Cheat meals or days - good or bad?

Options
I go back and forth on this one. I think sometimes it's really important to have some variety and a sense of freedom when you are restricting calories and the types of food you are eating, but I am afraid that if I do have a cheat meal it will ruin my momentum. What do you think.

In my definition a cheat meal is a meal where you cannot properly count what you are eating by any means and you are definitely overeating.

I feel like if I have cheat meals they will knock me off the trajectory I am on, but if I don't have them I am worried repression will build and I will binge.

Replies

• whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I've observed that if you don't deprive yourself unreasonably on the regular days, there's no real craving or need to "cheat." It's my 1,200-calorie-net friends who most often go on a bender and eat all the junk foods.
  • aoikirin
    aoikirin Posts: 143
    Options
    I know but you're talking to someone who could eat a horse ;0
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    My steak gets angry when I sneak off with pizza. Cheating is wrong.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how you tend to do the day after. I really love having one day a week where I get nice and full -- just not hungry, I mean. That actually makes me less hungry for a few days, so it works out beautifully. But if it stirred up too many cravings or made me eat more later, I wouldn't do it.

I'm not even running much of a deficit, btw. I just still notice it and get hungry pretty much if I'm running one at all, lol. My cheat days have helped me feel satisfied for many more days than their extra calories could hurt. My averages are actually lower, because I'm not hungry all the time.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    you can always incorporate favorite foods into your cals if you're worried about feeling repressed and rebelling against your diet in an unconrtolled way.
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options

I'm sorry pizza but it was never to be. Steak demands my undivided loyalty and is way sexier than you anyway :P
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Btw cheat meals/days wouldn't be a good idea for me cause I get to a stage where I can't stop eating and my stomach just becomes a bottomless pit cause no matter what I eat I feel "hungry" and uncomfortable.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I think they are important. Write down the things you crave throughout the week, or two weeks. Eat those things on a specific day. I am not saying to eat 5000 calories, but eat them until you don't feel hungry. As you progress in your plan, your stomach gets smaller, and you just can't eat the amount that you use to eat. If you need them to stay on track, and not completely give up, by all means, have them. JMO
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    best thing for me is to eat whatever I want as long as I can fit it into my macros, this way I don't feel deprived and am less likely to binge

I see more people struggling here who try and restrict too harshly and feel deprived

far better for me to eat what I want , just less of it

of course this won't work for those with less will power
  • aoikirin
    aoikirin Posts: 143
    Options
    Well part of the problem in my case is that I have had a binge-eating disorder in the past, so I definitely use food for reasons I shouldn't. Basically it started because of restriction and feeling really hungry. So eventually I started to get so hungry that I would binge. Then I started to gain weight so I began to purge my binges.

I was bulimic on and off for about a year. I have completely stopped purging as a behavior. I haven't done it for many many many months, but it's kind of hard to go from eating a 8,000 calorie dinner to a 500 one. lol

The main thing for me is that I know how bad bulimia is for the body so I will never do it again. I may and will overeat, but I will never purge it. Never. I would rather be 400 lbs. than ever be bulimic again.

Sorry for the tmi, I just wanted to explain why I have cravings to cheat and eat large amounts of food.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on you and how your body responds. I feel ravenous the next day if I have a cheat day, and it takes me several days to get back on track. So, I don't cheat. I also have a tendency to binge, and cheat days are just a way of giving myself permission to munch all day long. Not a good idea! Now, if you can have some control, a cheat MEAL might not be a bad idea, if it doesn't make you hungrier the next day.
  • Spambo16
    Spambo16 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of the concept of "cheat" meals or days, from a psychological perspective. To me, "cheat" implies two things: 1) there are rules and you're breaking them, and 2) the way you're eating now is a temporary approach while you lose weight, and when you hit your goal weight, you'll be "done" and can then resume "normal" eating. (And then the weight comes right back on!)

As far as #1 goes, that's a problem for me because when I get tired or have had a bad day, I get rebellious and breaking the rules sounds like fun. So, by trying to remove the idea of "rules" from my eating, I'm less likely to self-sabotage.

#2 is what I've really done differently this time around, lifestyle change rather than diet, and it's working. There are some meals where I know I'm going to be way over calories, and that's okay, that's part of life. I try to make reasonable choices during them, but if I choose to have something really decadent, I savor every bite and know that I'll need to bump up my exercise the next few days. It's not about cheating, it's about balancing.
  • Spambo16
    Spambo16 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Sorry, it double-posted.
  • pierremignon
    pierremignon Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I used to have cheat days before, only to end up super guilty at the end of the day. So I just have cheat meals like once a week nowadays.

