Sitting on my butt all day

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Re my hip snapping - I tore, I think, a tendon. I can't remember the exact problem. I was taken to A&E where they knocked me out with painkillers, x-rayed me and put me on crutches. They thought I had done some kind of damage to the bone because the snap (pop) was extremely loud when it happened. Prior to that, I had noticed that my hips were becoming very stiff, so I do kind of feel like an old lady!

You mentioned a bad back - what is your chair like at work? Is your posture correct? These things are important to get right. Speak to your employer, get a risk assessment of your desk area. Ask for a better chair, or an under desk foot stool. Take regular breaks from your desk, if you can, so you aren't just sitting in one position for hours. And make sure you warm up before exercising.

I still think you should visit your doctor, however.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    See you are in London....
    In a previous job what worked for me was getting the half hour earlier train to the main line terminus and then walking for 30 minutes instead of using the Tube. Bonus was not having to play sardines on the Underground!

Do you cycle? Opens up the possibility of commuting once in a while or a big ride at the weekend.
    Or use a Boris Bike for part of your journey?

Getting stiff at your age seems very strange when you are clearly very active apart from the time you spend at the desk. Pilates or yoga might help perhaps? Wondering if you might benefit from an occasional sports massage?
  • I feel your pain, I have the same sort of thing. I just try to get up and do "a lap" every now and again.
  • lauren3101
    Okay, but I'm not just talking about weight loss.

Yeah, I'm going to respectfully disagree with the "eat less" posts.
    The non exercise activity is a large part of our metabolism.

Do take those walking breaks, even park your car away from your work to get in 15 minute walks a day, work standing or schedule breaks to do something active during the day. It can make a huge difference.

Being active is more than just weight loss.

Have you actually read her post?

"I exercise intensively most days - either lifting heavy weights and doing plyometric training or in dance rehearsals." - An hour or two hours of intensive exercise

"I've tried so many things to help with this. Walking up all the escalators at the tube stations, taking a walk at lunchtime, stretching in my office a few times a day"

The OP is far from not active.

OP, as for your other problems, I don't know exactly what you mean by your hip 'snapping', but if it's a serious issue, visit your doctor. A desk job isn't going to cause that, plus you are 27, you're hardly an old lady! I have a desk job and it doesn't give me health problems.

Yes, I "actually" read her post. I saw that she was complaining about inactivity for 22 hours a day. Aside from planned exercise, NEAT is a major part of metabolic function and clearly implicated if the OP is feeling stiff from inactivity.

Spending hours at a desk, remaining inactive, is an unfortunate health risk or so would the various studies make us think that associate it with increased disease risk (causation and correlation aside). People that are more active, and specifically take breaks away from 6/8 hour sitting spells (Rosencranz Kansas State study - can't make that name up) are generally healthier.

I understand what you are saying, but my point is, the OP is doing all she can to increase activity. She has already said she gets up at 6:45am and is not home till 12am, she does 1 - 2 hours of moderate activity daily (including strength training), she goes for walks on her lunch break, she move as much as possible on her commute, she stretches during her working hours. There is no more time for additional exercise.

There is no doubt that people with a more active job are healthier, but without a career change, there's not much that can be done about that!

I am still convinced there is an underlying problem and/or that the OP is eating too much, Exercise is beneficial for health but not actually necessary for weight loss.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Depending what you have to actually do at your desk... Can you stand? Get one of those laptop desk stations with adjustable height, they don't take up much room...and then for at least some periods throughout the day, stand instead of sit. You could even get some movement and stretching in as you work if you're standing. Also, there are those chairs where you put some of your weight on your knees. From what I've read, it's not JUST the sitting that causes issues, but sitting in the same way for too long. If you had a few alternatives to switch up during the day, that might be helpful.

Eta: of course if it's your weight you are concerned about and you are exercising all you can, you need to eat less. But it seems that you know that, and are concerned with the effects of sitting on your butt all day...which is what my response is meant to address, obviously
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Do you get a lunch break? I used to do a desk job, but it did involve having to move about and speak to people in other departments, and I had an hour for lunch when I used to wander around the shopping centre lol and spend too much money! (That was pre mortgage and pre kids!)

