it finally happened....

Options
Having talked to other people who have lost massive amounts of weight, they always ask me if I've started getting the back handed compliments yet and I wasn't quite sure what they were talking about....until tonight. A lady in the choir I'm in was talking to me tonight and asked the usual ''How have you lost the weight'' and I gave the same old spiel. And then she said ''Well it looks good. It makes you pretty now."

uh.....I says 'PARDON?'

So I guess I've legit made it into the club. I wonder how much prettier I'll be in another 30 pounds :P lol

Replies

• MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    ugh...people just don't realize what they are saying. One of my hubby's friends noticed I had lost weight and blurted out to my husband, "wow, what are you going to do if she gets hot?"
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Ha Ha I've heard people say that before and they back track until they can make a quick exit.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    ugh...people just don't realize what they are saying. One of my hubby's friends noticed I had lost weight and blurted out to my husband, "wow, what are you going to do if she gets hot?"

efffing hilarious!!!!!
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options

BAHAHAHA!! WHAAAAAAAAAT? what did your husband say? something appropriately sarcastic and such, I hope!
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options
    Ha Ha I've heard people say that before and they back track until they can make a quick exit.

well this lady looked quite proud of herself like she was sure she had just bestowed upon me the best compliment EVARRRR. lol. It will take analysis of "further data" (aka, the numerous other rude comments I'm sure I have coming my way now that the 'seal' is broken) but I have a theory that these comments will generally come from people who are currently quite overweight, or who have been in the past, and have always associated their own beauty (and therefore self-worth) with their weight...and end up projecting that on other people.
  • sthak2001
    sthak2001 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My favorite - "you used to looks so old before. you look younger and more refreshed now." yep - that's what i was going for -- "refreshed"
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Lord I hate this.

I especially hate men who never spoke to me when I was fat suddenly asking me how I am and essentially sucking up. If I wasn't good enough for you then, you're not good enough for me now!
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options
    Lord I hate this.

I especially hate men who never spoke to me when I was fat suddenly asking me how I am and essentially sucking up. If I wasn't good enough for you then, you're not good enough for me now!

preach!
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options
    My favorite - "you used to looks so old before. you look younger and more refreshed now." yep - that's what i was going for -- "refreshed"

I actually find I look older now because I don't have all the fat in my face filling out my wrinkles. up until about half a year ago everyone who didn't know my actual age thought I was somewhere between 23 and 25. Now I definitely look 33.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!