fresh ideas for beef nd recipes

Options
ell_v131
ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
Hi, I lover cooking But don't have the creative gene: ) I learned a lot of chicken recipes, But would love to be able to do more beef since I do enjoy red meat. There is the obvious steak, but other than that and a chilli I'm usually at a loss.

I want to cook with lean meat, tenderloin or sirloin. I would also prefer to cook with whole cuts or chunks. Since I'm trying hard to reach my protein goals, I would rather have a bigger chunk of meat on my plate than spend my calories on too many carbs, of which I get plenty during breakfast and lunch.

Can't wait to hear your amazing ideas!

oh and pork recipes are also welcome!

P.s. there is a typo in the topic. It was supposed to say "and pork" But my fingers failed me on my phone screen and it says "nd" only. It's no mysterious abbreviation: )

Replies

• ell_v131
    Options
    Bump
  • slmakar
    Options
    Beef and broccoli

Steak, seasoned with a good soy sauce, some garlic and some ginger
    Broccoli
    Rice

Get the rice going right away, unless you are using minute rice. Then panfry a steak to your taste (medium rare, well done, etc), then set it aside to rest. Then cook broccoli in the juices of the steak, covered so they steam. You may need to add some water and/or little soy sauce to keep it from scorching)

When the steak is cool enough, slice it up and serve it with the broccoli and rice.
    It will be a bit bland, so season it with more soy, salt and pepper or more garlic, or a little chili sauce to give it some kick.

I like this recipe because
    -it's very simple - only 6 ingredients
    -the main ingredients are cooked separate, so you can load up on broccoli if you are starving, or chow down on more steak when you need that red meat fix
  • ell_v131
    Options
    Thank you, I'll try that!

• mrsohlson
    mrsohlson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This crockpot beef stew is delicious! I prep it the night before, then mix and turn on in the morning. It's awesome to come home to dinner cooked and ready!

http://www.mrshappyhomemaker.com/2012/09/best-ever-beef-stew/
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I love ground beef and lots of veggies (like zucchini and bell peppers) in a tomato sauce (or with diced tomatoes) over whole grain pasta
  • ell_v131
    Options
    These both sound great! I have to get myself a slow cooker, but no space in the kitchen, literally. Thinking of getting rid of the microwave to make the space, I don't have much use for it anyways :)
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I use my slow cooker for almost everything I can. I love pork chops and apples in the slow cookers, just some cinnamon and a little brother and you are good to go also I add squash to it at times.
  • kakemono
    kakemono Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like making the seasoning for taco meat and just eating the taco meat by itself. You could probably just buy seasoning packets if you are lazy though.
  • ell_v131
    Options
    I like making the seasoning for taco meat and just eating the taco meat by itself. You could probably just buy seasoning packets if you are lazy though.

Not lazy! I prefer real seasonings to packs, which I find have to much sodium... What spices do you use?
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If you have mince you could make your own burgers or meatballs quite easily just by adding an egg, seasoning, and giving it all a thorough mix before moulding it to the right shape.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    http://www.supercook.com/

You can put in the ingredients you have on hand and it'll tell you what you can make with them. Maybe add foods you like and see what it comes up with!
  • ell_v131
    Options
    A lot of you use the word 'seasoning' But they vary by country, and I live in a very small one that carries very different stuff. If any of you could point me to the specific herb and spice combinations that you enjoy, I would be grateful. The mixing doesn't come very naturally to me.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    A lot of you use the word 'seasoning' But they vary by country, and I live in a very small one that carries very different stuff. If any of you could point me to the specific herb and spice combinations that you enjoy, I would be grateful. The mixing doesn't come very naturally to me.

yes same for me all of this !!!! I am in New Zealand btw.
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    I use my slow cooker for almost everything I can. I love pork chops and apples in the slow cookers, just some cinnamon and a little brother and you are good to go also I add squash to it at times.

