LARGE/Wide Rib Cage. Can I ever get a flat core/torso?

Options
MorgueBabe
MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
I have no idea how to explain this even with picture but I'm going to try.
Here is a picture of me on my side I AM NOT sucking in or expanding my rib cage out in this picture
P1030242-1.jpg
Here is a picture of me standing up and a few pounds heavier (But you can still see my rib cage bump)
P1080850.jpg

Can I ever achieve a flat core like this
o9iiaw.jpg
or
58184_184713818346468_1989941006_n.jpg

Does anyone else have a big rib cage? Like i just feel like everyone else rib cage bump is even with their hip bones, and mine is so much wider than my hip bones.

Replies

• Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I have the same thing. Always wondered if it meant we had big lungs, lol.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Phooey, I can't see your pictures here at work! I have a big rib cage, too. Wide hips as well, so it's a double whammy. Too thin and I look skeletal. I'm trying some body recomp now through heavy lifting. Hoping more muscle around the middle will help even it out :)
  • Danagirl28
    Danagirl28 Posts: 21
    Options
    not quite sure what you can do, and hate to bear bad news, but I don't think it's going to work. My ribs aren't that big, but they flare out noticeably at the bottom. Even when I was lifting, swimming, and doing A LOT of other things, and was in great shape.... it never evened out. It's always great to look like the pics, with sculpted bodies that have curves in all the right places and nice flat lines elsewhere. The reality is, it's not for everyone. I've had to come to terms with this (and trust me, it took years), but now, I just go more for being happy as me....flaws and all, because as my husband says, "it makes a great place to rest my hands when I touch you!" :-)
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have a large rib cage too. I try not to look at other bodies as a goal and try try to see what my own body is capable of. If my ribs are larger than average, whatev.
  • yogaga1
    yogaga1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    First of all- you are super duper pretty! I wasted a long portion of my life hating on my body because my rib cage stuck out far. Go look in the mirror and high five yourself for looking fab just the way you are!!

With that said- I am more of a lurker on these boards and don't usually pop in to say much- but wanted to chime in because I struggled with this exact issue. My husband used to poke fun at me and grab my ribs and say "Nice boobs"...yeah, I admit- they stuck out farther than my boobs! It certainly didn't help with the fact that I was already my worst critic! Ha

I am shorter (5'4'') and along with my larger rib cage, I had what I always defined as a "short torso". Double whammy! Longer legs, long arms, and a stumpy little midsection that looked even sillier with my big ole rib cage. I am now almost a year into TDEE -10%, running, yoga & weight training and my body has changed SO much. I don't have any pictures to show you (sorry!) but my body has now "evened out" awesomely. I have only lost 13 lbs this year but went from a size 14 (probably a 16 but I stopped buying clothes after I hit 14) to a size 2-4 depending on the brand. I always thought I would like dumb under size 8 because of my rib cage. Negative!

I was a chronic yo-yo dieter for years. I have done yoga on and off for a long time but wasn't as dedicated to it as I am now, otherwise- I hadn't worked out, like, EVER prior to this year. Anytime I lost weight simply by dieting and a little yoga- my large rib cage and short little waist remained. I may have lost scale weight but I didn't look much different. I really think weight training is what changed everything for me. I APPEAR longer in the midsection. Like, Victorias Secret obnoxiously long torso- Longer! I sure didn't grow any taller, despite the lies on my drivers license! ;) And my darn big ole rib cage hasn't gone down in inches either- can't shrink a bone! But it's not drastically out of proportion compared to my waist and hips anymore- even though I've gotten much smaller. I can't really come up with another way to describe it other than my body composition is totally different.

I wish I would have taken pictures that I could share, but I didn't! So, you can only go by my words. I hope I explained that in a way to give you some kind of visual! lol! Just know it's possible!!

PS- I like to think that my extra large rib cage is a super power of mine. Cause, you know...This ex couch potato can now run for two whole hours on my weekend long runs because my BIG OLE SET OF LUNGS! At least that's what I tell myself... HOLLA! ;)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but no, you will never look like the women you posted without crazy, invasive surgeries. I'm in a similar boat to you, big rib cage (thanks dad) but hey, our lung capacity is awesome.

But don't feel bad, you still look great and with continued hard work, you can look even better. I wish I had a smaller nose too (the cute ones like so many actresses and models have) but that doesn't mean I think I'm unattractive because of the schnoz I inherited. I think everyone wishes that some part of them was a bit different (there's a reason that breast augmentation is the #1 cosmetic surgery in the US).

Chin up I say.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I admit- they stuck out farther than my boobs! It certainly didn't help with the fact that I was already my worst critic! Ha

I am shorter (5'4'') and along with my larger rib cage, I had what I always defined as a "short torso". Double whammy! Longer legs, long arms, and a stumpy little midsection that looked even sillier with my big ole rib cage.

