MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    590metabolism.gif

its so colorful i can't look away but so confusing i wanna

6482_wm.gif
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary and I have a few observations.

1). Not sure you are recording food accurately (are you weighing them or guessing the grams or ounces?
    2) Some food have suspiciously wrong macronutrients, like the angel food cake with zero carbs. Hmmm....
    3) You are overheating on total calories, as well as protein. Did you know that your body takes excess protein and converts it into sugar, via a "de novo genesis" biochemical process. So it's like you are eating carbs if you eat too much protein. All you need is 1.5 grams protein per kg of lean body mass. So what it looks like to me is you are actually overheating carbs, in the process of overheating protein.
    4) have you tried going into ketosis on a diet that allows meat? I eat meat and I have been in ketosis for months and I'm doing great, I love it! I'm losing 1 or more lbs per week consistently. It's a strategy that works for ME. You need to find a strategy that works for you.

Good luck, sweetheart.

#3 Is gluconeogenesis. Stop giving advice if you don't know what you're talking about it. It isn't helpful.

Well, thank you Mr. schwarzenegger. So kind of you to make time to post your comment. By the way de novo genesis is just a technical term meaning the process of creating (genesis) something new (de novo). And gluconeogenesis is indeed that - note the usage of similar terms like neo = de novo, and of course genesis = genesis. But, that's ok, I wasn't expecting you to think that hard. And oh by the way, I took a peek at your diary...I see you have macdonalds, and chik-fil-a and related high quality foods on a regular basis. OMG, what a genius. Shall I follow your advice instead?

You are misunderstanding the process. Excess protein is only converted to glucose when your glycogen and glucose stores are depleted. Glucose is fuel, and I believe you are confusing it with sugar (which on its own also does not cause weight gain, but this myth is more widely perpetuated). Excess energy (calories) is what contributes to weight gain which occurs when you are at a caloric surplus. You don't need to be nasty. Since errata is at a caloric deficit and, to a degree of lesser importance, hits his macronutrient goals the type of food he chooses is irrelevant.

By the way, I thought you might find it interesting that while Mark's Daily Apple touts "clean" eating and "unprocessed" food yet he sells a processed protein powder. Hmmmm... wonder what that'$ all about.

I totally agree with you there, Hayley. Those powders and bars and stuff is not REAL FOOD, and it counteracts his arguments. I think it is not healthy eating fake foods and promotes the wrong eating habits. I used the link from daily apple as an "easy to read in layman terms" piece, and actually I was going to copy a link from peter Attia instead, but it was pretty heavy on the technical lingo. Just wanted to put a point across in a simple manner.

It depends on the individual whether or not they can eat what you call "fake foods" without developing bad eating habits. I fully recognize that some people have trigger foods that lead them to binging or falling off the wagon. But those are people that have unhealthy relationships with those foods. Ideally, a person should be able to eat whatever they want, within their calorie and macro goals, without the risk of binging.

I travel a lot, so I eat a lot of fast food. I have still managed to lose weight and actually have an easier time with that than at home when cooking.

Yeah, I hear you, travel quite a bit myself too. Had to go through all sorts of scenarios testing what works and doesn't work with carrying snacks (nuts, jerky, etc) and going crazy ordering stuff at restaurants. The key is, finding what works for your body.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

1). Not sure you are recording food accurately (are you weighing them or guessing the grams or ounces?
    2) Some food have suspiciously wrong macronutrients, like the angel food cake with zero carbs. Hmmm....
    3) You are overheating on total calories, as well as protein. Did you know that your body takes excess protein and converts it into sugar, via a "de novo genesis" biochemical process. So it's like you are eating carbs if you eat too much protein. All you need is 1.5 grams protein per kg of lean body mass. So what it looks like to me is you are actually overheating carbs, in the process of overheating protein.
    4) have you tried going into ketosis on a diet that allows meat? I eat meat and I have been in ketosis for months and I'm doing great, I love it! I'm losing 1 or more lbs per week consistently. It's a strategy that works for ME. You need to find a strategy that works for you.

Good luck, sweetheart.

#3 Is gluconeogenesis. Stop giving advice if you don't know what you're talking about it. It isn't helpful.

Well, thank you Mr. schwarzenegger. So kind of you to make time to post your comment. By the way de novo genesis is just a technical term meaning the process of creating (genesis) something new (de novo). And gluconeogenesis is indeed that - note the usage of similar terms like neo = de novo, and of course genesis = genesis. But, that's ok, I wasn't expecting you to think that hard. And oh by the way, I took a peek at your diary...I see you have macdonalds, and chik-fil-a and related high quality foods on a regular basis. OMG, what a genius. Shall I follow your advice instead?