LOL....is it wrong that I'm laughing about you putting your little brother in a slow cooker? :laugh:

Was it meant to say butter?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    What I've been having recently for my post-workout meal is...
    450g extra lean minced (ground) beef - <5% fat
    Garlic granules
    An onion
    Jar of Ragu Tomato and Basil sauce (which are currently by one get two free where I shop)
    Pasta to bump up carb levels.

Without the pasta it's around 750 calories with 100g of protein (22 fat, 34 carbs).
    Use a decent non stick pan, so no oil etc.

Ok, technically that should be enough to feed four!
    So at least it does tend to keep me reasonably full for a bit :).
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options

LOL....is it wrong that I'm laughing about you putting your little brother in a slow cooker? :laugh:

Was it meant to say butter?

haha I wondered this as well !
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    You want chunks, too? Try this:

Recipe: Beef Rendang (Rendang Daging) or Spicy Beef Stew with Coconut

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pound boneless beef short ribs (cut into cubes)
    5 tablespoons cooking oil
    1 cinnamon stick (about 2-inch long)
    3 cloves
    3 star anise
    3 cardamom pods
    1 lemongrass (cut into 4-inch length and pounded)
    1 cup thick coconut milk
    1 cup water
    2 teaspoons tamarind pulp (soaked in some warm water for the juice and discard the seeds )
    6 kaffir lime leaves (very finely sliced)
    6 tablespoons kerisik (toasted coconut)
    1 tablespoon sugar/palm sugar or to taste
    Salt to taste

Spice Paste:

5 shallots
    1 inch galangal
    3 lemongrass (white part only)
    5 cloves garlic
    1 inch ginger
    10-12 dried chilies (soaked in warm water and seeded)

Method:

Chop the spice paste ingredients and then blend it in a food processor until fine.
    Heat the oil in a stew pot, add the spice paste, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, and cardamom and stir-fry them until aromatic.
    Add the beef and the pounded lemongrass and stir for 1 minute.
    Add the coconut milk, tamarind juice, water, and simmer on medium heat, stirring frequently until the meat is almost cooked.
    Add the kaffir lime leaves, kerisik (toasted coconut), sugar/palm sugar, stirring to blend well with the meat.
    Lower the heat to low, cover the lid, and simmer for 1 – 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is really tender and the gravy has dried up.
    Add salt to taste. If not sweet enough, add more sugar to taste.
    Serve immediately with steamed rice and save some for overnight.
    Cook’s Notes:

To prepare the kerisik or toasted coconut, just add the grated coconut to a dry wok and stir continuosly until they turn golden brown.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    Bulgogi style beef (Korean BBQ style beef)

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/korean-sizzling-beef

If you think it is too much work to slice the beef thinly, you can buy thinly sliced bulgogi beef in the freezer section of an Asian grocer. Alternatively, you can ask a butcher to slice the meat on the machine used for cold cuts, as for carpaccio.

Tagliata di Manzo (Thinly sliced rare steak on rocket salad with parmesan shavings)

https://www.waitrose.com/content/waitrose/en/home/recipes/recipe_directory/h/heston_s_tagliata_with_rocket_and_parmesan_salad.html

This is my lo cal, high protein go to recipe in an Italian restaurant.
  • Lovey50
    Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My Granny's pot roast recipe is an extended family favorite. It uses a rump roast, but you can make it with top or bottom round or short ribs or any big ol' hunka meat ;) It is best cooked in an enameled cast iron pot with a lid, but you can use any heavy-bottomed pot.

