Disheartened after weight gain

Options
I have gained 2 kilos this last week!
I have not done much different in regard to eating and exercising I have been doing so well I had an overall loss of 4 kilo now its back to 2 kilo loss very disheartening :(

Replies

• Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Gosh, it's a mystery. :huh:

So yeah, eat fewer calories overall. That's how you lose weight. That's all you have to do. And even if you do all these other wonderful things (like exercise, eat "clean" or "healthy" or "vegan" or "fruitarian" or whatever), you still won't lose weight if you eat as many calories as you expend each day. And if you eat more calories than you expend each day, you'll GAIN weight. So yeah, eat fewer calories overall.

So how do you know you're eating fewer calories overall? I'm glad you asked! You track everything you eat, precisely. Once you know how many calories you're eating, you'll know the number that is NOT resulting in weight loss. To lose weight, you'll have to eat FEWER than that number of calories each day. Presto! Weight loss.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Your food diary was not open so I am not sure what your eating habits are but the best thing I think you can do is try to eat healthy nutritious foods, be active, drink enough water. Maybe try something like this:

Breakfast:
    lemon water
    green smoothie (Mine is 1 cup water, 2 cups baby spinach and baby kale or other greens, 1/2 banana, 1/3 cup blueberries, I also add 1/3 cup fage yogurt or 1 tbl peanutbutter for protein-I don't like protein powders, a few mint leaves, cilantro leaves, a tiny bit of ginger)
    2 boiled eggs with salt, pepper, paprika, and a little extra virgin olive oil

Snack:
    1/4 cup raw unsalted almonds or other nuts

Lunch:
    lean chicken or fish
    lots of veggies (especially green)

Snack
    1 gala apple or other fruits/veggies

Dinner
    lean chicken of fish
    sweet potato

LOTS of water, add lemon, cucumber, mint if you want

After dinner "tea":
    1/4 lemon juice
    few mint leaves
    few cilantro leaves
    tiny bit of fresh ginger
    add boiling hot water, drink after a few minutes

Some form of activity as often as possible every day. (cardio 3x, strength 3x, walking whenever possible)

Medjool dates could replace the m&ms for any sweet cravings. Mix up the fruit and veggies and it can have tons of variety. A high quality multi-vitamin might be worth adding as well. The idea here is to work towards a healthier lifestyle that involves foods that nourish the body with vitamins and minerals, not just empty calories. I really hope this helps.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates. If you're sticking to your calories and you're logging accurately then you just need to wait out the fluctuation. Especially if you've had a lot of salt or if it's your time of month you may see up to 5-6 lbs of water retention.
  • Siansonea
    Options
    Your food diary was not open so I am not sure what your eating habits are but the best thing I think you can do is try to eat healthy nutritious foods, be active, drink enough water. Maybe try something like this:

Breakfast:
    lemon water
    green smoothie (Mine is 1 cup water, 2 cups baby spinach and baby kale or other greens, 1/2 banana, 1/3 cup blueberries, I also add 1/3 cup fage yogurt or 1 tbl peanutbutter for protein-I don't like protein powders, a few mint leaves, cilantro leaves, a tiny bit of ginger)

Snack:

Lunch:
    lean chicken or fish

Snack

Dinner
    lean chicken of fish
    sweet potato

After dinner "tea":
    1/4 lemon juice
    few mint leaves
    few cilantro leaves
    tiny bit of fresh ginger

Some form of activity as often as possible every day. (cardio 3x, strength 3x, walking whenever possible)

Medjool dates could replace the m&ms for any sweet cravings. Mix up the fruit and veggies and it can have tons of variety. A high quality multi-vitamin might be worth adding as well. The idea here is to work towards a healthier lifestyle that involves foods that nourish the body with vitamins and minerals, not just empty calories. I really hope this helps.

Or, you could eat McDonald's and Taco Bell, but stop eating at an appropriate calorie limit. It's not complicated. :huh:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Breakfast:
    lemon water

Snack:

Lunch:
    lean chicken or fish

Snack

Dinner
    lean chicken of fish
    sweet potato

After dinner "tea":
    1/4 lemon juice
    few mint leaves
    few cilantro leaves
    tiny bit of fresh ginger

Or, you could eat McDonald's and Taco Bell, but stop eating at an appropriate calorie limit. It's not complicated. :huh:

+1

That meal plan looks dreadfully boring.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have gained 2 kilos this last week!
    I have not done much different in regard to eating and exercising I have been doing so well I had an overall loss of 4 kilo now its back to 2 kilo loss very disheartening :(

An open diary would help. Have you tracked absolutely everything? Been drinking lots of water? Have you worked out your BMR (Base Metabolic Rate - the calories you need just to live) and your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)?

How much weight do you want to lose? - if it's not very much then it will take time.

Did you weigh yourself at the same time of day? Best to stick to the same time of day - fluid retention and contents of stomach can make a difference.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It is not boring at all. Chicken and fish can both be cooked in thousands of different ways. There is a huge variety of fish to choose from, a huge variety of fruit and veggies to choose from. Eating McDonald's at a calorie deficit may get you the weight you want but perhaps with clogged arteries, high BP, and low energy. For me the goal is always optimal health, energy, and body composition, not just the number on the scale. Eating healthy natural foods also improves my mood and skin, but that's just me. I don't believe in "a calorie is a calorie" and nor does my doctor. (I have been at a healthy weight for 2 years).
  • Siansonea
    Options
    It is not boring at all. Chicken and fish can both be cooked in thousands of different ways. There is a huge variety of fish to choose from, a huge variety of fruit and veggies to choose from. Eating McDonald's at a calorie deficit may get you the weight you want but perhaps with clogged arteries, high BP, and low energy. For me the goal is always optimal health, energy, and body composition, not just the number on the scale. Eating healthy natural foods also improves my mood and skin, but that's just me. I don't believe in "a calorie is a calorie" and nor does my doctor. (I have been at a healthy weight for 2 years).

Funny, I went to the doctor the other day, and was told that my blood pressure is on the low side, and that I have a clean bill of health overall. So much for your claim. :huh:
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Might be sodium. During November my sodium intake was really high due to eating out and overeating in general (a serving of potato chips has 6-7% of your daily sodium which is reasonable, half a bag, though... not so much). Last week I dropped it (not even to the low sodium level a doctor would recommend, just to below 2500 mg/day) and I "lost" 9lbs in about 4 days.
  • AprilLizbethWire
    AprilLizbethWire Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing... for weeks! I would track my food and keep up my exercising, but my weight still fluctuated by one or two pounds. I got so tired of stepping on the scale one day and being down a pound and a half, just to "gain it back" over the next three days or so.

EDIT: I got really discouraged and wanted to give up. But I told myself "It's really impossible to continue to gain weight on a calorie deficient (unless there are health issues, but that would take weeks and months to diagnose, not just a few days and a few pounds). Just stick it out."

I started weighing myself every morning and putting it into myfitnesspal daily whether I gained or lost. It felt pretty crappy on the days I was up, but it helped me see over a few weeks that even with those fluctuations I was actually losing weight.

Like, I lost a pound and a half, gained a pound back, then lost another pound and a half all in a week. That's still a total of two pounds a week! Looking at it like that helped me quite a bit.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck, but weight loss isn't really about an immediate goal. It's really hard to see the scale going up instead of going down. It took me about 4 or 5 weeks to start really feeling better, and I still don't feel like I LOOK much better, but my attitude towards food and my body is completely different than when I first started.

Keep it up!!