Gastric bypass recipes!

Options
My mother just had gastric bypass surgery a couple of months ago, and she's going crazy (and driving us crazy) with trying to figure out what to eat. She's limited to 300-600 calories/day, needs 60-80 protein, and each serving of food she eats needs to have no more than 5g of fat or sugar. If anyone else is living this lifestyle, I'd love to know some recipes you swear by to get you through the tough spots! I really wanna help her out.

Replies

• iLOVEbabySARA13
    Options
    Bump
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Doesn't she have the support of a nutritionist?
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hi Sara....My daughter had this done, about 2 years ago.....At first, she ate mostly liguids...Did she not get any help from the hospital, in regard to diet....It is strange, if they cast her ashore with no help at all....My daughter now eats, regular food, but only enough to cover a bread and butter plate....I know your mom's food maybe difficult, try the Mayo Clinic.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    my sister in law had that surgery. they told her what to eat. she followed their instructions. i might call back the dr.'s office if i were you. something may have slipped through the cracks. :flowerforyou:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    What about low calorie sources of protein egg whites, canned tuna, beef jerky, roast beef slices, turkey breast slices, low fat cheese, occasional egg, protein powder mixed with water or unsweetened nut milk, chicken breast, and a small amount of 1/4c cooked beans (although I don't know if that's too many carbohydrates for that diet or not). Sounds very difficult hope for the best for her.
  • iLOVEbabySARA13
    Options
    She doesn't have a nutritionist. Just had a follow up 10 days post surgery and not again until 3 or 4 months post surgery. She has a binder of all the info she needs. I already stated her limitations. I wasn't sure if anybody on here went through the same thing and had some recipes they swore by. She's on no limitation other than reaching her calorie/protein goals and staying under the specific grams of fat and sugar/serving as stated prior.
  • iLOVEbabySARA13
    Options
    Basically, she really likes to cook, and she loves big flavors. Eating plain ol' egg whites, beans, chicken kinda gets redundant.
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My sister had it done several years ago. She got a couple of cookbooks like this one: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/gastric-bypass-recipe-collection-lori-shiltz/1105735449. There are also recipes specifically for gastric bypass on sites such as sparkpeople. Google it. A lot of stuff comes up. The good cookbooks are divided by what stage you're in to make it easier. Good luck to her - and to you!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Basically, she really likes to cook, and she loves big flavors. Eating plain ol' egg whites, beans, chicken kinda gets redundant.

More herbs and spices? Vinegars, lemon or lime juice, hot pepper, soy sauce, fat free/low sugar dressings? If she's not salt restricted then packets of dry seasonings like Italian, chili, or taco? Mustard too and worsteshire, but check on the sugar since there may be added.
  • iLOVEbabySARA13
    Options
    I'm surprised that she is only able to eat 300-600 calories. I just had gastric bypass about a month ago and now that I have progressed to "soft foods", my nutritionist said to keep it under about 1200. I am still progressing with my food, I was just able to add on whole wheat bread & crackers, canned chicken & tuna, etc...
    t will be very hard for your mom to get that much protein on so few calories, unless she's drinking a lot of protein shakes. I've been buying Unjury protein shakes, they've been the least offensive ones so far and they're not too expensive.
    I don't understand why her calories were set so low, so it's really hard to give out any advice. I would suggest a phone call to the doctor for explanation, because she should have progressed on to more foods by now. Sorry I couldn't be more help - I hope she gets some answers!

LUCKY! She can up to 800 calories in a month...but can have 1200 until her one year anniversary! Are you able to eat back any exercise calories? I know that she can burn 300 calories walking, but still can't eat more. Its ridiculous! Its the standard plan for everybody who does the surgery around here. Ten years ago my dad got it done, too and he was restricted to liquids through a feeding tube as per standard procedure back then.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    It does get old quickly to eat plainly and simply, but for long term success it is imperative!! The people I know (over 30) who have had bariatric surgery and were successful, followed the dietary restrictions to a t!! Liquids only for the prescribed number of days, then measured their portions carefully. Many of my friends have enjoyed southwest egg beaters vs plain egg whites. Also, chicken cooked in chicken broth with seasonings of your Mom's choice, make it taste so much more palatable!!!

The more successful your Mom is today, the more successful she will be health as well as weight wise, for the rest of her life!! I am so happy she has you to help her!!!
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Having gastric bypass surgery isn't fun. You said she enjoys cooking…. well honestly she's probably not going to be doing much cooking for a while. That's the downside of the surgery. Food options are very limited. She isn't going to be eating elaborate, flavorful foods. She's going to be eating simple foods for the time being. That's all part of the surgery.

Here are some ideas:

-Unsweetened applesauce
    -Diced peaches or pears
    -Banana
    -Baked fish (salmon, cod, etc.)
    -Greek yogurt
    -Cottage cheese (low fat) with diced peaches
    -Sugar free pudding
    -Mashed potatoes
    -Sweet potatoes
    -Mashed cauliflower
    -Chili with beans and 2 or 3 whole grain crackers
    -Tuna
    -Oatmeal
    -Hummus on pita bread
  • robin8928
    Options
    I am 3 months out from surgery and find that it is really a mindset, a friend who is about the same time frame out from surgery has done nothing but complain - she's not having any problems but just complains that she wants something different to eat. I have embraced the chance to have a tool to help me and I don't look at it as torture.

With one or two protein shakes a day, cottage cheese, fish and eggs, it is pretty easy to get to at least 60 grams of protein.
  • OwOwBrickHouse
    OwOwBrickHouse Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No beef jerky yet. Meats need to be moist and smooth until about 6 months out. I am less than two weeks out and I can eat chicken breast moistened with a little canned gravy or lite mayo, lowfat corned beef hash, greek yogurt (plain - no chunks, no sugar), Quest bars, 1% milk... these are all good protein options. But definitely get on board with a dietician.
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    This blog has a ton of recipes. http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

You might also look up Atkins recipes or anything catered to high protein/low carb. :) Good luck! When in doubt, consult your binder and talk to your doctor. He/she probably has a nutritionist that your mom can consult, so do not hesitate!!!