Non-wavers

Options
What's up with dog-walkers, walkers, runners, bikers not returning a wave or at least a head-nod?

Am I just too Southern for my own good?

I don't stop to shave everyone's hand while waving, but a quick hand gesture/wave is most times not returned.

Am I a weirdo?

Replies

• suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Nah, I wave too. I guess they're just extremely "focused."

They're probably just butts.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Is stopping to shave people's hands socially acceptable?
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    No, you aren't a weirdo. I am not southern :-) and pretty much always say hello to anyone I pass (coming or going) when I am running. I will also aways at least nod while on the bike. I think it's rare if they choose to not say hi or nod/wave back. I'm shy but pretty friendly and communicating with my fellow humans makes me happy and it often makes people smile, so I will keep doing it regardless of whether they say hi back. We all have to share the planet, so I like to add as much positive "energy" (for lack of a better descriptor) as I can.

People might not acknowledge you for many reasons--they could be focused, or shy, or having a bad day, or spacing out, or just not a nice person. Keep doing it, and keep working on the planet's cohesiveness :-)
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with saying hello in passing, however, I'm always confused when running on a local track. Do you have to acknowledge the person every time you pass them? It's very awkward. After several laps, you either head nod or ignore? I think I'm too southern, too. :noway:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Where I live it's customary to acknowledge other runners (a wave, a nod or a good morning/bonjour), there are also walkers & cyclists I see regularly during my runs that will wave or say hello.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Most people here will nod or wave if I'm walking or running (when I'm running it's usually a nod or a wheezed Hi) but when I first started cycling I found that the "real" cyclists wouldn't even acknowledge my existence on my granny bike. As I got better, got the "right" clothes, a new road bike and such, they now give me the nod as they blow by me. I remember coming home after the first time I got a nod so excited. My friend calls them the Spandex Nazis because they all dress the same with this look of grim determination on their faces as they ride in sequence!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    For some of us social interactions are stressful. If we look away or ignore you don't take it personally. It just causes stress and anxiety to interact (even a nod or a wave) with complete strangers.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I went for a run a while back on my lunch break (it was supposed to be a walk, but my feet got away from me, so my body was forced to keep up). I saw a man dressed in actual work out attire running also, so I excitedly smiled and waved. and all I got was a very confused look in return. I think it was because of the slacks and button down shirt.

people are weird. :p
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    It can go too far though ... we've got one in our neighborhood we call the Early Waver ... like to the point that you don't know if it's you that's being waved to. really awkward.
  • thatjeffsmith
    thatjeffsmith Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    however, I'm always confused when running on a local track. Do you have to acknowledge the person every time you pass them? It's very awkward.

That could turn into a fun game of chicken, lol.
  • thatjeffsmith
    Options
    I also see motorcyclists wave at the risk of injury whenever they pass another fellow rider.

Maybe folks are too busy concentrating on their work-out, but I tend to think folks are just becoming more anti-social, or societal norms have changed and I'm officially old-fashioned.
  • shells1234
    shells1234 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If I make eye contact I usually smile then if they wave or something then I nod or wave... I don't make the first move...
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Is stopping to shave people's hands socially acceptable?

LOL
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I would probably run away if anyone stopped to shave anything on me but I always wave or nod if I see someone else do it. There have probably been times I didn't notice and looked as if I was ignoring them.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    What's up with dog-walkers, walkers, runners, bikers not returning a wave or at least a head-nod?

Am I just too Southern for my own good?

Yes
    I don't stop to shave everyone's hand while waving, but a quick hand gesture/wave is most times not returned.

Am I a weirdo?

Yes :flowerforyou:
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    People nearly always say good morning or wave back to me when I run. I think I read them before I say hi, so if they're the type to want to avoid a greeting I make mine extra loud and friendly. I usually get at least a grunt back from even the most reluctant recipients. So, it may be where I live, or you may want to tweak your approach OP:)
  • thatjeffsmith
    Options
    If someone offered me a 'shave,' I think I'd just run faster - in the opposite direction!

I'm just talking about a simple nod of the head, or a hand/wrist up...

I'm the same person that gets mad if I don't get a wave after letting someone into traffic, so maybe the problem is mine.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If someone offered me a 'shave,' I think I'd just run faster - in the opposite direction!

I'm just talking about a simple nod of the head, or a hand/wrist up...

I'm the same person that gets mad if I don't get a wave after letting someone into traffic, so maybe the problem is mine.

Maybe you just take it personally. I commented above to say that interacting with strangers (even a wave or a nod) is stressful. It has nothing to do with you and everything to do with how my brain functions. Some days it's a chore to simply leave the house. I have mild panic attacks when the phone rings and I don't recognize the number.
  • seed_of_wonder
    seed_of_wonder Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    i wave at everyone and if we make eye contact, im going to smile.
    its so awkward when you wave and just get a blank stare back hah
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I now live in rural Scotland where everybody talks to strangers. When I go back to visit family in London, I forget that nobody there does this and everyone looks at me like I'm mad.