The Rungries - Do they calm down ever?

Options
So I have noticed that when I started running for more than an hour at a time, I am MUCH hungrier. I've heard this called the rungries. Runners World says that at shorter distances, running suppresses your appetite. As you get to longer distances your apetite increases and you may want to eat more than you burned. They say this is worse with women. For me, this kicks in when I get over ~ 75 minutes of running.

I've read about this on MFP also.

My question is - Does this go away or decrease when you are in better shape?

My story in brief. I lost 30 lbs and I am at goal. I like to run. I want to work up to longer distances like a half marathon. I also do some resistance training. (I run every other day. I eat very clean, lots of fruits and vegetables, high fiber, no red meat, lots of dairy.)

When I was running an hour or so, everything was fine. (been on MFP since Jan 2013). When I run more than an hour and a half, I am much hungier.

My diary is closed. I do track and measure religiously. I'm not asking you to review my diary, just want to know your experience with the rungries and does it get better.

Replies

• CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Do you have anything after your run? I'm working on the one hour runner program and haven't had the rungries yet. Today's run will be 50 minutes of running. I usually have a scoop of GNC Wheybolic protein powder in a cup of unsweetened almond milk when I get home from my run. It curbs my appetite. It's 130 calories and 21 grams of protein. As I go further in distance, I'll probably increase the amount of my recovery drink.
  • twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    They haven't so far for me. I've been running for over a year consistently (I've been running longer than that but had quite a few injuries in the beginning) and I'm training for my first half marathon... I cannot.lose. *sigh*

I am just hungrier and struggle to stay in my calories (1700-1800) when in the past with less mileage, it was easy. I don't have a lot of suggestions, but am interested in hearing what others have to say. I know most will say that when you are training you usually do not lose weight. I've just kind of resolved to let go of it because for me, it's more important that I run and achieve my running goals than losing more at this point.
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't run but I have a friend who runs marathons and have watched her lose a lot of weight (unintentionally). She eats healthy but very heartily. She intentionally eats high calorie items (peanut butter for example) and is still a size 4 or 6. My only question/suggestion is to explore whether you know how many calories you are really burning during your workout because it could be higher than you think and you could perhaps be needing more food.
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    anyone else running long distances and experience with hunger increases?