Boxing Day Clothing shopping

Options
CorlissaEats
CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
This might be more of a Canadian thing, but: Boxing Day sales for clothing this year. YAY or NAY?

I'm only part way thru my weightloss. I know I need some new clothes because my old stuff is getting really lose. Wearing leggings and tights, because of the cold, is holding them up where they should be. I know I am going to need some transition sizes and eventually my final size. I am a little leary of buying clothing and then not reaching the smaller size like I want. I've lost 15, I have another 25-30 to go and I already know that lifting/weights is going to have to be part of achieving the final 10. I dont actually expect to drop more than 4 sizes (16 to size 12). Given my bone structure and LBM, its unlikely that I will get below a size 10. (Yes, I do utilize Value Village but their selection sucks in my area.)

I have a friend who suggested that I just skip the sales this year. She said, based on her own 20lb loss, that its best to wait until you reach your goal to shop. That way the clothes fit your new body.

Where do you weigh in on the Boxing Day shopping dilemna? to shop or not to shop?

Replies

• 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If you manage to only buy a few essential basics and don't go all out I'd say shop... you can't run around in too large clothes forever!

Then again... I tried this approach and miserably failed while trying this in the summer sales, cause I was so excited to fit into smaller sizes, spend far to much money on things that are to big now. But if you got the will power to keep away from temptation, why not?

Also, I'm not a fan of buying things in smaller sizes for later, your body shape might change and even if the clothes might fit later they could be wrong anyway as they don't match your shape.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm well south of you and therefore, I know zilch about the Boxing Day Sales.

But I personally think you've gotta have clothes that fit all the way through. I think waiting 'til your goal size is pretty unrealistic for most people, even if you only have 10 or 20-ish lb to lose.

When I started to realize my clothes were baggy, others had already noticed. I felt frumpy & awful in a lot of my clothes and it was not very flattering to my changing figure. Even now I struggle with hanging on to clothing I really should get rid of.

It is a better motivator, in my opinion, to have clothes that fit well. I've seen a lot of similar MFP threads on this topic and the general consensus seems to be that others notice your loss more (and comment favorably) when you wear new smaller clothing.

If budget is an issue AND secondhand shopping is kinda "out"...try to aim for more of a capsule wardrobe. I know for me, I was at size 22 for more than 10 years and accumulated some really lovely clothing, a huge wardrobe with 30+ pair of jeans/pants and at least 100 tops. Now I'm in the 14-18 range and have a mere fraction of that. I currently own 3 pairs of jeans and this winter my sweater collection is half a dozen, most of which really need to be tossed or donated SOON. That would have been unfathomable to the old me, but I know that it would be pointless to buy a FULL wardrobe in size 16 since I don't know what size I'll end up.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of buying things in smaller sizes for later, your body shape might change and even if the clothes might fit in later they could be wrong anyway...

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

At this point in the game (total loss of 98 lb) I am getting better at determining what will and won't work for my figure as it gets smaller. I can safely buy dress pants up to 3 sizes smaller and know that I will fit them down the road. However, when it comes to jeans I have no idea. I have already been "burned" in this area (luckily cheap thrift store finds) by skipping over sizes. For example, I went from 22 to 18 with a very short period of wearing size 20. I am in 16 right now but 14s are starting to fit and I just left behind a lot of 18s so it looks like I'm gonna "skip" 16 for the most part.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I know I need pants. I am thinking I might just by a pair or two in black. One pair that fits now and one that is a little snug. We are getting -30C temps up here so tights under the clothes are essential. Hoping that gets me thru to spring anyways.

Part of me is ok looking frumpy. I lean towards a big reveal, suddenly dressing for my body and it being fantastically noticeable! Unfortunately, at my rate of progress- that isnt going to happen for at least 30 weeks. :grumble:
  • lilredhead314
    lilredhead314 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This might be more of a Canadian thing, but: Boxing Day sales for clothing this year. YAY or NAY?

I'm only part way thru my weightloss. I know I need some new clothes because my old stuff is getting really lose. Wearing leggings and tights, because of the cold, is holding them up where they should be. I know I am going to need some transition sizes and eventually my final size. I am a little leary of buying clothing and then not reaching the smaller size like I want. I've lost 15, I have another 25-30 to go and I already know that lifting/weights is going to have to be part of achieving the final 10. I dont actually expect to drop more than 4 sizes (16 to size 12). Given my bone structure and LBM, its unlikely that I will get below a size 10. (Yes, I do utilize Value Village but their selection sucks in my area.)

I have a friend who suggested that I just skip the sales this year. She said, based on her own 20lb loss, that its best to wait until you reach your goal to shop. That way the clothes fit your new body.

Where do you weigh in on the Boxing Day shopping dilemna? to shop or not to shop?

I'm in the same boat as you. None of my clothes fit me, but I plan to lose a bit more weight so I dont want to spend money on clothes that don't fit me. I do need clothes that fit so I dont look like a slob at work, so I've been buying cute basics that I will probably be able to sell to a second hand when they no longer fit. I've been selling most of my old clothes that are so big they are unwearable. I also have some dresses that I spend lots of money on, which I plan to have sized down by a tailor.

I would totally shop the sales. Get a few cute, appropriate pieces to that a reasonably priced, knowing I will only be able to wear them for a couple of months.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I avoid all stores on Boxing Day :noway:
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm picking up a few things this year on Boxing Day I love boxing day shopping :)

I"m pretty close to goal weight now so I think I'm safe picking up some essentials. I also need some yoga clothes so those I can get for sure.

I think getting a couple of things now is a good idea, and if you can get them for a great price all the better.

I agree with not buying small though. not only might your body shape change your taste might too. I quit hiding in loose fitting clothes once I lost the weight and started trying on the cute fitted stuff I would never have worn 30 lbs ago