10 Day Juice

Options

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Why not just consume a rational diet that you enjoy?
    Because most people assume you can't possibly lose weight unless you suffer/punish yourself in the process.

this
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Saw the same one.

NO

For the reasons everybody else has already said.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    In regards to losing muscle on a juice fast... simply not possible if you have fat on your body.
    Source for this?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Why not just consume a rational diet that you enjoy?
    Because most people assume you can't possibly lose weight unless you suffer/punish yourself in the process.
    +1. People that are unknowledgable in physiology try to relate it to things like cars, A/C filters, etc. so "dirty" eating must be unacceptable to attain reasonable health or weight loss.

IDEA Fitness member
  • JohnnyBravo64
    Options
    Sorry for the late response. I fell off the mfp plan back in June/July. So I was going through my posts and read yours. Thank you for your honesty and directness. Seems like we Americans are always looking for the quick and easy fixes. I'm not new to exercise (been lifting on and off for 32 years), but my diet was always lousy. Now as I'm knocking on the door of 50, I can't eat like that anymore. When I was on my mfp plan I was consuming 1700cal/day and exercising harder than ever and I dropped almost 20lbs. My goal weight is 190lbs, which for my height @ 5'9" and muscle mass, I really need to get my metabolism revved up. I started 5 days ago an aggressive plan and am looking forward to getting back on track from June. For some reason, summer time is harder to exercise regularly vs winter months. Oh and I never started the juice detox after doing the research.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the late response.

Better late than never. It's always nice to hear back from people, to see where they are now.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I did the juicing detox and lasted 8.5 days. I was super weak, but oddly felt so much better, if that makes sense. If you want to detox I would suggest doing the juice plus eating raw veggies and fruits in between. Honestly, there are studies that will prove both sides of every theory, so the best way to find out is do it for yourself. My dad, the ultimate mcdonalds lover, is obsessed with juicing. The only reason why we aren't juicing right now is because we are broke. A cup of juice in the morning will give you way more zing than a cup of coffee
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I did the juicing detox and lasted 8.5 days. I was super weak, but oddly felt so much better, if that makes sense. If you want to detox I would suggest doing the juice plus eating raw veggies and fruits in between. Honestly, there are studies that will prove both sides of every theory, so the best way to find out is do it for yourself. My dad, the ultimate mcdonalds lover, is obsessed with juicing. The only reason why we aren't juicing right now is because we are broke. A cup of juice in the morning will give you way more zing than a cup of coffee

billy+madison+quote.jpg
  • cstigs84
    cstigs84 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think people already know the answer to questions like this even before posting, but are hoping someone will come along and say it really is the magical holy grail of weight loss. Ask yourself a couple of questions before doing something like this:

1. It's called a detox. What EXACTLY are you being detoxified of?

2. Does consuming nothing but liquids, particularly juice, seem healthy to you?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    el9zRsJ.gif
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options

billy+madison+quote.jpg

Say what you want, but instead of judging something I never did before, I tried it for myself and was giving the experience I had. But good job at trying to be cute
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

billy+madison+quote.jpg

Say what you want, but instead of judging something I never did before, I tried it for myself and was giving the experience I had. But good job at trying to be cute

There is not one study that backs up a "dettox".

The end.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Honestly, there are studies that will prove both sides of every theory, so the best way to find out is do it for yourself.
    There is no "theory" when it comes to proving that it doesn't work, but actual clinical studies that factually show that there is NO EVIDENCE that juicing does any type of detoxing/cleansing of the system at all.
    "Theory" is for those that promote that it does detox/cleanse and that's all it is.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Safiyandi
    Options
    I was super weak, but oddly felt so much better, if that makes sense.

That's common with VLCD diets, regardless of what you're eating - it has nothing to do with detoxing, I'm afraid.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I saw that documentary too. What struck me is that he admitted to eating a very unhealthy diet, and in excessive amounts. As in burgers, take aways, pizzas, sugary drinks, etc. when you go from this excessive lifestyle to ANY calorie restrictive eating style which incorporates fresh veg, fruits, nuts or meats, the body will get better because it longer sees excessive amounts of high calorie, nutrient deficient, junk food. So, I don't think it's the juicing that helped, I think it's avoiding eating junk food in excessive amounts. Therefore, I think there are more sustainable, palatable, and equally effective healthy eating programs that can easily compete with the juicing diet program.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options
    I'm not talking master cleanse juice, im talking about green juice. I always got around 1300-1500 cals a day when I was juicing, and there are many posts on here that show studies that it doesn't matter what source your calorie comes from, as long as you make your goal and don't go over you are good. But there are also posts here that disprove that theory. My view is that if you are getting your daily amount of cals form fruit in veg, then good for you.

edit: its funny that when people freak out about eating pizza, every one encourages it, as long as its in their calorie goal, but if someone wants to drink juice people have a problem with it.
  • Safiyandi
    Options
    Aaah, I see. There are a looooot of juice cleanses out there that have you eat like 700kcal/day for a while, I tend to just assume that's what someone's talking about when they mention a week- or two-week program.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options
    Aaah, I see. There are a looooot of juice cleanses out there that have you eat like 700kcal/day for a while, I tend to just assume that's what someone's talking about when they mention a week- or two-week program.

oh, those are poppycock. No way in hell am I going to drink lemon juice for that long. I like lemons, but more in the merengue or bar version lol.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

oh, those are poppycock. No way in hell am I going to drink lemon juice for that long. I like lemons, but more in the merengue or bar version lol.

Having a juice or 2 a day is fine if you like drinking smashed up veggies, etc. That's a lot different than trying to live on nothing but juice for extended periods of time.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm not talking master cleanse juice, im talking about green juice. I always got around 1300-1500 cals a day when I was juicing, and there are many posts on here that show studies that it doesn't matter what source your calorie comes from, as long as you make your goal and don't go over you are good. But there are also posts here that disprove that theory. My view is that if you are getting your daily amount of cals form fruit in veg, then good for you.
    Posts don't disprove ACTUAL EVIDENCE. Studies that show macro/micro nutrient optimal intakes don't disregard where they are sourced from. Meat from a hamburger from Mcdonald's and meat from a grocery store are both broken down the same way by the body into it's simplest form (amino acids) to be absorb. Show me ANYWHERE from any text book that that is "theory".
    edit: its funny that when people freak out about eating pizza, every one encourages it, as long as its in their calorie goal, but if someone wants to drink juice people have a problem with it.
    Drinking juice is fine. But eating the whole sources that juice comes from is better. The problem lies in what "juicers" claim that juice is a much better way to intake nutrients when it's not entirely true.

IDEA Fitness member