Has anyone lost weight with Hypothyroidism?

Options
I was wondering if anyone on here has hypothyroidism and is it hard for them to lose? Thanks!

Replies

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and when my meds aren't correct, yes, I find it difficult to lose. But I've spent this past year making sure that the dosage was correct and now I'm seeing the results I should be seeing (i.e. when I set MFP to lose .5lbs a week, I lose about that).
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've had it for 5yrs & have had no issues losing weight. I always get my levels checked regularly & since I started losing weight in Feb my dr had me check them every 3mths. I've been stable all year, first time in about 2yrs. Infact the more weight I have lost the better my #s have been & I feel great! I was concerned too though bc I know it can really mess with it & this is hard enough, we don't need anything else to add to it. Just keep on top of your levels, have them checked at least every 3mths, if your dr says you don't need it that frequently INSIST on it.
  • Newbeginnings46
    Newbeginnings46 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hiya I have hypothyroidism and have managed to lose 3 and half stone. It has taken quite a bit of time to lose it though.
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid removed last year so I am on medication now for life. I found in the past year that when my meds weren't at the right dosage, it was hard/impossible to lose weight. However, when they are at the right dosage, I lose weight as easily as any normal person does. I personally found that adding cytomel (T3) to my medication was the thing I needed for my medication to work for me. On synthroid only I couldn't get my levels right, but with cytomel I feel like a normal human being and weight loss is a simple process.
  • funsmile1234
    funsmile1234 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I take thyroid meds and have been on them for about 10 years and have been able to lose almost 150 pounds in about 2 years time. It's possible.
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277
    Options
    I had my thyroid removed last year so I am on medication now for life. I found in the past year that when my meds weren't at the right dosage, it was hard/impossible to lose weight. However, when they are at the right dosage, I lose weight as easily as any normal person does. I personally found that adding cytomel (T3) to my medication was the thing I needed for my medication to work for me. On synthroid only I couldn't get my levels right, but with cytomel I feel like a normal human being and weight loss is a simple process.

^^^This^^^ I found by switching from Synthroid to Armour Thyroid helped me too. I lost close to 60lbs. So, yes, it is possible. Good luck! :smile:
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm really struggling with it but my medication levels are not stable and have never been so since diagnosis 5 years ago, however I've had three children in 5 years so this has played a big role.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am hypo. I have had it for about 7 years. It is harder for me to lose. It comes off slower than it used to. I am going in the right direction though so it is very possible :)
  • pinkpumpedupkickz
    pinkpumpedupkickz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm hypo also (recently diagnosed), this is such good news!! <3 Can you all share what your caloric intake looks like? I feel like I'm starving/craving crap alllll the time. Still adjusting dosage on levothyroxine though.. maybe that's part of it??
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and I'm taking 88 mcg of Levothyroxine and that's doing the trick. Not having any trouble at all losing now. I also have PCOS too so that is a double whammy against me as far as weight loss is concerned but the thyroid meds have REALLY helped.
  • Livin4me1969
    Livin4me1969 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I am also hypo and I am not having any issues losing at this time. The correct dosage of medication defnately helps. I was diagnosed 17 years ago. It can be done!
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    lost really well with exercise in 2 months :)
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Complete removal of my thyroid back in 2006 (papillary carcinoma). I thought that was one of the reasons why I was heavy. I've been fairly lucky in that that my levels have been steady the last 3 yrs or so. I'm down nearly 40 lbs since I started this journey back in August. Losing weight is definately doable.
  • alwayspleasant
    alwayspleasant Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with losing but I attribute that to my inconsistencies in diet, dosage etc. Been on some form of Synthroid for about 14 years. My levels are always out of wack (100 - 175mcg) so it's tough to always be on the correct dosage.Still possible to lose weight but it's much more difficult and takes longer. :-(
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I am hypo and it is a struggle. My Dr. will not consider Armour and I know that my TSH is at the high end of the range right now so I am trying to maintain till I can get this levelled off again. Good luck. Some people just drop it off for others of us it is a struggle. I picked up over one hundred pounds before I was diagnosed.
  • rissysmom14
    rissysmom14 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was also switched to Armour Thyroid and Cytomel. I have found with thyroid disease there is alot of misunderstanding and miseductaion on the part of the medical community! You MUST be your own advocate!! Educate yourself, and share with your practitioner!!
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and when my meds aren't correct, yes, I find it difficult to lose. But I've spent this past year making sure that the dosage was correct and now I'm seeing the results I should be seeing (i.e. when I set MFP to lose .5lbs a week, I lose about that).

This ... I'm maintaining (on the site for that and fitness goals) ... Please educate yourself about your condition; I suggest you start with sources such as About.com' Thyroid Pages (Mary Shomon: Thyroid Patient Advocate) and StopTheTyroidMadness.com. Though, the latter pushes NDT a bit too much, synthetic T3/T4 combos can work just as well, if not better in some people (myself, for one) ...

Thyroid issues are MUCH more than just weight, they effect EVERYTHING; since thyroid hormone controls your metabolism, which is ALL of your body's functions, not just weight ...
  • KBomar2
    KBomar2 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed almost two years ago and my levels have been great but I haven't been able to lose any weight. I work out consistently with both cardio and weight lifting and watch what I eat but for 2 years my weight has been exactly the same. A friend suggested going gluten free because hypothyroidism and gluten intolerence go hand in hand. I just started last week and for the first time in 2 years I'm down almost 4 pounds. I'm hoping this is the key for me, I'm so tired of working my butt off and not seeing any results.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and lost weight so "well" that now I am severely underweight and now I find it hard to gain. I honestly don't think its the hypothyroidism that makes it hard to lose, but your own metabolism or something else.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and successfully lost even before I was on meds. If you're on the correct medication, you should be able to do it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!