and coffees as water,

As we all know people who lost a few pounds on an internet are all knowing and better suited to tell someone than someone that goes to constant seminars to keep up with their license and such.

I thought you were ignoring me.

And my information comes from the Mayo Clinic. But what do they know?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
    Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/health-tip/HT00468
    Water is a great choice for staying hydrated. After all, water is calorie-free, inexpensive and readily available. Still, water isn't your only option. Remember that food also contributes to your daily fluid needs. Many fruits and vegetables, such as watermelon and tomatoes, are 90 percent or more water by weight. Beverages such as milk and juice also are composed mostly of water. In moderation, even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages, such as coffee, tea or soda, can contribute to your daily fluid needs.

Also:

From the Mayo clinic.

Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

So moderation as far as caffeine and hydration goes, like so many other things.
  • Jacson53
    Jacson53 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting here with a cup of hot tea (Refresh) from Starbucks enjoying the conversation. The hot tea makes my throat feel better - if only it counted a hydration so how.................. :laugh:

Carry on........:drinker:

Your sense of humor is refreshing! :flowerforyou:
    *raises 24-oz. Bubba mug of green mint tea in salute*
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I have this mental picture of my stomach yelling at me. It's saying, "WTF! Why did you mix water with things! Now I don't know what to do with it!"

Immediate dehydration follows.

I also just had lunch, and now I"ve had some water, which is now mixed with my lunch. That's too bad. Such a waste of good water.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

No longer commenting in any of these general forums.

Darn - because I love me some crazy.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Is your pee clear?
    I hope not totally clear! It should be pale yellow. If it was always clear, I'd be worried about electrolyte imbalance.

Can you clarify the electrolyte imbalance? I may or may not almost always have clear urine. (I also almost never drink "straight" water.)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Any liquid "counts" as water. Tea, coffee, soda, juice, milk, soup, etc. Most food you eat contains water as well. An apple is 85% water. Tracking fluid intake is really pointless. If your urine is pale yellow then you're hydrated. It's that simple.

No, it does not...............

Other liquids are just other fluids but they are no longer water.

We should be drinking at least 64 ounces of pure water per day in addition to what other fluids we are intaking.

All of these comments are so misguided. Ugh.

Oh Lord. Bless your heart.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    For me, I only count actual plain water as my water intake. I don't consider tea, coffee or even flavored enhanced water in my diary as water intake.

Thank you...............someone else that exhibits some common sense.

Thank you both for your truthful answers!!! Anytime you add something to plain water it alters the way the body will digest, use, absorb it!

Oh LORD! Bless your heart too, for bringing such entertainment to my otherwise quiet evening. :smile:
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I water the plants in my office with whatever's left in my mug at the end of the day, generally stale black coffee, sometimes tea, sometimes diet soda.

They all appear to be turgid.

Has anyone added 'turgid' to the list of words we really hate?
  • QuietBloom
    Options

I thought you were no longer commenting?? Very confused.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

We should be drinking at least 64 ounces of pure water per day in addition to what other fluids we are intaking.

I have yet to see any real medical research that supports this.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

I have yet to see any real medical research that supports this.

Medical research? Puah I say!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Nobody - no human and no animal - drinks "pure water" for the simple fact that "pure water" isn't found in nature. The only way to get "pure water" is to distill it and immediately drink the distillate.

The poster in question is flat out wrong.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Nobody - no human and no animal - drinks "pure water" for the simple fact that "pure water" isn't found in nature. The only way to get "pure water" is to distill it and immediately drink the distillate.

The poster in question is flat out wrong.

Drink some water then eat a teabag.
    What's in your tummy?

I just blew your mind.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

So when I pour 8 oz of boiling water in a mug and add something to it, what does the water "become"?

Is it OK for me to drink a glass of water and then eat a tea bag or does it cease to be water if I do that?

ALCHEMY!!!!
  • deanronaldhayes
    Options
    I often have vanilla protein powder for breakfast. When I do I add milk and I log the two separately.
    Sometimes I use water instead of milk.

I log it as water and Im comfortable with that.
  • jesoates
    Options
    People: only water and decaffeinated/herbal teas count as water. Caffeine dehydrates you, so caffeinated beverages have no place on your water log. As for the question about chai tea lattes...seriously, no. Latte means milk based. Are you logging your milk as water, too? Come on, just drink some plain old water. It won't kill you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    People: only water and decaffeinated/herbal teas count as water. Caffeine dehydrates you, so caffeinated beverages have no place on your water log. As for the question about chai tea lattes...seriously, no. Latte means milk based. Are you logging your milk as water, too? Come on, just drink some plain old water. It won't kill you.
    I love when people who are absolutely, 100% wrong are so condescending about it.

You're funny.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I love when people who are absolutely, 100% wrong are so condescending about it.

You're funny.

*high five* :drinker:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0084154

"With acknowledgement of the study's limitations, results suggest that coffee did not result in dehydration when provided in a moderate dose of 4 mg/kg BW caffeine in four cups per day. Thus, these data suggest that coffee, when consumed in moderation by caffeine habituated males contributes to daily fluid requirement and does not pose a detrimental effect to fluid balance. The advice provided in the public health domain regarding coffee intake and hydration status should therefore be updated to reflect these findings."
  • appy85
    appy85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well I have just restarted my journey for the billionth time, but my rule of thumb has always been water is water. I don't do well with drinking as much water as I should, I guess it would be easy to count anything with any drop of water in it as water but what would be the real benefit in that? There would not be any benefit. I hope to be at a gallon a day soon. I am challenging myself to that but taking baby steps so I don't get tripped up as I so easily do.