Half Ironman June 2014

Options
This week I started to train for the Half Ironman to be held on June 22, 2014 in Syracuse. I would love to hear advice on how to lose weight while keeping my energy up for the training. I want to be lighter for the race because it will be easier, but want to make sure I do it right.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I haven't done a half-iron distance yet (probably never will do anything longer than an olympic) but the short answer is that you can eat at a deficit during the earlier phases of your training plan but once you start doing the longer runs, rides and swims you need the fuel and - depending on how much weight you have to lose - need to eat pretty close to maintenance or you'll be seriously dragging your butt.

here's an article you may find interesting.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/nutrition/weight-management.aspx
  • polido54
    polido54 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! i will check that article out
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Well done for enrolling and putting yourself forward for the half..WTG girl :smile:

My hubby has done a few ironman and double ironman (not for me too much hard work, but have been to various countries to watch) I have asked him the question.

His advice is to not worry about losing weight, if you are training hard and working hard then eat plenty.

He says you will lose a lot of weight whilst training, so make sure you get in lots of protein. Training is the key (in his opinion)

Stock up on gels, bananas, protein shakes.

His hardest thing has been during the comps is keeping food down and not puking, also dehydration.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I've been reading "triathlons training bible" Joe Friel. He presents research showing that you need to keep protein levels as high as normal and reduce carbs and fats. If you are using periodixation I'm guessing you can fit dieting into this as well so you lose as part of the periodisation. I'm guessing you can cut back during the easy weeks.

Good luck on hitting your goals
  • bubbles2621
    bubbles2621 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am also training for a comeback tour of the Half Ironman, I am doing Door County on July 20th 2014, I am also trying to lose 40-50 lbs before then too. I have done this race in 2012 but came 4 miles from the finish and ran out of time. I had several issues going on that race, then ran into health issues in 2013, but I am better and have been training since October for my comeback tour. I do know that it is really hard to lose weight and train, but I also have thyroid issues makes it twice as hard but will keep trying.