Please don't shoot me

Options
So, when doing squats and you say you squat 100lbs....are you counting the weight of the barbell as well or just the plates?

Replies

• robbrown3
    robbrown3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Count the weight of the barbell too. You're squating that weight just like the plates. No reason to short-change yourself
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I thought so too, just wanted to make sure! Thanks!
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I most definitely would count the bar as well. The bar is 45 pounds (at my gym). I can barely do more than just the bar.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah definitely, it's expected and assumed when you're talking about barbell exercises.

Anyone who claims you don't, is just being a bonehead.
  • sarahi2009
    Options
    Thanks guys, I feel better now. The bar at my gym on the smith's machine is 72.5......lol
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I feel better now. The bar at my gym on the smith's machine is 72.5......lol

I'm pretty sure Smith Machine bars only weigh 20 pounds.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    We won't shoot your for your question about the barbell weight,but people may shoot you when mention "lifting" in a Smith Machine! :laugh: Yes that bar at least at my gym for the smith is super light, like 20 pounds. No way its 72. May I ask why you are using a Smith machine instead of free weights?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I understood to count the smith at 35, but ya..either way there's no chance the smith bar is 72.5 lbs.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Get off the Smith machine, and no way the bar on that things weighs more than 35. As much as the machine holds it for you, it probably only weighs 10...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I understood to count the smith at 35, but ya..either way there's no chance the smith bar is 72.5 lbs.

They can range between 10 and 35. Most standard smith machines are 20. When couting the weight used on a smith machine I only count the plates and not the bar (I only use for OHP every few months).
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I had a smith at home with a 45 lb bar, but 72 is probably high. Can't imagine it.
  • sarahi2009
    Options
    I had a smith at home with a 45 lb bar, but 72 is probably high. Can't imagine it.

I thought so too but that's what the bar itself says...I should ask the gym owner!
  • sarahi2009
    Options
    We won't shoot your for your question about the barbell weight,but people may shoot you when mention "lifting" in a Smith Machine! :laugh: Yes that bar at least at my gym for the smith is super light, like 20 pounds. No way its 72. May I ask why you are using a Smith machine instead of free weights?

LOL...I use it for proper form..I do use free weights and the bar itself for other excercises
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

LOL...I use it for proper form..I do use free weights and the bar itself for other excercises
    Squatting on a smith machine is not proper form. Read this before you hurt yourself
    http://www.ptdirect.com/training-design/training-fundamentals/movement-mechanics-and-motor-learning/moment-arms-force-vectors-and-a-squat-analysis
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    I didn't know we were talking about a smith machine here. The smith machines I know of all have a cable that *basically* pull up on the bar with equal force, making it neutral.

In that case, you do not count the bar.

Also, you're better off learning the key points of proper form on the squat (search YouTube for "So you think you can squat?"), and using a free barbbell.

Smith squats don't give you any room to move forward or backwards AT ALL, and frankly at high weight (like, 1.5 - 2x bodyweight) I think I would hurt myself bigtime on the smith machine.
  • sarahi2009
    Options
    Okay, thanks! So smith's machine is out of my routine...damn no wonder it seem easier than I though it would be. Thanks for the articles and help...I am very new to weight training (no kidding) so I am learning as I go.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I recently started lifting (while I work away from home) and I texted my husband telling him I could only bench press 20 lbs and he almost died laughing . I didn't know the bar weighed 40 lbs ..:blushing:
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Okay, thanks! So smith's machine is out of my routine...damn no wonder it seem easier than I though it would be. Thanks for the articles and help...I am very new to weight training (no kidding) so I am learning as I go.

If you can trust me on this one, the best thing you can do right now is read up on lifting so you know what you're doing. I highly recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women. It 's an excellent book, and the routine at the end is pretty good, focused on fundamentals. The info in this book is gold though, it'll get you started on the right foot.
    I recently started lifting (while I work away from home) and I texted my husband telling him I could only bench press 20 lbs and he almost died laughing . I didn't know the bar weighed 40 lbs ..:blushing:

Adorable.
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Please please please step FAR FAR FAR away from the Smith machine.

There are So many resources to help you with proper squat form, lots of youtubes, people at the gym... just Please. Away from that awful contraption
  • sarahi2009
    Options
    Got, no more Smith's machine...thanks!