I want to lose 40 in 4 months.See a dietitian/nutritionist?

Options
So to all of you fitness pals I was wondering how possible it is to lose aound 40 pounds in 4 months? I just got out of high school and Im heading up to collegue and Im mostly wanting to do this to live a normal healthy life and feel better.

In the last few days I have done crazy things like eating 2000 calories and burning 1000,which apparently isnt healthy at all(is it really?).But I honestly think I shouldn't get myself into a DIY kind of "diet" since Im neaither a dietitian or nutritionist and when I was leaving the gym yesterday I noticed that they had a few bussines cards in the lobby area and one of those cards had the contact informartion of a dietitian or nutritionist(cant remmebr exactly) that is recommended by the people of the gym which leads me to belive that she might be good? Im also not sure if I should get an apointment and go straight and say "hey I want to lose 40 pounds in 4 months and then take it slow after losing them in that amount of time,tell me what to eat and how much should I work out and I will do it religiously with a big smile on my face"

Oh and by the way,I would like to buy a hrm but I really dont know which one should I get,so if you know of a good one it would be extremly helpful if you could guide me a little.
Im 17 years old,male.
My height is 5.9
My weight is 230 lbs

This is my first post on a fitness realted forum and I am really sorry if it got a little long!

Replies

• lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    I would invest in scales (rather than a dietician) and weigh and log accurately, we all know what the healthy options are and we all know what we like to, or can eat. To lose weight all you need to do is follow MFP and be honest with yourself, its easier to eat smaller amounts of what you normally eat than to completely change your diet and a lot cheaper.

I am restricted to what I can eat due to health issues, and have continually lost 1.2kg weekly since starting to log on MFP, my diet the same as before just less of some things and more of healthier options like vegetables.

At 54 I am 102lbs down since 31 Jan 2013, just be accurate and honest eat less and move more.
  • keltoi93
    keltoi93 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Im in a similar situation to you. 20 year old, 3rd year in college. Started at 256lbs in july and am currently 189lbs. I didnt start hitting the gym until two months ago when I was ~220 lbs and have never seen a nutritionist/dietician. Just look at MFP, what you're eating and how much calories are in it. Eat your way into your calorie goals. Nutritionalists are great if you want the ideal healthy eating life but as a student I can tell you its not feasible to eat a perfect balance of everything every day.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    lose aound 40 pounds in 4 months?

In the last few days I have done crazy things like eating 2000 calories and burning 1000,which apparently isnt healthy

dietitian or nutritionist

Im 17 years old,male.
    My height is 5.9
    My weight is 230 lbs

1st, I think the minimum age for this site is 18... you probably had to say you were 18 when you signed up. But, since you're not a 14 year old anorexic girl, you'll probably get some serious replies, before you get kicked off the site.

I think your goal to lose 40 lbs in 4 months is a bit lofty. It might be doable... but not recommended. If I've got my facts straight, your BMR is 2260 and to lose 2.5 lbs per week, you'd have to have a deficit of 1250 calories per day. So, you're looking at 1,000 calories per day for 4 months. On top of that, as you lose weight your BMR goes down, and you'd need to eat even less. At some point, you're almost guaranteed to stall, faint, or quit. I don't think anyone here would recommend you attempt that.

So ya, eating 2,000 calories a day, and burning 1,000 isn't healthy for the long haul.... you seem to know that.

I would expect the majority of replies to your thread to be similar to this one

Just look at MFP, what you're eating and how much calories are in it. Eat your way into your calorie goals.

If you want help getting your diet more nutritionally sound, or want a professional to help steer you away from doing something stupid, like dropping your calories way too low, it may be worth a visit.

Otherwise, set a reasonable goal in MFP, and do what it says.
  • Nikishi96
    Options
    1st, I think the minimum age for this site is 18... you probably had to say you were 18 when you signed up. But, since you're not a 14 year old anorexic girl, you'll probably get some serious replies, before you get kicked off the site.

I think your goal to lose 40 lbs in 4 months is a bit lofty. It might be doable... but not recommended. If I've got my facts straight, your BMR is 2260 and to lose 2.5 lbs per week, you'd have to have a deficit of 1250 calories per day. So, you're looking at 1,000 calories per day for 4 months. On top of that, as you lose weight your BMR goes down, and you'd need to eat even less. At some point, you're almost guaranteed to stall, faint, or quit. I don't think anyone here would recommend you attempt that.

So ya, eating 2,000 calories a day, and burning 1,000 isn't healthy for the long haul.... you seem to know that.

I would expect the majority of replies to your thread to be similar to this one

Just look at MFP, what you're eating and how much calories are in it. Eat your way into your calorie goals.

If you want help getting your diet more nutritionally sound, or want a professional to help steer you away from doing something stupid, like dropping your calories way too low, it may be worth a visit.

Otherwise, set a reasonable goal in MFP, and do what it says.

Your advice seems like the most reasonable of all.The thing is that MFP tells me to eat 1600 calories a day and that by January 11 I should be 10 pounds lighter ,I know Im smart and somewhat clever but I dont have all of the world's knowledge about this kind of subjects which makes me lean towards getting the "professional" help so I dont mess things up.
    Again,Im pretty sure that this place is great(I wouldnt like to get kicked out haha) but I trutly dont know how to get or make a meal plan or something like that would allow me to get the results I want.
    I have tried to count calories and all that but then again,Im 17 and not 18,so the 1600 caloried per day thing leaves me wondering if Im doing the right things for my body or not.

I am sure you adults have more self control than me and that might be the reason you guys might not have that much of a hard time following MFPs advices as oposed to me haha.I really dont want to sound like an insecure idiot that has no self control but I trutly dont.
    Dont you guys feel like you are going or might sabotage yourself?Maybe if I get help I could learn a few things? Im not trying to be annoying or anything,It just seems like you are all are far more expereinced thatn I am
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. Why not give yourself all the advantages you can? As you said, you're young and new to dieting. Sure, you can lose the weight without help, but if you can afford it or it's covered under your health plan, why not.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    IMO your first step should be super simple. Forget calorie goals or macro goals - just start logging your food. Knowing what you are currently actually consuming is going to be 100 times more valuable than guesstimate numbers from somebody's TDEE calculator du jour.

So don't sweat it - start logging. Once you have a few weeks of diligent logging of *everything* you consume and all your exercise, plus regular weigh-ins, the questions you ask will have obvious answers.

Good luck!