cheat meal gone bad

Options
I have been doing really well with keeping inside my calorie goal and working out hard cardio an hour a day 5x a week. But last night I allowed myself a cheat meal, which I don't usually do. I figured it was about, oh, idk, maybe 800 to 1000 calories while I was eating it? I was 400 calories under my goal and had done cardio for an hour, so I had that to spare.

Well it wasn't 1,000 calories. It was 2,500 or heck possibly even more. I want to start sobbing. That one meal cost me 5 HOURS of cardio :sad:

I had 1 banana split martini, 2 soft pretzel sticks, split an order of cheese pretzel bites, and about an order of fried corn nuggets. Also had 1/2 of a miller lite, tall. Just to be safe I tacked on about another 500 calories in case I am underestimating whatever.

I feel so gross and ashamed of myself. And I should have known when I was eating it. And pissed at all that hard work gone to waste. If I bust my rear doing all that cardio, that meal was very much not yummy enough to nix those calories I sweated out. NOTHING tastes so good to eat 5 hours of cardio back. I know I can recover but I am so mad, I basically ate back almost a whole 1lb of fat in one meal. :sad:

Replies

• TheFangsKittie
    TheFangsKittie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    . I 'cheat' twice a week. I haven't gained yet. I usually shave a few cals off each day to make up for it.

Or workout some more. Seriously 1000 extra cals will barely register. If you were doing it every day then you would have a problem.

Cut yourself some slack :)
  • Katsumii
    Options
    I know it feels bad, but it's not as big of a deal as you think. Feeling shame will not help you, the best thing you can do is just move on. Next time, you'll remember that you didn't really enjoy it that much and you can make better choices.
  • foxruddellc1
    foxruddellc1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you, truely, but I am still so not happy with myself. My calorie goal to lose 1lb a week w/o exercise is 1200, so I scarffed down 2 days of calories in 2 hours :noway:
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I just overate big time yesterday today. I know how you feel. It sucks! I know that what I need to do is forgive myself, accept that it is a new day, and move on, but easier said than done! Like TheFangsKitti said just try to cut calories a bit for the next few days. Nothing extreme, you still have to fuel your body, but move on and try not to let it happen again. We all make mistakes.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Thank you, truely, but I am still so not happy with myself. My calorie goal to lose 1lb a week w/o exercise is 1200, so I scarffed down 2 days of calories in 2 hours :noway:
    As you only have around 20 pounds to lose it would be more realistic to aim for 0.5 pounds and be able to eat more. That would also be more sustainable
  • TheFangsKittie
    Options

The body doesn't have a timer. It has no idea what time or day you ate those cals. Shave a little off each day. Burn an extra 100 cals in a couple of workouts. Or if you dont want to slog it in the gym pull on your boots and go for a walk. Honestly - you will be fine. X
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    My guess it was the Fried Corn Nuggets that did it. The sour dough of the pretzels has carbs, but not a killer. Fried Creamed Corn bits cannot be good. You did it. Remember it, and move forward. The meal will not kill your progress unless you do it over and over again.
  • TheFangsKittie
    Options
    Besides which, this is a change for life. At some point again in your future you will be faced with a big meal. You need to have a process of acceptance and dealing with it. You can't beat yourself up every time this happens.

My fella was 30 last week, I went 4000 cals over for the week
    So I moved more. Ate a little lighter on the non celebratory days. And guess what? I recorded a loss of .5 lb. But if I hadnt I had already accepted this was a one off and I would enjoy it. And get right back on the horse at the next meal.

Moderation is your friend :)
  • Dragonslayer183
    Dragonslayer183 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it sounds like it all started with the martini. If you can find what started you binge, you can turn this into a learning experience and take cautious steps to prevent it. Don't worry so much, your human, so overheating every now and then is normal. Good luck!
  • foxruddellc1
    Options
    Personally, I think it sounds like it all started with the martini. If you can find what started you binge, you can turn this into a learning experience and take cautious steps to prevent it. Don't worry so much, your human, so overheating every now and then is normal. Good luck!

I had the martini after everything else while watching the OSU game. But yes, I waited to have it until afterwards because I do get the munchies if I drink. :smile:
  • foxruddellc1
    Options
    My guess it was the Fried Corn Nuggets that did it. The sour dough of the pretzels has carbs, but not a killer. Fried Creamed Corn bits cannot be good. You did it. Remember it, and move forward. The meal will not kill your progress unless you do it over and over again.

yep
  • foxruddellc1
    Options
    I just overate big time yesterday today. I know how you feel. It sucks! I know that what I need to do is forgive myself, accept that it is a new day, and move on, but easier said than done! Like TheFangsKitti said just try to cut calories a bit for the next few days. Nothing extreme, you still have to fuel your body, but move on and try not to let it happen again. We all make mistakes.

:flowerforyou:
  • foxruddellc1
    Options
    Besides which, this is a change for life. At some point again in your future you will be faced with a big meal. You need to have a process of acceptance and dealing with it. You can't beat yourself up every time this happens.