I guess it depends on the person, but I think there's nothing completely wrong with it. I usually just eat whatever junk I fancy that time because what usually happens is that if I deprive myself of eating, say, pizza, I just end up eating my healthy dinner + pizza (because everybody knows that my willpower is very inconsistent).
  • cajmanthei
    cajmanthei Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of the concept of "cheat" meals or days, from a psychological perspective. To me, "cheat" implies two things: 1) there are rules and you're breaking them, and 2) the way you're eating now is a temporary approach while you lose weight, and when you hit your goal weight, you'll be "done" and can then resume "normal" eating. (And then the weight comes right back on!)

As far as #1 goes, that's a problem for me because when I get tired or have had a bad day, I get rebellious and breaking the rules sounds like fun. So, by trying to remove the idea of "rules" from my eating, I'm less likely to self-sabotage.

#2 is what I've really done differently this time around, lifestyle change rather than diet, and it's working. There are some meals where I know I'm going to be way over calories, and that's okay, that's part of life. I try to make reasonable choices during them, but if I choose to have something really decadent, I savor every bite and know that I'll need to bump up my exercise the next few days. It's not about cheating, it's about balancing.

I agree with this. "Cheat" days or meals doesn't work well for me. Making new habits works much better.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Well part of the problem in my case is that I have had a binge-eating disorder in the past, so I definitely use food for reasons I shouldn't. Basically it started because of restriction and feeling really hungry. So eventually I started to get so hungry that I would binge. Then I started to gain weight so I began to purge my binges.

I was bulimic on and off for about a year. I have completely stopped purging as a behavior. I haven't done it for many many many months, but it's kind of hard to go from eating a 8,000 calorie dinner to a 500 one. lol

The main thing for me is that I know how bad bulimia is for the body so I will never do it again. I may and will overeat, but I will never purge it. Never. I would rather be 400 lbs. than ever be bulimic again.

Sorry for the tmi, I just wanted to explain why I have cravings to cheat and eat large amounts of food.

That's more than a "cheat meal," that's a full blown disorder. If I were you I'd get help for that. I was seeing a therapist who specialized in eating disorders and it helped tremendously. For me a "cheat" is having peanut M&Ms at the movies, not an 8000 calorie binge.
  • hollybaba123
    Options
    I allow myself a "free day" every week. It's usually on Sundays, after I weigh myself in the morning.
    Losing weight and being healthy is definitely a lifestyle change, not a quick fix. I don't like calling it "cheat days" because mentally, it has such negative connotations. Allowing myself one day a week helps to keep me from overeating and falling off the wagon all of the rest of the days of the week. I know that I have a special day where, if I have those cravings, I can plan accordingly. I can't imagine not allowing myself to indulge at all for the rest of my life. That wouldn't be pleasant at all!

If I DO have those "mid week" cravings, I pre-log everything to see if it'll fit into my calorie count for the day. Pre-logging everything also has helped me to stay on track. I have also tried healthier alternatives to my cravings, to cut down on the calories.
    www.hungrygirl.com has great, low calorie recipe swaps for popular delicious meals and desserts. :)
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

I'm sorry pizza but it was never to be. Steak demands my undivided loyalty and is way sexier than you anyway :P
    I'm sorry, Pizza. We had fun together - no, really, it was fun - but I think we both know it was never really a serious relationship. I feel like we've both grown since those heady days, and, in the process, have grown apart. I still like you, just not in that way. Hopefully, we can still be friends.
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Don't use the word cheat. It's a treat, because you're treating yourself for being so good the rest of the time ;)
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Interesting conundrum..... Personally, I advocate a cheat meal occasionally. It allows me to keep cravings under control. HOWEVER, My starting point is to eat whatever I want within my calories. That way a cheat meal is rarely needed, and usually called upon when eating out or staying away for work - it then becomes a neat way of plastering over a difficult situation. Also, I will then keep an eye on my weekly targets and try to align that. That way, a 'cheat' meal or day is not even relevant. However, with you having suffered the ED, I would not necessarily advocate this because I don't know the background to it, particularly as you also say on your profile that you have always struggled with your weight. I would have hoped that your therapist would have dealt with this issue with you, but since you ask the question, I am guessing not. My honest advice would be to contact your therapist since any ad-hock advice from a forum is likely to undo all the good work that they have done for you.