I went to the gym a lot too, and I didn't gain weight, actually lost a fair bit. Although I didn't eat anywhere near enough then.

Now I'm a teacher, and I have to admit I sometimes long for an office job again! I never get to sit down. I work in a tough school, and have to be checking up on the kids all the time. Plus we have to do lots of break no lunch duties. I'd sometimes love to be able to sit at my desk with a cup of coffee!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

Do take those walking breaks, even park your car away from your work to get in 15 minute walks a day, work standing or schedule breaks to do something active during the day. It can make a huge difference.

"I exercise intensively most days - either lifting heavy weights and doing plyometric training or in dance rehearsals." - An hour or two hours of intensive exercise

"I've tried so many things to help with this. Walking up all the escalators at the tube stations, taking a walk at lunchtime, stretching in my office a few times a day"

OP, as for your other problems, I don't know exactly what you mean by your hip 'snapping', but if it's a serious issue, visit your doctor. A desk job isn't going to cause that, plus you are 27, you're hardly an old lady! I have a desk job and it doesn't give me health problems.

Yes, I "actually" read her post. I saw that she was complaining about inactivity for 22 hours a day. Aside from planned exercise, NEAT is a major part of metabolic function and clearly implicated if the OP is feeling stiff from inactivity.

Spending hours at a desk, remaining inactive, is an unfortunate health risk or so would the various studies make us think that associate it with increased disease risk (causation and correlation aside). People that are more active, and specifically take breaks away from 6/8 hour sitting spells (Rosencranz Kansas State study - can't make that name up) are generally healthier.

I understand what you are saying, but my point is, the OP is doing all she can to increase activity. She has already said she gets up at 6:45am and is not home till 12am, she does 1 - 2 hours of moderate activity daily (including strength training), she goes for walks on her lunch break, she move as much as possible on her commute, she stretches during her working hours. There is no more time for additional exercise.

There is no doubt that people with a more active job are healthier, but without a career change, there's not much that can be done about that!

I am still convinced there is an underlying problem and/or that the OP is eating too much, Exercise is beneficial for health but not actually necessary for weight loss.

The OP states she's tried various things to increase her in office activity, I have no way of knowing if she does these consistently (she states she tries) or just every once in a while. Rather than assume, I'm underlining how important these may be. Even if she has an undiagnosed medical condition like fibro - it makes senses to continue to take planned breaks away from sitting.

Unlike you, I'm not convinced about anything here, the suggestion to see a doctor does seem valid, to identify the root cause of an injury. And while exercise is not needed of weight loss, NEAT actually has a much greater impact on weight loss than just exercise and the OP is complaining about inactivity. NEAT addresses both.
    The OP complained about 10 lbs gain in 6 months that's slightly less than 200 cals per day. One can eat less, exercise more or increase NEAT. Any of the three are valid or a combination of them. In a situation where someone complains of activity level if makes sense to increase it, if possible (without increasing exercise).
    Now the thing about eating less is that it actually decreases your NEAT, so whenever possible it makes sense to look at everyday lifestyle elements as part of the overall view of things and not just call out to "eat less".

Edit:You'll also notice that the OP has stated that she finds it very difficult to eat less. Why insist on that if this leads to binging for her?

:flowerforyou:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    It's very difficult for me to eat less. I get hungry - I have a very long day - up at 6.45am and often not home until 12am by the time I've commuted back from dance classes. I tried eating 1500 calories and that's literally the lowest I can go without it leading to a binge where I've gotten so hungry.

But again, that's really the least of my problems. Sitting down all day & on the commute is creating more problems than that, see original post.

If you don't get home until midnight, what time do you actually go to bed?

I know you're young, but lack of sleep isn't a great thing for overall health.

I doubt it's helping your weight loss efforts.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    It's very difficult for me to eat less. I get hungry - I have a very long day - up at 6.45am and often not home until 12am by the time I've commuted back from dance classes. I tried eating 1500 calories and that's literally the lowest I can go without it leading to a binge where I've gotten so hungry.

