Pure Gym ??

Options
siany01
siany01 Posts: 319 Member
Is anyone a Pure Gym member in the UK? Or anywhere else for that matter if they are other places.

What are they like? I worry that because its so cheap it is going to be a case of you get what you pay for. I have a new one just opened up near me and it looks good for £20 a month but I do worry that it won't be that great.

Also from a safety point of view I would probably be looking at going at 5am, I know its a 24 hour gym but will it be manned 24 hours or will I be alone in the gym with a serial rapist who stole someone else's door pin number?

Thank you

Replies

• jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of the one in Leeds, have been a member for around 3 months. You do get what you pay for, dont expect a pool or sauna but plenty of modern cardio equipment and a fairly reasonable weights range. The gym's are open 24 hours but they aren't constantly staffed, it may vary but mine is staffed 6am-midnight. Out of those times its protected by two security gates, CCTV and help points.

They don't offer free Day Passes but you can usually go down and one of the trainers will show you around no problem.
  • siany01
    Options
    Thank you. I will need to find out the earlier manned time then as I want to be able to go early before the kids get up so I can get it done and out of the way.
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The FAQ's show us all their clubs staffed from 06:00 - http://www.puregym.com/faq.

I've been before hours before and to be honest there is only ever one or two people in, usually insomniacs and night shift workers!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i'm a member in Scotland and so far so good. 5am sounds like the perfect time to go actually - don't know what you're planning to do but i like to use the barbell so i can't really go in the evenings as the freeweight area is full of BOYS then :(

the only difference i have found from my last gym is the lack of a pool but at £19 instead of the £43 a month i was paying, this isn't that much of an issue plus there's no contract.
  • siany01
    Options
    i'm a member in Scotland and so far so good. 5am sounds like the perfect time to go actually - don't know what you're planning to do but i like to use the barbell so i can't really go in the evenings as the freeweight area is full of BOYS then :(

the only difference i have found from my last gym is the lack of a pool but at £19 instead of the £43 a month i was paying, this isn't that much of an issue plus there's no contract.

Yep I am planning on doing stronglifts 5x5 so thats what I was thinking, its less likely to be full of people wanting to use it. I am not too bothered about the pool etc. I want the weights room :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    yes, mine is good - 2 squat racks and the boys seem to congregate in the evenings and at weekends - so before work is usually perfect for me.

if you e-mail the manager of your local one, they'll let you in for a nosy round.

all the classes are included in the price btw, which is a nice bonus - need to stop, i'm starting to sound like a sales rep for them :D:D
  • siany01
    Options
    Thank you. I think I will see if I can go down there and have a look around. I think I will also spend the £15 on a fitness program so I can make sure that my form is good and can make sure I 100% know how to use it all. :)
  • Kashton2011
    Kashton2011 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm a member at the Gateshead one and I have to say it is really good.

there are lots of each piece of equipment and even when its busy I've never seen a queue for a bike or anything! I'm paying less than £12 per month and its excellent value for money. I'm not bothered about a pool or a sauna either so no big loss

The fact that most of the classes are included in the membership price is really good also.

I would definitely recommend
  • jjakaalbinoboy
    Options
    Just joined one opening soon in Redditch, been round on the induction and looks good!
  • hazeljordan1974
    hazeljordan1974 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm a member down in Southampton - been going for 3 months now. I really like it, there is a lot of kit there (more than at the Council gym I used to be a member at) and even when it is busy I've pretty much always managed to get on what I want to, although I know January will be different with all the new year resolutioners!

I think it's a bargain, mine is £18.99 per month and I go about 4 - 5 times a week which works out at about 80p - £1 per session!
  • vegehippie
    vegehippie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

Does anyone have any experience of the PureGym in Nottingham? It's only around the corner from me and at £18.99 a month it's not a bad price at all. I've read mixed reviews about the Nottingham gym but I don't really know how much attention I should be paying to them. I only need simple cardio and maybe some free weights equipment so I'm not too fussed if the equipment isn't super high tech or whatever. There are lots of classes there too. I was hoping to join later this week.

Would love to hear from anyone with experience!