Supporting MFP friends on very low calorie diets

Replies

• golfmonk
    golfmonk Posts: 119 Member
    In a totally different and probably uncommon perspective, I'm one of those people whose diary consistently shows under 1200 calories, with days I exercise showing way less net than that. I think I am the exception to the rule on this, but who knows?

I am pretty strong in my anorexia recovery (been out of treatment for 18 months without a significant relapse) but have recently been struggling with a lot of body image issues and feeling out of control with my food. Obviously I know that this is stemming from changes in my personal life that I won't discuss on MFP, but the desire to engage in "ana" behaviors has been strong lately so I decided to start logging my food again. But I also don't want to relapse and know that calorie counting has been a big trigger for me in the past, so here is what I do:

I purposely do not add all my food to my log. I have a tendency to snack on baby carrots and I don't add those in often. Things like dipping sauces or salad dressings I don't add because I know those calories are relatively negligible. And I also eat at least one 200+ calorie protein bar that I don't log. So my diary is usually about 200-350 calories short every day. This way my ED is happy seeing a low net calorie count, but my healthy mind is happy because I really am eating enough to sustain a healthy weight. I'm literally tricking my brain.

I know this isn't typical of what most people do on here, but I thought it might be an interesting idea to add. Unless you are with the person 24/7 you really don't know what they are eating or exercising so we can't judge all that accurately. Just "food" for thought

Thank you for the alternative perspective from someone that has been there, done that!

I can completely understand what you are saying and it makes good sense to log the way you do to avoid a relapse. Unfortunately, I really don't know if this is the case with my VLCD MFP friends.

Besides the low calorie entries in their food dairies, they talk negatively in their newfeeds like 3g of butter being too many calories or they will state that they will eat breakfast only and not eat for the rest of the day or something along those lines. In short, just really bizarre and destructive behavior.

I just don't know how to deal with this all.

Sighs...
  • IrishGabriella
    IrishGabriella Posts: 48 Member
    Hi,
    I personally think that you are letting yourself get too emotionally involved. Of course it's great to care about people but you seem very troubled by other people's behaviour.

I am on 900 cals or under a day. I'm on a shake diet (shock horror!!) I'm not doing any exercise at all so far.
    I've done Weight Watchers twice in the past when I didn't have as much weight to lose. I did lose weight but put it all back on again and extra.
    The reason I'm doing this VLCD now is because I want to lose a good pile of weight, & then my plan is to switch to a more sustainable long term (for life) eating plan. I've been on this diet for nearly 9 weeks and my weight loss has averaged out at approx 3 or 4lbs a week. I don't think that's excessive.

I never realised people like me were looked down on, pitied and thought in need of help on this site. It makes me very sad to be honest.
    My doctor is fully aware of VLCD & supports me. I go to him regularly for check ups.
  • kawaiifurby
    kawaiifurby Posts: 10 Member
    As someone who often logs very little calorie days, I think nagging them or interrogating them would probably do more harm than good. I think positive encouragement on healthier days would be more beneficial, or just a friendly message of concern.
    Personally I have very unhealthy eating habits and I am aware of this but I can't really help how I feel, so nagging me will just make me feel worse. I've been like this for years before joining MFP.

And you can change the calorie goal to under 1200 on the iOS app
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    I have rules for this sort of thing. If you don't eat to support your level of activity, you're not ending up on my FL, full stop.

If you have a closed diary, or you close your diary all of a sudden, I'll delete you. I do check occasionally what people are up to on my FL and if I find they've closed their diaries I'm cutting them loose. Sounds mercenary, but.....

FYI, logging 1 cal burns when you are eating your TDEE (or TDEE - X%) is fine (a lot of regular trainee's do this - me included) , but when you're eating 1000 cals and logging lots of exercise as 1 cal - something is going (has gone) wrong.

OP, since you already have these people and they are not listening to you when you tell them that their approach is unhealthy, you're better off cutting them loose IMHO. There's very little you can do for them if they won't listen and you're clearly uncomfortable (and rightly so) shouting "wtg!" when they are under their calorie goal.
  • Llorry
    Llorry Posts: 46 Member
    I am about as small as you get..I am 4'9 and 117 pounds..MFP puts my calories at 1200 before exercise so yes that is the minimum here..it is also what slimfast puts people on.
    BMI on the other hand puts people on less sometimes..my BMI is 968 (extreme burn) to 1248 (Burn) and 1500 to maintain. I still can not see their BMI being lower than the above numbers.
    I also know some people are doing that 5:2 (numbers correct?) Where they eat normally for several days and then fast for several days to detoxify the body. I do not buy in to that either.
    Anyhow. I do not buy in to mandatory numbers..I believe someone doing 1000 calories and it being healthy good is better than someone doing 1500 on junkfood but I agree with you that some people are extreme and under 1000 is crazy though I never counted my exercise in my calories or the day and tend to strive for 1100 or so ...I guess I should rethink that one and start counting my exercise in my numbers. LOL I could drink juice or something..I am just a rabbit and love salads etc so have a hard to meeting goals.
    As far as the people..I tend to nicely suggest that is a bad idea and see how they take it
  • GoldwingGrandma
    GoldwingGrandma Posts: 81 Member
    I have an issue with "correct" exercise calories in general. I use Map My Fitness, which gives me one calorie burn for my bicycle rides; then if I track it on MFP I get another calorie burned number and finally Fitbit puts it's 2 cents in with ANOTHER (different) calorie burn number! I don't know which to pay attention to. Do I really think I burned 1500 calories in one day? No! But I am not sure where I am suppose to go for an accurate burn. My theory has become to ignore the calorie burn number, focus on my intake (hopefully near 1200 per day) and know that I am doing some movement everyday; and measure my results once a week. I'm still new to the support community and actually listen to input given INCLUDING any criticism. We are all adults here. We need each others wisdom and experience.
  • As a recovered/reformed anorexic, I guess I have a weird perspective on it. ED makes you feel so isolated, alone, and disgusted with yourself. I couldn't bear to pass judgement on someone who already loathes themselves so much. I don't congratulate them for staying under a 800 calorie budget, but I don't condemn them either. They already hate themselves, so I don't feel the need to pile on. If I see them doing something healthy, I encourage them. I understand why most people don't want to associate with them, but at this point in my life, it doesn't trigger me.
  • Llorry
    Llorry Posts: 46 Member
    And even though MFP has an a 1200 min it does have a BMR calculator that gives me a lessor result
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    I've had different people on my friends list that did the same. They added me, and I didn't know anything about their eating habits, but when I discovered what they were doing I removed them. Because it's triggering, and I also don't understand what are you doing on here if you want to starve yourself.
    This is clearly a website that helps and supports people to lose weight the healthy way, it's even written on the first page when you register your own account. To me, people who actually know they don't want to eat enough and still come here to log it in and show it off are just trying to get some kind of attention or reward for how smart they've been to starve themselves.
    I have full understanding for people with eating disorders since I've had issues myself, but I didn't come here to log my binges, so I don't see why they should when they starve. The first step to getting better is accepting that you've got a problem, and then you can get all the help in the world, in my opinion.
    Most of those people, though, are not people with an history in eating disorders. They're mostly young girls already starting from a low weight, who want to lose weight in a short time, and use models or famous people as inspiration. I've seen this happening several times, so I know it's true. There are people who are actually questioning if they should or not eat an apple on here, and I think it's not okay. If you had an eating disorder you would already know you want to eat that apple, but don't want to, so there's no need to ask if you should or not.

I once used to reassure those people, to make them understant that they didn't need it, that they were worth eating, but in the end they never really cared. Most of them kept being stubborn and didn't even think about saying thank you, no matter what you told them.
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    I just looked at my stats, and I more often than not come in at under 1000 calories a day....net
    Couple or reasons for this.
    1) I don't eat dairy, so no cheese, cream, milk to give quick calorie bulk
    2) I run 4 mornings a week, and do cardio 2 (I don't believe most of the calorie burn numbers I'm getting, but as I'm not eating them back not overly concerned)
    3)I don't drive,I walk everywhere.
    4) I can't snack...it drives me to overeat..... peanut butter and cereal are my weakness.

