Does it really matter what I eat, carbs, fats etc?

Options
What I mean by this is do I really need to be cutting carbs, fat etc or can I just plod along as long as I'm in a calorie deficit?
I am 30 year old male, 6ft 2 inches and currently weigh 220 lbs (I was 260lbs).
You see the thing is that when I first started the diet and exercise I simply just wanted to lose some pounds and reduce my body fat, however now I have seen some really good results I want to continue and try and lower my body fat as much as possible whilst still in a healthy range.
I do eat quite a lot of carbs including porridge for brekkie and a sandwich of some kind for lunch but rarely eat carbs at dinner time.
So if I want to continue to lower my body fat (and weight) can i just continue as I am.
My daily calorie intake does vary a lot as some days I will consume around 1700 calories and other days I will probably go quite a bit over 2500 calories, and this doesn't take my exercise into account.
By the way I exercise 4-5 times a week consisting of 60 minutes quite vigorous cycling followed by 10 mins HIIT jump rope.

Any advice welcome.
Thanks

Replies

• fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Simply said, calorie deficit is all that matters. There is a guy who lost a lot of weight on a Twinkie diet: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/
    Health wise, I would try to eat a bit of everything, make sure you get your nutrients in.
    Some people go low carb/high protein, but you have to try for yourself if that works.
    I need my carbs, or I don't have energy for workouts, so I tend to be around 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25% fat.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I prefer TDEE method: http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
    Figure out what your BMR and TDEE is, and put your calorie goal somewhere in the middle, 200-500 under TDEE is usually ood for most people.
    My personal focus is getting 100 grams of protein a day at least, but that is because I am also weightlifting.
  • KellyKelzs
    KellyKelzs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For long term weight management it does matter what you choose to eat. See the 20 yr study below.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/diet-and-weight/
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, calorie deficit is what matters. For body composition (the ratio of fat to muscle) you want to watch your macros.

That said I'm not low-carb at all. But I do focus on protein and fat first. If you're doing intense exercise and especially if you're lifting you need a lot more protein than MFP tells you. Aim for .8 grams per pound of body weight. For fats aim for at least .35 grams per pound of body weight.

Carbs are good if you're doing a lot of cardio-- they'll supply the energy that you need for performance. But do make sure you're getting enough protein too. And as an added bonus, it takes slightly more calories to digest protein than it does carbs.

Follow the link that Ophidion posted-- lots of good info there.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    For long term weight management it does matter what you choose to eat. See the 20 yr study below.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/diet-and-weight/

I read this article and it really doesn't say what you matters for weight control it said...

"Some foods and eating patterns may make it easier to keep calories in check, while others may make people more likely to overeat. Learn what nutrients, foods, and diet patterns are most promising for weight control and disease prevention."

This was more about how weight gain over time can lead to chronic illness
    "Conventional wisdom says that since a calorie is a calorie, regardless of its source, the best advice for weight control is simply to eat less and exercise more. Yet emerging research suggests that some foods and eating patterns may make it easier to keep calories in check, while others may make people more likely to overeat.

Of course eating a healthy diet makes it easier to keep calories in check but that doesn't mean you can't eat KFC etc...
    There’s ample research on foods and diet patterns that protect against heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and other chronic conditions. The good news is that many of the foods that help prevent disease also seem to help with weight control—foods like whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and nuts. And many of the foods that increase disease risk—chief among them, refined grains and sugary drinks—are also factors in weight gain.

This article briefly reviews the research on dietary intake and weight control, highlighting diet strategies that also help prevent chronic disease."

The bolded area highlights the purpose of this study...yes refined grains and sugary drinks are factors in weight gain if you over consume.
  • kaittea
    kaittea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    BUMP. I'm totally in this same predicament. I've been eating a lot more fruits/veggies lately so I'm struggling to meet my protein and I'm almost always over my fat. I workout 6 days a week, 40-80 min of cardio and like 15 mins of strength training. Sometimes I just get so confused with the differing information there is on the web. Do I strictly follow my macros and eat ALL THE PROTEIN to make sure my muscles are big and strong or can I just follow a simple fruits, veggies and minimal processed foods diet? I'm looking to lose around 20lbs.