Hello, My Name is Self-Sabotage.

Options
I am 4 pounds from my half way point. At that weight, I will be in onederland. I want to be in onederland. My ugly friend self-sabotage showed up about two weeks ago, and ever since, I can not quit eating. I am still exercising, but I feel like I am half-assing it.

I truly want to change my life and I want to get healthy. I am afraid of failure just as much as I am afraid of success. I know that it has taken alot to get to this point, and I know that it will take just as much work if not more to get to my goal. It scares me.

I need some motivation.

To all my fellow self-sabotagers, what keeps you motivated? What helps you when you get to the point where you have to break through that barrier?

Replies

• lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Hello Self-Sabotage, this is your friend 'fake it until you make it' speaking. When you feel like you have no motivation to be good, just pretend and fake all the motivation in the world and eventually it will come back. Also, don't forget about our friend 'determined", he's an important friend to have.

You can do this.
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Tight-fitting pants usually get me motivated. Right now I'm trying to get back on track after a week of negligence.
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    That happens to me a lot - I'll go through days, weeks, even a month of no motivation and self-sabatoging. That awful voice that says "You have so far to go, eating an extra slice of cake or skipping your workout won't make a difference in the long run." The worst is, as you say, feeling like you're half-assing is in comparison to what you used to do.

My suggestion - fake it til you make it. Yeah, you might be only doing half as much as you should, but it's something! Give yourself a streak, like exercise every day or record calories every day, that you don't want to break so that you will be encouraged to keep it up. Eventually that only motivation will come back.

Other ideas? Look through fitness magazines, try a new class at the gym, read success stories, pinch your fat int he mirror (ha, I do this!), take new measurements, make a healthy recipe. Good luck!
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    lina1131, I must have been reading your mind! :laugh:
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    You know, this is really hard! I try to remind myself that I didn't get this way overnight and it will take some time. I remind myself how GREAT it feels to put on a pair of pants that just 2 months ago were really tight and they are now slipping down my hips. I suck it up and eat the salad when my family is eating chick Fil A in front of me. When I have the hungry days, I try to fill up on bulk items-raw veggies, veggies dipped in hummus, apples with peanut butter. If I have a specific craving (and if that darn Groupon ad doesn't stop showing me doughnuts, I'll have to scratch that itch soon!) I eat ONE of the item or a very small portion of it. Don't think of it as failure, it's not. It's a setback. The last 2 weeks are over and today is another day. Eat a good lunch, then eat a good snack, then eat a good dinner and so on and so on. It's a long journey and you have to take it one step at a time. Good luck!
  • shoegirl2
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I am my own worst enemy. However, I just ordered some CD's to help me in the business world, but I used their visualization technique yesterday to get myself to exercise! I had no energy, no motivation and it was raining outside. BUT, I visualized myself doing an aerobic video and how good I would feel afterward, and I went and did it! Kicking and screaming, of course, but still did it! And, my afternoon was so much better! I had much more energy and motivation. So, try to visualize! Good luck!
  • celeste2u
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement. you all had wonderful things to say, and I will take every bit of advice and use it.:smile: