Time to get serious

Options
I started MFP a little while back but wasn't really taking it seriously. Now I'm taking it seriously. I just started back up a few days ago and have been within my calories so that is a start. I still have a long way to go on the weight lost. But I'm determined to get it off.

I was in a work accident in August of 2012 that messed up my back and knee and exercise is still very difficult to do. I did manage to find a low impact cardio work out that looks like I might be able to do it. It's only 30 minutes long but I think if I'm careful I can manage. I have it planned right now to do the cardio workout one day and strengthening workout the next. I have physical therapy exercises that are strengthening so that should work for toning up as I lose. The pt exercises are everything from what they call swimmers to planks.

I have noticed that my sodium is still really high. I don't add salt to anything I cook so the sodium is naturally in in the foods I eat from what I can tell. Any suggestions on how to lower the sodium intake would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• amynicole83
    amynicole83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying about not taking this serious. I don't want to say that it is not serious to me as it is very serious for my health. My mom has diabetes and it is very serious. I want do better for myself and for my mom. I want to make her proud of me and let her know that I will not follow in her footprints. She followed her dad's only worse. Most of her eating was caused on emotion. I know that mine is boredom and cravings. My mom has both legs amputated, she rarely has feelings in her fingers and her vision is not great.

When we were kids she would try to make the right choices and try to teach my sister and I the healthy choices however when she had an emotion to deal with we would get candy or ice cream.

A big part of 'love' in my family is food; and really what family isn't it considered 'love'?

It is now up to me to change my food choices and in long run my life. I struggle with this often and I hope to be a runner! I wish we could do it just was easily as we say it.

I wish you best of luck with your weight loss goals and I did ask to friend you and I would love to be supportive to you.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-salt-shockers

Check out the above link. Lowering sodium intake is simple but it does involve changing your intake.
    In some cases, sodium intake is overstated, that is, the relevance of it to health depends on the physiological attributes of each person. However, if you would like to lower your sodium intake for your own reasons, it is pretty straightforward how to do it. Good luck in your journey.
  • My biggest reason for wanting to lower the sodium intake is water retention. I have a really hard time with that and retain water a lot. Which I know attributes to my weight and the fluctuation in gain and loss.