Please share your number one strategy for maintaining

Options
Hi Everyone!

I am within 4.5 pounds of my weight loss goal. I am proud of myself for eating a wide variety of foods in moderation, logging daily, moving my body more, and keeping an open, positive mind about this journey.

I have the losing weight part down, but I am no expert at maintaining. So, I am curious what your #1 strategy for maintenance has been. I know is will vary from person to person, but I would love to gather lots of great ideas and then try them out to see what works for me. Thank you for sharing!

Teresa

Replies

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I hve lost 120lbs, although not quite finished, I have been not actively losing for a bit. I think exercise is very important and consistency, do not let a treat turn into a day of bad eating. It is a slippery slope in my opinion.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I do better when I drink plenty of water throughout the day.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Logging. Everything. Accurately.

And choosing food you like eating.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I struggle at maintaining, it was so much easier when I was actively losing, now its creeping back on slowly-hope we get some good advice!
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I was hesitant to go on maintenance, but I continued to lose on maintenance, and had to increase my calories, so I wouldn't lose too much. Logging accurately & honestly is most important. That, and maintaining a consistent workout schedule. I've had no problems whatsoever maintaining, and I even take a break with logging on Sundays & all holidays (and I'm sure I over eat on those days). It's not as scary as it seems....you can do it!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday and trim my eating and increase my exercise anytime my weight is more than 3 pounds above my target. This doesn't happen very often but when it does it usually only takes a few days to bring it back into range.

It's much easier to lose 2 pounds than 20.
  • faizul4n6
    faizul4n6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    manage my calorie intake every day..make sure do not exceed my limit...do not eat before sleep...find my suitable eating regime...
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    #1. Don't be afraid of ups and downs. Tweak plan as necessary.
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I haven't reached my goal weight but I have maintained a significant loss for several years. I eat many of the same meals (repetitive breakfast or lunches) so I know how many calories I'm consuming without thinking too hard, and I weigh myself regularly.
  • 25point4
    Options
    No *kitten*/ thread
    Dem gainz.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    My # 1 strategy was to shift my focus from weight loss/diet to fitness. I had already been exercising throughout my weight loss journey, but I decided to venture into the world of strength training in order to really challenge myself and to hopefully get better definition. It was a good way to channel all of that determination and charge-ahead energy that I used to lose the weight into something equally constructive and healthy.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    My # 1 strategy was to shift my focus from weight loss/diet to fitness. I had already been exercising throughout my weight loss journey, but I decided to venture into the world of strength training in order to really challenge myself and to hopefully get better definition. It was a good way to channel all of that determination and charge-ahead energy that I used to lose the weight into something equally constructive and healthy.

Great and strong! Super awesome!
  • yanglovesmj
    yanglovesmj Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My ultimate strategy is to eat like how i did when i was losing weight. Cos now i make it into a lifestyle, im not dieting, its a lifelong change and that is vital in steering me away from junk foods and all those crap. anyway, now that i've felt healthier i dont want to go back to my old ways anymore. but i still do take abit of junk food every once in a while so that keeps me from feeling too deprived of it when the occasional cravings kick in. Exercising is important as well. But we all know most of it lies in our diet, so eat well and you will maintain. In my case, i avoid carbs during dinner but eat a sensible portion of it starting of the day. if i know i'll be burning more cals throughout the day, i'll allow more carbs. if im lazing around, i'll eat alot lesser of it. i make sure i'll hit my body's needed protein intake too. been working well for me
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of eating less Mon-Fri and splurging on the weekend. Just focus on your weekly calorie intake
  • beckyzalldat
    beckyzalldat Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    #MOTIVATION #WILLPOWER :)))
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of eating less Mon-Fri and splurging on the weekend. Just focus on your weekly calorie intake

THIS!

I eat 200 or so calories less on weekdays so I can have a little fun on weekends. So far, so good.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    Don't treat maintenance as the end. It's just a new beginning. Set yourself some new goals and something to strive for when you get there.

I've been maintaining for over two years. In my first year I just kept tracking and focused on just maintaining my weight. It's hard to maintain a passion for just maintaining though, so in my second year I've been concentrating on gaining strength and getting faster.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Up your calories slowly so you can get a better idea of what works for you calorie wise.

Allow yourself a few pound 'range' and don't worry if you go up 2/3 pounds on the scale as it probably won't stay on or long!

Don't stress the little things - you've done great so far so allow yourself an extra treat or two but just keep yourself active

Willpower.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    #1-Pay attention to weekly calorie intake. Not daily. Like others, I like to splurge on the weekends and I'm in the midst of transitioning from 5:2 to 6:1. (Didn't do 6:1 last week but I will this week.)

#2-This is what I want my next step to be: I want to focus on fitness/strengthening/toning. I don't want to be "skinny fat" which is how I feel.
  • capperboy
    capperboy Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Discipline