My fella was 30 last week, I went 4000 cals over for the week
    So I moved more. Ate a little lighter on the non celebratory days. And guess what? I recorded a loss of .5 lb. But if I hadnt I had already accepted this was a one off and I would enjoy it. And get right back on the horse at the next meal.

Moderation is your friend :)

agree :wink:
  • Dpurcell924
    Dpurcell924 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Its ok to be over every now and then.. You need your calories to vary it makes your body work hard because you don't always do the same thing. Also a best bet is use your my fitness pal app on your phone and before you order see what the calories are and where you will be if you eat what you are thinking about... It helps me stay in check, yet still lets me indulge a little
  • bbubb1
    bbubb1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up!!! It will happen once in a while!!!!Just get back on track and you will win!!!!! I had a very bad 5 days around Thanksgiving and put on 3 lbs. But I got myself back in gear and I've lost those pesky 3 lbs!!! Again Please Don't Beat Yourself Up. Just Get Back On Track!!! You can do it!!! And we are all here to SUPPORT you!!!!!!
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You will be ok. I have been in your shoes a lot. Today is a new day. And u never know. Sometimes a cheat meal like that kind of throws your body off in a good way. You might be surprised to see that u lost more this week. Please don't worry. It will be fine. You have to enjoy yourself once in awhile.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    Also when you eat the SAME amount of calories over and over and over again then BAM!, jump up in calories and immediately go back down to your normal calories it can knock your weight loss into action and you'll seem to drop a couple pounds. This has happened to me at least 4 times in the last 5 months. I was RELIGIOUS the whole month of October and lost nothing, then one day of going over my calories by about 500 knocked me into gear and suddenly I dropped 4 lbs in the next 2 weeks.

As you already know, the key it just to keep moving on! :flowerforyou:
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

The body doesn't have a timer. It has no idea what time or day you ate those cals. Shave a little off each day. Burn an extra 100 cals in a couple of workouts. Or if you dont want to slog it in the gym pull on your boots and go for a walk. Honestly - you will be fine. X

If you are already eating only 1200 a day then no, please don't reduce your calories for a few days to compensate. If you restrict to extremes, that often leads to overeating later. Just move on. One day of overeating may lead to feeling bloated, or a little water weight which will disappear in a day or two...but you haven't gone backwards or ruined progress or anything like that. You had ONE night that you overindulged and for goodness sakes we ALL need that every once in a while!. Did you have fun? If the answer is yes, then it was worth it (as long as you get back to it the day after). Every once in a while, we have to let ourselves have that...we have to let ourselves have a night where we don't think about it. Every once in a while.

Also, you didn't "waste" any cardio. Cardio is good for your cardiovascular system and overall health and even people who aren't trying to lose weight do it because it's just plain good for health.

Is also like to add that if you don't have much to lose (did I read 20 pounds?) you will find more success setting your loss to .5 a week. For people close to goal weight, it just comes off slower, sorry, just the way it is! and this way you will have more than 1200 to work with.
  • foxruddellc1
    Options
    Also when you eat the SAME amount of calories over and over and over again then BAM!, jump up in calories and immediately go back down to your normal calories it can knock your weight loss into action and you'll seem to drop a couple pounds. This has happened to me at least 4 times in the last 5 months. I was RELIGIOUS the whole month of October and lost nothing, then one day of going over my calories by about 500 knocked me into gear and suddenly I dropped 4 lbs in the next 2 weeks.

As you already know, the key it just to keep moving on! :flowerforyou:

I was curious if this really works... I usually eat back most of my exercise calories, taking up my calories by 400 on the days I work out. So... does this still apply to me? *fingers crossed lol*
  • foxruddellc1
    Options

If you are already eating only 1200 a day then no, please don't reduce your calories for a few days to compensate. If you restrict to extremes, that often leads to overeating later. Just move on. One day of overeating may lead to feeling bloated, or a little water weight which will disappear in a day or two...but you haven't gone backwards or ruined progress or anything like that. You had ONE night that you overindulged and for goodness sakes we ALL need that every once in a while!. Did you have fun? If the answer is yes, then it was worth it (as long as you get back to it the day after). Every once in a while, we have to let ourselves have that...we have to let ourselves have a night where we don't think about it. Every once in a while.

Also, you didn't "waste" any cardio. Cardio is good for your cardiovascular system and overall health and even people who aren't trying to lose weight do it because it's just plain good for health.

Is also like to add that if you don't have much to lose (did I read 20 pounds?) you will find more success setting your loss to .5 a week. For people close to goal weight, it just comes off slower, sorry, just the way it is! and this way you will have more than 1200 to work with.

:smile:

Yes, my goal is 20lbs, I am down 4... so 16 more to go. But I generally eat back my exercise calories, so I'm usually eating 1600 to 1800 a day.... So should I still not restrict what I ate?