But again, that's really the least of my problems. Sitting down all day & on the commute is creating more problems than that, see original post.

so you are eating 1500 calories a day and working out and you have gained ten pounds…??? Hmmmm something is amiss here...
  • December 9, 2013 12:46 pm

QUOTE:

"so you are eating 1500 calories a day and working out and you have gained ten pounds…??? Hmmmm something is amiss here... "

Nope, I said I've tried. I've gone through periods of eating that little. I just can't sustain it. And I had no incentive to sustain it, since I lost no more weight than if I were eating 2000 calories. Exercise is what makes the difference for me.
  • Hey

I have a desk job so have a few tips...

Instead of eating, have a drink - I've just started having green tea when I'm feeling like I need something. Before I was drinking lots and lots of water which I found very boring.

Get up at least once an hour (if your boss is okay with this) and have a walk round your office. I drink so much I'm constantly getting up for a pee so I take the long way round to the toilets. Or if your boss isn't so happy with that find an excuse to print something so you have to walk to the printer or walk to someone instead of calling?

Also when I have to commute on the train, I choose to stand. Depends how long your journey is! Mine's 45 mins and I'm happy with that.

Good luck :)
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    OP since you don't think you are able to reduce your calorie intake anymore, and since you don't have any extra time to fit in a significant amount of exercise, why don't you take the other "suggestions"?

If you're not losing weight, you clearly must not have a calorie deficit - I asked already as did a few others I think and I didn't notice an answer - are you weighing and measuring all of your foods? Maybe that's what the only issue here is.
  • I eat all of my meals out of the house except for a couple of times a week when I weigh and measure. The 10lb gain I'm sure is a result of a handful of reckless weekends. Usually though, it all evens out and I bounce back pretty quickly to what I was before. This time though, the weight has just stuck and refused to shift, and I think it's down to the lack of exercise. I'll see what happens over Christmas when I'm off and at the gym/outdoors a lot more. I'm hoping I can lose a few (I'm in pretty intensive training over the next 4/5 weeks for a dance competition) and then just maintain.
    However, the lack of movement during the day still worries me a lot. I'll take on board all of the advice and move as much as possible during the day. I also think yoga is a brilliant idea. Thanks everyone.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    I eat all of my meals out of the house except for a couple of times a week when I weigh and measure. The 10lb gain I'm sure is a result of a handful of reckless weekends. Usually though, it all evens out and I bounce back pretty quickly to what I was before. This time though, the weight has just stuck and refused to shift, and I think it's down to the lack of exercise. I'll see what happens over Christmas when I'm off and at the gym/outdoors a lot more. I'm hoping I can lose a few (I'm in pretty intensive training over the next 4/5 weeks for a dance competition) and then just maintain.
    However, the lack of movement during the day still worries me a lot. I'll take on board all of the advice and move as much as possible during the day. I also think yoga is a brilliant idea. Thanks everyone.

One last thing... Many of us here on MFP are looking for sustainable solutions.
    You may end up with a desk job for the rest of your life.
    You're already busy until midnight... Where are you going to fit yoga, too?
    Losing 10 is one thing... Keeping it off is another. Good luck!
  • lauren3101

The OP states she's tried various things to increase her in office activity, I have no way of knowing if she does these consistently (she states she tries) or just every once in a while. Rather than assume, I'm underlining how important these may be. Even if she has an undiagnosed medical condition like fibro - it makes senses to continue to take planned breaks away from sitting.

Unlike you, I'm not convinced about anything here, the suggestion to see a doctor does seem valid, to identify the root cause of an injury. And while exercise is not needed of weight loss, NEAT actually has a much greater impact on weight loss than just exercise and the OP is complaining about inactivity. NEAT addresses both.
    The OP complained about 10 lbs gain in 6 months that's slightly less than 200 cals per day. One can eat less, exercise more or increase NEAT. Any of the three are valid or a combination of them. In a situation where someone complains of activity level if makes sense to increase it, if possible (without increasing exercise).
    Now the thing about eating less is that it actually decreases your NEAT, so whenever possible it makes sense to look at everyday lifestyle elements as part of the overall view of things and not just call out to "eat less".