You are misunderstanding the process. Excess protein is only converted to glucose when your glycogen and glucose stores are depleted. Glucose is fuel, and I believe you are confusing it with sugar (which on its own also does not cause weight gain, but this myth is more widely perpetuated). Excess energy (calories) is what contributes to weight gain which occurs when you are at a caloric surplus. You don't need to be nasty. Since errata is at a caloric deficit and, to a degree of lesser importance, hits his macronutrient goals the type of food he chooses is irrelevant.

By the way, I thought you might find it interesting that while Mark's Daily Apple touts "clean" eating and "unprocessed" food yet he sells a processed protein powder. Hmmmm... wonder what that'$ all about.

I totally agree with you there, Hayley. Those powders and bars and stuff is not REAL FOOD, and it counteracts his arguments. I think it is not healthy eating fake foods and promotes the wrong eating habits. I used the link from daily apple as an "easy to read in layman terms" piece, and actually I was going to copy a link from peter Attia instead, but it was pretty heavy on the technical lingo. Just wanted to put a point across in a simple manner.

It depends on the individual whether or not they can eat what you call "fake foods" without developing bad eating habits. I fully recognize that some people have trigger foods that lead them to binging or falling off the wagon. But those are people that have unhealthy relationships with those foods. Ideally, a person should be able to eat whatever they want, within their calorie and macro goals, without the risk of binging.

I travel a lot, so I eat a lot of fast food. I have still managed to lose weight and actually have an easier time with that than at home when cooking.

Yeah, I hear you, travel quite a bit myself too. Had to go through all sorts of scenarios testing what works and doesn't work with carrying snacks (nuts, jerky, etc) and going crazy ordering stuff at restaurants. The key is, finding what works for your body.

I wouldn't say finding what works for your body, so much as what is sustainable for you personally. We don't all exist in a vacuum, which is why I have largely made peace with the cleaning eating/Paleo/Keto/etc crowds. Any can work with proper adherence, but preference and sustainability are incredibly important.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Good luck, sweetheart.

But it's okay to rudely point out someone else's fast food choices (without knowing their situation) and basically shame them for eating it?

Oh.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I think I eat pretty well. Not as well as I could, but a lot better than most unemployed college students. I have my macros/micros set to the DASH diet, which is a set of guidelines meant to slow/prevent the onset of hypertension. I've had pretty good success so far in losing weight, both before I joined MFP and in the last couple months since I've joined. I still have a very long way to go, but I don't feel "diet fatigue" and I'm excited to be starting at a new gym very soon.

It seems like I never get enough carbs by most diet standards. The only days where I meet my carbohydrate goal are the days I go way over on calories overall. I know it's not affecting my weight loss (or if it is, it's so little I don't care,) but could eating with the carb/fat/protein breakdown I usually have pose an issue for other health concerns?

A few years ago I ate a raw vegan diet that was mostly fats and proteins which caused me to have the classic signs of ketosis, so I know what that feels (and smells) like, and I'm not at that point at all. However, I'm trying as much as I can to eat healthy.

My diary is open, and I'm open to suggestions/advice.

I took a quick look at your diary (just the macros) and didn't see anything out of line. You're getting adequate (albeit on the low side) protein, fats, and carbs. Just make sure you're logging everything accurately.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I wanted to see if I could run like Usain Bolt. Apparently eating 1000 mcnuggets, I mean fake nuggets, can help you win gold medals.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

What does this have to do with weight loss?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Good luck, sweetheart.

It is so hot when you talk like this.

Totally!! :laugh:

Maybe the poster above ought to learn a little about "real" science instead of relying on the pseudoscience in Mark's Daily Apple? Pro tip: If someone is trying to sell you their books and programs and supplements, their science is likely incomplete and cherry picked.
    What's wrong with reading real studies?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    No, not meeting your carb goal is not going to negatively effect your health. The important macronutrient goals to meet are protein and fat. Those are minimums and can be exceeded. If you are feeling great and things are working for you, congrats and stop worrying, you're doing a good job!

And this! /thread.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Way to totally hijack the OP's thread while offering her no useful advice at all! :drinker:
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I looked back a few weeks and did not see any days you dropped below 140g carb. Your carb levels are fine. In addition to what the scale is doing a great judge of ones diet is their mood, energy level and cravings. So long as those are all good, and the scale is moving in the right direction, you do not need to worry about arbitrary guidelines that are not in line with your particular goals. Carbs are the best macro to adjust when one needs to reduce calories.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options

What does this have to do with weight loss?

I'll agree with everyone who said it doesn't matter really what you eat as long as you're under your calorie goal... HOWEVER, that is only if losing weight is your only goal. I'd shudder to see what a longtime diet of McD's would do to someone's body, even if they were losing weight while on it. BLECH!