Weekend derailments

Options
Hey everyone....I was just wondering if anyone had any good tips or tricks of how they stay on track during the weekends? I do really well during the week with my eating, but as soon as the weekend hits I'm totally off course. I don't know if it's a lack of a scheduled day, or lack of willpower....probably both. But I'm having a hard time. Any suggestions?????

Replies

• 2boys111
    2boys111 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I know! Weekends are hard!

This is what I do:

--stick to healthy protein rich breakfast. my kids tend to do pancakes, waffles, carb filled breakfasts on weekends. It helps when I plan on a healthy, low-carb breakfast for me.

--plan a few treats. Either a dinner out or a great dessert on Sat or Sun night. I still don't go crazy but I know it's one of my special treats so I feel ok about it.

--lots of water

--at least one long walk. I like to take a leisurely walk while my husband to manage my crew at home. It might not be a gigantic calorie burn but it's good for my mindset to take extra time for myself.

Good luck!
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I kind of bank calories during the week so that I don't need to worry so much on weekends. If I am unable to bank enough then I just pay really close attention on the weekends. I normally try to hit the gym and be active as well.
  • scorpia1977
    scorpia1977 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. During the week, I do very well, but when the weekend comes, I have a really hard time sticking to my plan. I know what you are going through.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    For me, it was definitely lack of a schedule/plan. Also I'm a boredom eater so if I was just laying around watching the boob tube, I'd get the munchies. And it doesn't help that I'm a foodie and love watching cooking shows!

First step is to make up my grocery list for the week on Saturday morning. This starts me out focused on my eating plan right out the gate. And I plan everything - snacks, breakfast, lunch and dinner - so there aren't any surprises. If it's not on hand in the fridge or cupboard, I won't eat it. No stopping at drive-thrus just because it's convenient.
    ETA: Added for full disclosure - we do get take-out for dinner but I try to limit it to once every couple of weeks. At the very least, having a planned dinner can delay the want for take-out. Say Hubs wants pizza, I'll tell him I've got chicken or pork chops to cook up so that has to wait a day or two. This gives me time to plan the next couple of days so I can make that pizza fit into my plan (or mostly fit).

As far as boredom, it can be just as bad as stress eating. Normally there's something that needs to be done like a little cleaning or bill paying or filing so I'll force myself to stop procrastinating and just do it. When I'm done, I don't turn the TV back on because it'll likely bring me back to boredom so instead I'll pick up a good book or play on my tablet. And if that doesn't cut it, I'll get out of the house - go for a walk if it's nice, go to the library or shopping if it's not. Just avoid food places if that's too tempting. And if it's snowing, go out and shovel and make snow angels. :)
    ETA: get some exercise DVDs if you don't already have some and plug one of those in when you're bored. At least you'll burn the extra calories to make up for any extra munching you do!

I don't starve or deprive myself by any means, just trying to delay eating until I'm actually hungry.

In a way, I'm glad I don't have a super active social life so most weekends it's just the usual meals just like Mon-Fri. When I do meet up with friends, I plan to make good choices and allow myself an indulgence (like an adult beverage or two).
  • bcakes81178
    Options
    Thank you!!!! This is super helpful!!!!
  • fluffymama33
    fluffymama33 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love the advice on this subject...I'm the same way. While I am at work, it is really simple to stay on track. I drink my water all day, have all my meals with me and ready to go. But on my days off, it's like I don't know what to do first lol.
  • jemmina86
    Options
    My problem seems to be alcohol on weekends! I've stopped drinking during the week (except for functions, special occasions) but I find it really hard to say no on weekends, partly because I feel I deserve it after a long week of being good, and also I feel like the odd one out when I catch up with my friends and family.
  • amberflo143
    amberflo143 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This is somthing I have a hard time with too. I am in a good routine for the week and the weekend comes and I have to really use willpower and planning. I have honestly found to workout double on Saturday and Sunday and plan to eat a big meal both days. I found once I ate a big, satisfing meal I was not hungry for anything else and was able to stay in my calorie range. But I have noticed that my stomach has shrunk and I am not able to eat aas much.