Too much protein?

Options
I know that this is a very controversial topic, but I genuinely am curious if there is any adverse effects of consuming too much protein? The reason I ask this is because I typically eat between 115-150 grams of protein a day. I am 5'4 and about 107 pounds. I know some people on MFP struggle with meeting their protein goals, but for me its the exact opposite. I just want to make sure that consuming this amount of protein isn't detrimental to my health as long as it comes from lean sources (chicken, egg whites, turkey). I rarely consume red meat.

Replies

• lythy77
    lythy77 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I remember reading that .your body will only use what protein it needs and the rest your body dumps via urine.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As long as you dont have kidney issues you are good... your body will know to digest any excess slower and utilize when necessary.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Everything should be in moderation. Unless you are training for something physically that isn't very healthy to do so. I know I will be the only one to say this.

I am in school to be a Dietitian and definitely don't know everything. I do, however, know that protein just like everything else needs to either be used, gotten rid of, or it will turn into fat. It is not unlike anything else that we digest. In addition, too much protein essentially taxes your organs as they try to process and store it appropriately.

An average adult woman needs 46 g or protein. At your weight you could probably even use a little less. You should consume .8 x your body weight in kg. So you weigh approximately 49 kg so you can consume around 39 g of protein. it's not a ton but you are a small lady. I wouldn't say consuming an extra 10-20 grams will be terrible but you are tripling the amount that you need....

Check out this article http://www.medicinenet.com/how_much_dietary_protein_to_consume/views.htm - there are a million more like it
  • xvintagepearls
    Options
    Bump
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Everything should be in moderation. Unless you are training for something physically that isn't very healthy to do so. I know I will be the only one to say this.

I am in school to be a Dietitian and definitely don't know everything. I do, however, know that protein just like everything else needs to either be used, gotten rid of, or it will turn into fat. It is not unlike anything else that we digest. In addition, too much protein essentially taxes your organs as they try to process and store it appropriately.

An average adult woman needs 46 g or protein. At your weight you could probably even use a little less. You should consume .8 x your body weight in kg. So you weigh approximately 49 kg so you can consume around 39 g of protein. it's not a ton but you are a small lady. I wouldn't say consuming an extra 10-20 grams will be terrible but you are tripling the amount that you need....

Check out this article http://www.medicinenet.com/how_much_dietary_protein_to_consume/views.htm - there are a million more like it

There's a fair amount of research showing benefits to increasing protein intake well beyond the RDA values.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

46g is what is need fo an average woman , but lets stress average woman needs...and how old is that data....????

.8g of LBM is what was recommended to me and that was in lbs not kg...so I have appx 26% bf so that is 121-125 lbs of lbm hence my protien. Talking kg it is 1.4-2g per. Low end to maintain muscle, high end to aid in the repair and the nutrional values needed to aid in the building of muscle.

And the part I bolded? really?????????? I eat min 120 on most days and trust me it's not turning to fat

Protien turns to fat...hmmm

"Excess calories of any nature, regardless of the source, will be stored by the body as fat."
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Big, giant, glaring issue with that article - "toxic ketones."

Ketones, in and of themselves, aren't toxic, and nutritional ketosis isn't bad. In fact, it's been used for years to help people with neurological-based issues (including seizures, migraines, and depression).

Ketoacidosis is bad, but it only occurs in diabetics who have an impaired ability to produce insulin, which is the balancing mechanism for ketone production.

Saying ketones are bad because diabetics can't produce enough insulin to balance them (thus, they get produced unchecked and reach toxic levels in the blood) is exactly like saying sugar is bad because diabetics can't produce enough insulin to balance it (which would also get dumped into the bloodstream unchecked, reaching toxic levels).

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201104/your-brain-ketones
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Replace as much of your "high protein" food with fruits and vegetables. Some veggies can have a lot of protein, not all, but fruits usually only have a little protein.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Replace as much of your "high protein" food with fruits and vegetables. Some veggies can have a lot of protein, not all, but fruits usually only have a little protein.

Why?
  • Lythy89
    Lythy89 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Protein is good, get as much of it as you can. Considering you don't have any internal problems to advise otherwise.