Edit:You'll also notice that the OP has stated that she finds it very difficult to eat less. Why insist on that if this leads to binging for her?

:flowerforyou:

No-one will know how active the OP is apart from the OP. I can only base my answer on the details she has provided - which indicates there is no spare time for additional exercise, which is what you seem to be ignoring. You can throw around 'NEAT' as much as you like, but this still stands, therefore, the only other option is to reduce calorie intake.

The OP has said she struggles on a lower intake, but I did actually ask her to open her food diary, mainly because people often struggle because they are eating the wrong types of foods - especially when working at a desk, because you tend to pick rather than eat filling, high protein meals.

As it happens, the OP has now said she only weighs her food a couple of times a week and has 'reckless weekends'. Looks like it is a calorie intake problem after all - what a surprise.

OP, pre-plan meals, cook your lunches and dinners at the weekend for the following week if need be - the freezer is your friend. Weigh and measure everything - the fact you don't is why the weight has stuck.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I gained about 70 pounds switching to a desk job, over a period of about 10 years. I know the feeling. For me, when I started tracking my food and especially when I hit my protein and fat macros, I started losing an average of 2.2 pounds per week. Even without a lot of exercise, tracking your food and controlling your diet is the biggest part of weight loss. I have now lost all of my "desk job" weight. Now I am working to maintain that before tackling my "baby weight."
  • addmorecloud
    addmorecloud Posts: 78 Member
    If you love dancing and feel like being still all day is damaging your health, why not train to be a dance teacher? I've seen good Zumba instructors teach classes of 50 or so in a large hall at 5 pounds per person.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    I eat all of my meals out of the house except for a couple of times a week when I weigh and measure. The 10lb gain I'm sure is a result of a handful of reckless weekends. Usually though, it all evens out and I bounce back pretty quickly to what I was before. This time though, the weight has just stuck and refused to shift, and I think it's down to the lack of exercise. I'll see what happens over Christmas when I'm off and at the gym/outdoors a lot more. I'm hoping I can lose a few (I'm in pretty intensive training over the next 4/5 weeks for a dance competition) and then just maintain.

If you eat most meals out and can't weigh/measure, that's got the potential to be a BIG factor here in the accuracy of your daily intake.

Another thing that sucks to hear but might be true...you're profile says you are 27... You mention how in the past you've had no trouble bouncing back from reckless weekends. This changes with age, and you're at that point in life now where you can't behave the way you did 5 years ago and expect the same results.
  • "As it happens, the OP has now said she only weighs her food a couple of times a week and has 'reckless weekends'. Looks like it is a calorie intake problem after all - what a surprise"

Whoa, now. Please do not misrepresent what I've said. My typical day is to get porridge and a soya latte from Starbucks (calories counted, available on their website), my lunch with coworkers from Pret (calories also on their website) and dinner, when I grab something from Whole Foods, or some other grocery store, is also calorie counted. The times I bring food from home that I've made from scratch, I've weighed and measured it.

And I don't 'have reckless weekends'. I said I could attribute my 10lbs weight gain to a handful of events here and there where I've splurged, NOT what I eat on a daily basis. My point was that the fact the 10lbs is not coming off once I resume eating normally I feel is down to being so sedentary, as during the times I've been more active during the day (at a different desk job), the 1-2lbs I gained over a weekend, or an event, came right back off with little to no effort.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    See you are in London....
    In a previous job what worked for me was getting the half hour earlier train to the main line terminus and then walking for 30 minutes instead of using the Tube. Bonus was not having to play sardines on the Underground!

my husband used to walk just between to tube stations, because the crowding at one (Victoria IIRC) was so intense it was actually quicker to walk from one to the next than to queue up to get on the platform (usually 20mins just to get on the platform)

Walking through London is easier than you'd think, and the stations are nearer to each other than you'd think. I think this is a good suggestion. Even just walking one or two stops can make a huge difference, it may even be quicker.

Also some tips for getting more exercise in an office or similar... take the stairs, use the bathroom on another floor and use the stairs to get there and back. And just take exercise breaks from your desk every now and then. And go for a walk at lunch time.