Accurate Food Database?

Options
Can anyone recommend an accurate/consistent online food database?

I want to start creating some “My Foods” records and I’m getting a bit confused with so many inconsistent listings on MFP…

Thanks in advance

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• moefinch
    moefinch Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I try to scan everything that I can. That way, I know that it's the correct item and I'm not just choosing a random entry on the list.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options

^^^

Also, on MFP, foods that *don't* have a star in front of them are taken from that database and are accurate.
  • LeahMaria26
    LeahMaria26 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Perfect. Thanks very much!
  • patols1
    patols1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    what do you mean that you scan the food. I know you mean the barcode. but what are you scanning with?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    what do you mean that you scan the food. I know you mean the barcode. but what are you scanning with?

Mobile app
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    I found that www.food.com is not too bad. Some things are waay off but not many and you can check the detailed values if you think it's off.

Just sign up and go to your name in the right hand top corner and a menu will pop up, go down to Submit Recipe and there you go. PS: If you want to see the value immediately, Save your recipe as a personal recipe, not a public one because they have to approve public ones and it takes a few days.
  • patols1
    patols1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Mobile app

ohh ok ty. I don't own a cell phone :frown: so I guess it wont help me.
  • fulleroaks
    Options
    Calorieking.com
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I just check the package or the website against what I'm having and scroll and check (you can click on the tiny 'nutritional info' to the side when going through database instead of adding it first) and add the correct one. And like another poster, the ones without astericks are correct.
  • udinth
    udinth Posts: 92
    Options
    Generally those are accurate, but today I had to correct one entry here. When I added some honey to a hot drink and scanned the barcode, I noticed that MFP reported it as 17g carbohydrates and 0g of sugars, which is very peculiar, if not impossible. That matched the label, though; so I checked out the USDA site, which confirmed my suspicion.

But some of the other MFP numbers didn't match up either. I found it pretty tricky to read the USDA and USFDA tables. Furthermore, they report vitamins A and C, and calcium and iron, in terms of milli- or micrograms, while MFP uses percentages of recommended amounts for a 2000-cal diet. So I set up a little spreadsheet and checked them over a few times. For one thing, MFP said 100g of USDA honey provides 6% of the Reference Daily Intake

Then I edited "Usda - Honey" (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/update_nutrition_facts/101142716?date=2013-12-08&show_controls=true), with the comment:

Dec.8,2013; correct vit.C, calcium, & iron from USDA (http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/6170?qlookup=honey) and USFDA (http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scales/dailyvalues.htm)
  • CAVEHERMITT
    Options
    click on the bar code icon and it becomes a scanner, this is how the app gets all its information. this is an eseir way then entering it all by hand.:huh:
  • stukawife
    stukawife Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Read the package or go to the brands website.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You found an inaccurate entry on MFP?

Did you check the other 3 dozen entries of that same food? (sarcasm)

I really dislike how bloated the database is.
  • kayleedylmom
    Options
    wow, i learned something new so you can scan the food with the mobile app, I must do this because many of the foods in the database or kinda off. Thanks for the info.