Criticism for losing weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Im not sure these comments are always from jealously, but yes it is rude, perhaps for some reason people feel it is okay to comment on weight loss rather than weight gain as that is a more sensitive topic. Maybe it it also because so many people struggle to lose weight and dont understand how you could lose so much so fast in a healthy way. In time they will get used to it, just focus on the positive and all the encouraging comments and feedback from this site and good friends.
  • carpetbagger12000
    carpetbagger12000 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My in-laws give me a hard time in a teasing way when it is obvious I am exercising portion control. Most of them are overweight/obese, except for one brother-in-law who actually said to me, “Would it kill you to gain a pound?” My daughter was obese and they didn’t say a word about it. When she joined MFP and lost over 50 lbs. and started running and working out, the compliments were forthcoming. I, on the other hand, get chided for trying to maintain a youthful figure. I don’t get it either.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people are critical because they feel jealous or insecure. Keep your chin up and do what is right for you. They will eventually get tired of it. Good luck on your journey.
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Im perpetually told to not lose any more.
    Sometimes the comments are veiled in a question, "So how much more are you thinking about losing? *sideeye*

As long as you are remaining within a healthy range, and making the changes in a healthy manner continue until you are pleased.

Make sure to reassess every now and again though, make sure your mindset is healthy so that YOU are seeing YOURSELF and not your previously obese version :)
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I've gotten the you're starving yourself, you're wasting away and you have an ED while eating more nutritious food and being more full then them.
    All from overweight or obese family.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    You KNOW you look much better and FEEL much better!! So turn off your hearing aid and look the other way when snarky remarks are coming at you. Or you can say, "Want to race?" :laugh:
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I can`t wait to be told that I am too skinny!!!!!
    No, but seriously, people don`t like other people changing and taking care of themselves because it just puts in their own face what THEY are not able/unwilling to do. Screw them! Enjoy your new body! :-)