However,I am fit, healthy, not underweight, have lots of energy and feel much better than I have for years..

I also take one day off where I don't log anything, and have been known to eat big bag of cops all to myself on those days. :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    First, as had been said, 1 calorie burns are part of TDEE method. 1850 is my TDEE including exercise (That's with working out 5 days per week-- I'm very small :grumble: ) so I don't add exercise calories on top of that.

As for the OP, if you've got people on your list who really have eating disorders it can be heartbreaking trying to help them. I used to try but eventually it just got to be too much. The last one I had on my list deleted me a few months ago for trying to encourage her to see a counselor. She'd been here as long as me (almost 3 years) and had lost and regained the same 40 lbs 3 times through starving and binging.

If you can handle it you can try to help but many people, myself included, find that it's just too emotionally draining.
  • GoldwingGrandma
    My other 2 cents: I think when we review a friends food diary we need to not just look at the numbers, but also look at the food choices. Did they eat 3 or more balanced meals? Did they consume fruits and vegetables? A person can easily reach a great caloric intake number with sugary foods and the numbers look good on their diary, while another person may struggle to reach 1000 calories or more per day if they are focusing in fruits and vegetables and watching their carb intake (Diabetics come to mind). It's more than a numbers game.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    My other 2 cents: I think when we review a friends food diary we need to not just look at the numbers, but also look at the food choices. Did they eat 3 or more balanced meals? Did they consume fruits and vegetables? A person can easily reach a great caloric intake number with sugary foods and the numbers look good on their diary, while another person may struggle to reach 1000 calories or more per day if they are focusing in fruits and vegetables and watching their carb intake (Diabetics come to mind). It's more than a numbers game.

I disagree-- a person ought to be able to reach their calorie goal easily by making sure they're getting enough fat and protein. When people can't reach 1000 calories it's usually because they're being too restrictive or because they aren't weighing their food and they're eating more than they think.

Also meal timing is pretty much irrelevant and sugar is not the enemy (unless you've got a health issue like diabetes).
  • drgerhart
    drgerhart Posts: 1 Member
    There is no one size fits all approach to weight loss and i would not make assumptions about another persons calorie totals without looking at the whole picture You need to consider nutrition, age, the individuals metabolic status, the rate at which they are losing and remember that many of the exercise calories in mfp are way too high, at least for me. As a 60 something who is metabolically challenged, 1200 calories and moderate daily exercise leads to a weight loss of about half lb per week if I am lucky. For years I was told I was not eating enough when I ate less than 1500 calories and that this was impeding my weight loss. So I complied and never lost weight. I am not supporting eating disordered behavior. This will be evident by excessive exercise, restrictive food choices (very few types of food eaten) rapid weight loss, etc.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member

on the other hand, healthy = balanced. Eating so much fruit that you struggle to get enough calories, fat or protein isn't healthy either. To give extreme examples, eating nothing but fruit/veg is as unhealthy as eating no fruit/veg at all. One gives you kwashiorkor, the other gives you scurvy. So if someone's struggling to eat enough calories (i.e. way too little like only 1000/day) due to trying to eat a lot of fruit and veg, maybe they need to either eat a bit less fruit and veg so they can fit in some more foods containing protein, essential fatty acids, fat soluble vitamins and calories. They're unlikely to be at risk of kwashiorkor (that's more a risk for extreme fruitarians), but insufficient calories and protein can lead to loss of lean body mass, including reduced bone density which increases the risk of osteoporosis.