We're twins! LOL. I have super long arms and legs I had my back bone fused when I was 8, so essentially my torso is the length of an 8 year old. My half brother and half sister are both over 6 foot tall.... I have arms and legs that match friends who are around 6 or 7 inches taller than me.
    I'm in a similar boat to you, big rib cage (thanks dad) but hey, our lung capacity is awesome.
    Yes, 100% thanks dad. I look literally just my dad, I have his body type (with hips) and I have have his face. And yes my lung capacity rocks. I play trombone and played bass trombone in college. Yay!

Thank You everyone! I don't "hate" on my bod that much... I just wanted to know if I had a goal that was "obtainable" like if building muscle created a corset effect and zipped in the rib cage.

Huge Hugs to everyone. I love this place.
  • yogaga1
    yogaga1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    OMG, I'm a DB. Now that I have re-read my post- I didn't mean to project my past insecurities on you by pushing my "don't hate" agenda! LOL I'm super glad you aren't plagued by that! :) This is why I'm a lurker- my words don't come out well! Ha

Also- shameless plug- BAND NERDS (whatever, I was cool!) UNITE. Fellow trombone, trumpet and french horn player back in the day over here. Whoop whoop!

Good Luck!
  • Lynnifer65
    Options
    Have the same problem. I have a triple whammy im 4'11, short legs, short torso. I have to live with it. A few years ago when i was going through my breakup with my ex i lost so much weight i was down to 98 pounds and my ribs were sticking out. It looked like i had 2 sets of breasts. I know exactly what your talking about. Good to know im not the only one!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Sorry it took me so long to respond but i was busy staring at the pics on this thread for a looooong time. To answer your question;

Yes, you can get a flat stomach
    No, you won't look like the women in the photo as they have different skeletal proportions than you do.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Whenever people mention their big rib cages I just think about Bettie Page.

http://newsmanone.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/bettie-page1.jpg

(it's too big to actually post, but I promise you she's wearing a swimsuit and this picture is only intended to point out the size of her rib cage.)

I think she's gorgeous, for the record.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I have this as well. Years ago at the asthma/allergy doctor they were testing my lung capacity and turns out my lungs are 134% the size of what the average person of my size would typically be, which actually made it so that with asthma I was still breathing at 90 something %, lol. Weirdness, but I don' t mind, helps with singing :). You probably have larger lungs as well.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    My ankles are fat . . .
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    My rib cage is extremely wide as well, but I do have a flat-ish tummy.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have a very wide rib cage (thanks to having boys who lived inside of my ribs the last few months of pregnancy). It's possible to have a nice core and part of presentation is just how you bend/lean/stand. Even judges at competitions comment on my rib cage being big.

IMG_20130803_135317_zps3ef17f41.jpg
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can get a flat stomach
    No, you won't look like the women in the photo as they have different skeletal proportions than you do.

As davpul said, work with what you have. It's the proportion, if you measure from the bottom of your ribs to the top of your hips and it's on the short side you can still look fantastic. :)
  • oDDnySS
    oDDnySS Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Mine do the same thing! My circumference isn't large, but I have narrower hips by comparison, and so my ribs sort of protrude at the bottom of my cage (my sister, who is a tiny little thing, also has the same issue) and I even notice that if I bend a certain way, my bottom ribs touch my pelvis bones (ouch lol). I have learned to embrace it- I think you look great in your pictures, and being slightly more statuesque, rather than scrawny, is a helluva lot more desirable! Larger lung capacity may be the cause, or perhaps it's just your overall anatomy (there is no such thing as "big boned" or "small boned", but everyone's build is different)- either way, don't get hung up on it- you are an attractive, healthy woman!
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My ankles are fat . . .

I used to have Thankles...kind of like Cankles but bigger...
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You can get a pretty flat stomach but your rib cage will still always be the same. Mine always has stuck out a lot, and I really couldn't stand it. A few years ago I was super self conscious about it. My cousin had told me it was just upper stomach/under boob fat fat, and I listened to her, so I went crazy trying to lose weight to get rid of this fat that was seriously just my rib cage. I lost enough weight that my BMI was about 18 which is underweight, yet my darn ribcage was still sticking out just the same. There's no way to change your anatomy. :ohwell: I'm a dancer and am always wearing tight fitting leotards and my large rib cage is so obvious; nonetheless people can still tell I have a flat belly and that it's just the way I'm built that my rib cage area sticks out a lot. So I've learned to live with it and love myself for how I am. :glasses:
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Sorry you all have the big ole ribcages, but very glad to know I'm not the only one!!! Mine is just like yours OP. VERY wide. I used to be much smaller and in good shape, and yes my tummy was flat, but the ribcage is there to stay!!:) I am at peace with it now, cause I know there is nothing I can do about it. I am going to try and focus on the things I CAN do.:flowerforyou: Oh, My mom is tiny and petite, ribcage is from my dad as well!!! Ugh!!! I also have excellent lung capacity! I can sing for a long time without taking a breath, and boy can I swim underwater for a long time!!!:laugh: