Non-wavers

Options
2»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'll return a wave from anyone (if I see it in time)...

...but for initiating a wave, I usually only do to others who are doing a similar activity: when running, I wave to runners...when walking, I wave to walkers...and when biking, I wave to bikers.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If someone doesn't wave to me when I pass then I chase them down and trip them. They always wave the next time I see them.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    What's up with dog-walkers, walkers, runners, bikers not returning a wave or at least a head-nod?

Am I just too Southern for my own good?

I don't stop to shave everyone's hand while waving, but a quick hand gesture/wave is most times not returned.

Am I a weirdo?

I hope that you don't shave anyone's hands. I think that would definitely be weird.

But if someone doesn't want to nod back or wave, then oh well. It's their choice. You do what you want to do and they''ll do what they want to do.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Nah, I wave too. I guess they're just extremely "focused."

They're probably just butts.

tumblr_m8w7yjbrvq1qa9jwno1_500.gif
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I won't shave just anyone's hands. Just the sexy people.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    If someone offered me a 'shave,' I think I'd just run faster - in the opposite direction!

I'm just talking about a simple nod of the head, or a hand/wrist up...

I'm the same person that gets mad if I don't get a wave after letting someone into traffic, so maybe the problem is mine.

shavebaby19-Terrible-Presents-for-a-Child13.jpg
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Hairy knuckle crew 4 lyfe, yo.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    For some of us social interactions are stressful. If we look away or ignore you don't take it personally. It just causes stress and anxiety to interact (even a nod or a wave) with complete strangers.

this
  • olehcat
    olehcat Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I usually wave or say hi back if someone greets me while running, but mostly the whole interaction thing stresses me out and I have been known to cross the street to be on the other side, just to avoid interacting with a stranger! Yes, I do have some social anxieties! Another option is that the person might very well be totally in the zone, in their own little world. I've done that before while listening to music while walking/running. Someone from work actually saw me and was trying to wave and get my attention and I did not see it at all.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    For some of us social interactions are stressful. If we look away or ignore you don't take it personally. It just causes stress and anxiety to interact (even a nod or a wave) with complete strangers.

this

Honestly taking note of this from two truly wonderful women. I'm gregarious to say the least and I had to tone myself down for many years living outside of my home state. I almost always grumble when my "mornings" aren't acknowledged, but not enough to post about it . . .
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I also see motorcyclists wave at the risk of injury whenever they pass another fellow rider.

It's conventional in the UK to nod.
    Maybe folks are too busy concentrating on their work-out, but I tend to think folks are just becoming more anti-social, or societal norms have changed and I'm officially old-fashioned.

Cyclists generally nod, when running it does seem to depend on where. Again a nod is enough but some do seem to get all jazz hands and in need of a good slap :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

this

Honestly taking note of this from two truly wonderful women. I'm gregarious to say the least and I had to tone myself down for many years living outside of my home state. I almost always grumble when my "mornings" aren't acknowledged, but not enough to post about it . . .

I'll return a 'good morning' now and when I'm running I tend to say something to those I pass, but I used to be a lot more uncomfortable in public. I would get up and go to the grocery store at 3 a.m. just to avoid being around a lot of people.
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I also see motorcyclists wave at the risk of injury whenever they pass another fellow rider.

Not much risk of injury here...Just sayin'.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm fascinated by the percentage of people who initiate a greeting with me when I'm running alone vs. when I'm accompanied by one of my children on their bikes. I'd estimate it's ~15% alone and ~75% with kid...(and for females, it's ~5% alone and ~90% with kid). I've mentioned it to my kids before and we get a good laugh about it...and I've used it as an opportunity to discuss situational awareness and potential dangers/concerns to being alone on the trail.
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options

yup
  • thatjeffsmith
    thatjeffsmith Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

It appears that many of us runners are also not comfortable interacting with others. An interesting psych study perhaps. Correlation or just general pop...
  • Katsumii
    Options
    When I lived up north, I was taught to never make eye contact with strangers. But then I moved to the south and it's pretty much the norm here. There are a lot of transplants here, so if someone doesn't want to wave or say good morning, I don't take it personally.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    More into staring, but thatz just me.