GRANNY BRIGGIE'S POT ROAST:

1 rump roast, 2.5 to 4.5 lbs (doesn't matter how big--just be sure it fits into your cooking pot with a little room for veggies)
    1-3 onions, peeled and quartered
    1-3 carrots, peeled and cut into big chunks
    1-3 celery stalks plus leaves, washed and cut into big chunks
    4-8 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole

*You can add/substitute parsnips and shallots or leeks for carrots and onions - or use them all :)

1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1/2 to 1 bottle red wine (could use a dry white if its what you have)
    Fresh herbs, left whole - any combo of rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage
    2-4 bay leaves
    a small handful of peppercorns
    2-3 whole cloves
    2 TB olive or other oil for browning the meat
    salt and pepper

1. Pat the beef dry and season liberally with salt and pepper.
    2. Heat the oil in the pot on med/high to high until shimmering.
    3. Turn on your vent and/or dismantle your smoke alarm - browning the meat properly will make the kitchen smoky :)
    4. Add your meat to the hot pot. Brown each side about 5 minutes, or until every side is deep brown. DONT SKIMP on the browning - you want a deeep brown surface - this helps seal the juices in and adds to the flavor by creating a fond, which is the brown-black stuff stuck on the bottom of the pot.
    5. Once every side is browned, add your garlic to heat and brown a little - about a minute or two.
    6. Add onions, carrots, celery anywhere where you can wedge in;)
    7. Turn heat to high and deglaze the pot with the wine - add enough wine to go half way up the side of the meat. Using a spoon, scratch at the fond at the bottom of the pan to release it into the wine.
    8. Add tomato paste, fresh herbs, bay leaves, peppercorns, and cloves.
    9. Add enough water to reach just below the surface of the roast.
    10. Bring to a full boil, then lower the heat to a simmer.
    11. Cover the pot and cook at a simmer ( small bubbles all around the edge of the pot; not raging bubbles).
    12. Cook for at least 2.5 hours. 3 hours is perfect. 3.5 hours is fine, too.

MAKING GRAVY:

1. Remove the pot roast from the pot and let it rest on a cutting board lightly covered in tin foil.
    2. Strain the gravy into a large saucepan.
    3. Using a large metal or wooden spoon, push all the veggies through the strainer, scraping the strained stuff off the bottom of the strainer into the gravy. This will give you a decent workout;) It adds great flavor and helps thicken the gravy.
    4. Taste and season with salt, pepper, and maybe a splash of cognac or sherry or brandy and a pat of butter, though its optional.
    5. Return the gravy to the stove and heat until just simmering.
    6. If you want a thicker gravy, make a flour emulsion by whisking 1/2 C cold water into 2 TB flour in a small cup. Continue whisking as you add it to the simmering gravy. Continue whisking the gravy to cook the flour for another 2 minutes, and season to taste.

Granny served this with braised red cabbage, green beans, and mashed potatoes.

The leftovers are heavenly in a sandwich with a sprinkle of kosher or sea salt, some sliced sweet onion and arugula, and some mayonnaise. I also like ketchup on mine :)
  • Lovey50
    Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This recipe for Pork Chops with Apples and Onions is divine. From Anne Burrell, who can cook no wrong ;)

PORK CHOPS WITH APPLES AND ONIONS:

Ingredients
    4 bone-in pork loin chops, 1- inch thick
    Kosher salt
    Extra-virgin olive oil
    2 onions, thinly sliced
    1 pinch crushed red pepper
    2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
    Pinch cinnamon
    2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves finely chopped
    2 cups apple cider
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Season the pork chops generously with salt. Coat a large saute pan with olive oil and bring it to a high heat. Sear the pork on both sides and on the fat edge, working in batches if the chops don't all fit in the pan at the same time. Be sure not to crowd the pan. Remove the pork from the pan and place on a cookie sheet. Finish the pork in the oven for about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

Ditch the excess fat from the saute pan. Give a drizzle of fresh olive oil and add the onions and crushed red pepper and season with salt. Cook until the onions become soft and aromatic. Add the apples, cinnamon and rosemary and toss to coat with the oil. Add the cider and cook until the cider has reduced by two-thirds and the onion-apple mixture is very soft and saucy. Serve over the pork chops.

Porky deliciousness!

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/pork-chops-with-apples-and-onions-recipe2/index.html?oc=linkback