Replies

• kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Wellll I'm still working on mine but all of the weightloss on my ticker is from doing Atkins :love: I love it! Low carb makes me feel more energetic, ketosis eliminated my hypoglycemia, and the chronic stomach issues I've had all of my life have disappeared (probably due to lack of gluten as a result of not eating carbs)
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, how long have you been doing atkins?
  • Holly_Gets_Hot
    Holly_Gets_Hot Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, ive just started atkins. I know so many people that swear by it! i tend to overeat/binge on carbs so i think Atkins will be good for me.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    :noway: everyone I know including myself that tried atkins did great then gained it all back. If you can eat that way forever then go for it. Otherwise stop dieting and make sustainable changes to the way you eat and move more... good luck.
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of success doing low carb. I love it! There are some great groups on MFP for people that follow a low carb lifestyle - Low Carber Daily Forum....The Group!!! and Reddit Keto are two of my favorites.
  • leehgee89
    leehgee89 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    :noway: everyone I know including myself that tried atkins did great then gained it all back. If you can eat that way forever then go for it. Otherwise stop dieting and make sustainable changes to the way you eat and move more... good luck.

Freya, I'm sorry you did not have long term success on a low carb plan. I dislike the term 'atkins' as it implies a short term diet. My lifestyle is living low carb, and I don't ever feel the pull to eat high or even moderate carb ever again! I've lost 30kg (66pounds) and I've been low carb for 5 months. I believe it to be extremely sustainable. I wish you all the best on your journey, whichever lifestyle you choose!
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me what typical foods you'd cut out on Atkins? Is it literally no bread or pasta or just very little of these?
  • shafa4321
    shafa4321 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Freya, I'm sorry you did not have long term success on a low carb plan. I dislike the term 'atkins' as it implies a short term diet. My lifestyle is living low carb, and I don't ever feel the pull to eat high or even moderate carb ever again! I've lost 30kg (66pounds) and I've been low carb for 5 months. I believe it to be extremely sustainable. I wish you all the best on your journey, whichever lifestyle you choose!

hi do u eat fruit ?
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me what typical foods you'd cut out on Atkins? Is it literally no bread or pasta or just very little of these?

Any grains, bread, rice, pasta, baked goods, things with added sugar, fruit (for the first phase), and starchy vegetables. You're allowed unsweetened dairy products, a very limited daily amount of artificial sweeteners, and some complex carbohydrates like nuts.

If you're creative and have time to cook for yourself it is very, very easy to follow :) I've been following an induction phase based diet (the strictest phase) with a few modifications (the new Atkins Induction doesn't allow nuts and is 20g net carbs a day--I go with the old Atkins induction that allows a very limited amount of nuts and 30g net carbs a day) since September. I really enjoy cooking and it's kind of a fun challenge to make things that you can eat!
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I mix things up from time to time but don't think Atkins is for me. For example ill go a few days with no bread, intentionally, then have a slice of toast but couldn't cut it out completely. Good luck to everyone though.
  • 22dream
    22dream Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Im starting tomorrow i lost 50lbs in. 2 months doing atkins i was a senior in high school and thought it was a quick fix...NO 4 years later and a 1 year old my doctor and nutrionist told me i need to do low carb
  • katieme
    katieme Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I strive to live a low carb lifestyle I dont routinley eat bread pasta starchy veg. I will occasionally go over 50g carb in a day but as I dont have any food allergies I will eat what I'm given if invited to dinner. I have worked hard to make sure I cook healthy meals for me and my family they havent even noticed the reduction in carbs I just have to be a bit more inventive :)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a complex carb? :huh:

There won't be many (if any) success stories from Atkins. It's just another fad diet - with some not very pleasant side effects, I'd like to add.

Just eat at a calorie deficit.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I have seen different types of atkins diets..some very low carb and some no carb. Just like any diet plan it isn't for everyone, I personally limit myself to 2 fruits and 2 gluten free breads a day and no sweets and dairy because otherwise I bloat big time. Others have no issues with eating more or in moderation. Do what is best for you and what helps you lose weight. It is great for those people like us that don't or can't eat breads and lots of fruit.
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people. It is not for everyone, but there are many success stories from people that follow low carb (including health benefits that go beyond weightloss). Many people have either started low carb under doctor's recommendation and/or devote a great amount of time researching optimal macros, nutrition, etc. to meet their individual needs. Also, many low carbers work very hard at daily exercise including weightlifting and cardio, so though it's often categorized as a "fad diet" that people enter into lightly please keep in mind that is often not the case.
  • rachelmarozzi
    rachelmarozzi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school I went from 170 to 135 on Atkins. It was a huge change and I felt so skinny and wonderful. Ten years and a ton of mistakes later, I restarted Atkins yesterday. Hoping to have some success again. I, personally, find Atkins so easy. But I love meat/ cheese/ spinach/ zucchini. Everything allowed is pretty much my favorite foods with the exception of mac and cheese. I'm not big on sweets so I don't mind not having them.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I started Atkins in Early november I was at 178 now im down to 169... My goal is 130-135 i love those foods like spinach and eggs cheese and i do eat fruit i love it. I actually sometimes dont even feel like eating its more like a chore.. Before when i was on my own whatever diet where i just avoided HFCS I kept gaining weight Even when I was exersizing everyday. That was a real let down for me. Anyway whenever I feel like giving up i tell myself THat food pyramid and my food plate is a fad diet so stay on what im doning.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My typical meal on my low carb.........

I bake my own bread.............. Breakfast, An egg or two scrambled, a slice of my homemade bread and a piece of fruit and some water.

Lunch......... Smoked salmon, some pineapple chuncks UNSWEETENED, coffee or tea unsweetneed, If i go to a mexican restraunt i eat like 2 chips and I only allow myself to have two corn tortillas FORGET THE BEANS AND RICE!@! Bring on the salsa like theres no tomrrow......
    Cobb salad eggs, bacon, Blue cheese romaine lettuce tomatos yummmmmmmmmmmm!
    If you dont feel bloated after eating your doing it RIGHT

For snacks I eat Cheese and berries. Whole coconut milk, if you must drink soda have seltzer water, if you must drink coke have a coke that is made with real sugar but only drink 8 ounces a day.
    If you want to exersize you need to have some carbs because that will be your fuel otherwise if you want to be idle, like I want to be, especially since its winter time I stay far away from those carbohydrates.
  • ronaldo4ka
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs on Atkins in 2008 but then gradually gained 40 lbs back through the past 5 years. I had low energy especially the first two weeks and my cholesterol went up through the roof. So yeah, the weight went down for a while, but it was not a diet for me forever...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!