Unfortunately there's a lot of dichotomous thinking out there and this can in some cases lead to people swinging from one unhealthy extreme to the other, while what people should be doing is trying to get a balanced diet whereby they get all the nutrients the body needs.
  • TheBoldCat
    TheBoldCat Posts: 159 Member
    I'd ask that person what is the reason behind.. .I was 3 weeks on a liquid diet (not even a soup was allowed) and no exercises (except walking) but i explained to my MFPs that it's due to dental surgery (got plenty of supplements from the hospital to reach nutritions level)....and i got amazing support now and then from here...
  • jclist1
    jclist1 Posts: 87 Member
    I question them on it. Because occassionally there's a good reason (gastric bypass would fall into that category).

If there's no good reason, and they aren't open to seeing some logic, I remove them from my friends list, because I'm not going to support someone who is pro-ana

This. I think the majority of us on here are here to have a healthy lifestyle, and if there is no medical reason for them to be netting such a low calorie amount, I tend to remove them as friends. I just can't support someone who is doing more damage than good.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Sometimes my net calories are low, that is my decision. I don't owe anyone an explanation as to why my net calories are low, if you don't like it then move on. This is the internet not an OA meeting, I am a grown woman not a teenager posing as an adult.
  • GoldwingGrandma

I disagree-- a person ought to be able to reach their calorie goal easily by making sure they're getting enough fat and protein. When people can't reach 1000 calories it's usually because they're being too restrictive or because they aren't weighing their food and they're eating more than they think.

Also meal timing is pretty much irrelevant and sugar is not the enemy (unless you've got a health issue like diabetes).

I'm not sure how to continue this thread so here is my attempt. Sorry if it's the wrong way. I will see how this works.

Sugar per say may not be an enemy to many people, but you are very accurate in your acknowledgement of Diabetics. Also I tend to believe that sugar provides empty, quick high energy and quick energy dropping characteristics. Granted we cannot, and probably should not, totally avoid any sugar. It needs to be worked into our plans in moderation. I also agree with filling in with protein and healthy fat. I was not proposing a strict fruit and vegetable diet. Carbs are my primary enemy (focus point) because of the rise in blood sugar that they produce. However I recognize the need for carbs for energy, and the need to exercise to help keep the added blood sugar rise at bay.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    I have this dilemma and I am curious on how the general MFP population would deal with this issue (of course, this is assuming that one would be using their MFP friends list for motitivation and support).

I have noticed this trend that a decent amount of my MFP friends are eating nowhere the amount of calories they should be like logging an insane amount of exercise calories and netting something like 400 calories for the day. There was even one friend that had a daily calorie goal of 600 calories. I mean, is this *even* possible to do when setting up a MFP account? I always assumed that there was a 1200 daily calorie cap on MFP but I guess not since I peaked at her diary and saw this with my very own eyes.

I suppose the purpose of MFP friends list is to be able to support and motivate one another, but I have a problem of supporting people that are either a) not exercising and logging under 1000 calories or b) eating over 1200 calories, but netting well under 1000. I just can't bring myself to support such behavior and was wondering what other people have done (or would do) under these circumstances. Do you ignore it? Remove them from your friends list? Preach to them that what they are doing is not a viable long term solution?

Anyways, I will look forward to any comments that will come my way (good or bad) and good luck to all on their weight loss journey and may you get to your desired goal!

P.S. I am not referring to anyone that is occasionally doing this (like if they are sick and/or not hungry that day). I am talking about friends that are doing this consistently everyday.

About 6-8 months ago I HAD to delete a girl on my friends list. She was already at a healthy weight, but had a specific scale number in mind. She would graze all day, but still only eat 800-1000 calories. One day she "binged" and ate 1200 calories...and then didn't eat ANY solid food for days. She survived on low or zero calorie drinks such as seltzer and diet pop. All her statuses were about how her stomach was growling and hurt, and she was light headed, but it would all be worth it when she saw that number on the scale.

all during this time, I was following MFP suggestions, exercising 5-8 hours a week...and losing NOTHING. I felt like it was detrimental to MY health to keep seeing her exhibit such behaviors.

If I know a friend has had weight loss surgery, etc, and is under a doctor's care, I don't worry so much about low intake. They are less likely to be doing things like voluntarily fasting and yet whining about how they are starving.