How much do you tip your garbageman?

Options

Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    When i was a kid my folks would always leave a 6 pack of budweiser out for them around christmas time.
  • mayaocean
    mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    When i was a kid my folks would always leave a 6 pack of budweiser out for them around christmas time.

But they're not allowed to drink on the job?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    you tip them? what's next the postman, your nurse, the meter reader? No, I pay you $60 a month dump it and move on.

$60 a month for trash service? That's insane!! I think mine is $46 per quarter including recycling. I'm in Georgia.

Heck yeah it is...we have a big dumpster since we are so rural in Cali
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Tip the garbo? What the hell for? That's their JOB that they get paid to do. Nobody tips me for keeping them employed. The fact I own my own home means that I pay for the garbage to be collected. They do a crap job at it as well.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I leave a 12 pack at Christmas every year...they love me...and also when I want them to take my yard waste without making me pay extra every summer...
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

But they're not allowed to drink on the job?

no, no one said they were
  • fulleroaks
    Options
    None.

Our garbage pick-up is automated now. A mechanical arm comes out of the truck to pick up the garbage can. The driver doesn't need to get out of the truck.

My husband's church mails him a letter & envelope (also sent to every other member of the congregation), requesting tips for all of the church office staff. I think that's a bit much.
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'd say 30 degrees. 45 degrees if they did a really good job.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    My garbage service is about $50 a month including yard waste and recycling. My tip for them is that I have to pay for weekly service but only put garbage out twice a month, so they're only doing half the work. lol

But seriously...I had no idea that anyone tips their garbage men. Around here, at least, they're union guys and get paid well so it never occurred to me.
  • charliex2202
    charliex2202 Posts: 4,281 Member
    Options
    I give him the garbage! is that not enough? lol
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Always tip your mailman and your garbage collector.

I live in an apartment complex... so I won't tip our garbage company (but normally you would put $20 in an envelope and stick it to the lid)... you'll never have tipped over garbage cans in the road after that.

But i will tip our postal worker. The guy has gone so far as to give us his home number and texts us to let us know if we have a package that too large to fit.

here is a nice guide to appropriate tipping during the holiday season.

http://www.mannersmentor.com/social-situations/simple-guide-to-christmas-tipping
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I throw out some good crap once in a while!!!!! But seriously my uncle is a garbage man and I wouldn't tip that @$$hole a penny. :laugh:
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    do you need to tip them??????

Yes, they do hard work and deserve it more than people who carry around food in climate controlled environments.

Yes, their work is hard, and they paid well by their employer.

Serving is more than carrying around food in a climate controlled environment. Yes, the dining room is comfortable, but kitchens are hot. Servers do spend a lot of time running around in kitchens, on their feet for hours, multitasking in a variety of ways, continually making people happy... An excellent server doesn't simply take your order and bring it to you; they should anticipate your needs and provide an experience that leaves you happy. Sadly, I find excellent service becoming more and more rare... if you've never had excellent service, how unfortunate for you. However, I feel even worse for those who've had the "pleasure" of taking care of you.

I have to wonder how long you would have lasted in my restaurant. My best servers routinely made 25%+ because they were amazing. They were amazing because I trained them to be, and they realized the killer money they could make by doing more than just taking and order and bringing it to a table.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    When I pay the water bill, I am also paying for the garabgeman's salary. Our waste management is run by the city and city EE's do not accept tips.....or shouldn't. I would never even think to tip the garbageman.....
  • indunna
    indunna Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I think it is a regional thing. I have lived in Utah, Texas, and Virginia. Never heard of tipping the garbage guys or the mailman until I moved to New York. $20 per guy seems to be the minimum expected where I live. So that's $60 for the garbage guys and $20 for the mail guy.
  • mayaocean
    mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Yes, they do hard work and deserve it more than people who carry around food in climate controlled environments.

Serving is more than carrying around food in a climate controlled environment. Yes, the dining room is comfortable, but kitchens are hot. Servers do spend a lot of time running around in kitchens, on their feet for hours, multitasking in a variety of ways, continually making people happy... An excellent server doesn't simply take your order and bring it to you; they should anticipate your needs and provide an experience that leaves you happy. Sadly, I find excellent service becoming more and more rare... if you've never had excellent service, how unfortunate for you. However, I feel even worse for those who've had the "pleasure" of taking care of you.

I have to wonder how long you would have lasted in my restaurant. My best servers routinely made 25%+ because they were amazing. They were amazing because I trained them to be, and they realized the killer money they could make by doing more than just taking and order and bringing it to a table.

I live in Canada and here its -40 almost year round. So would you like to argue that working in a restaurant is harder than lugging garbage around at odd hours in the morning in freezing weather?

Servers get paid almost close to minimum wage (which is $10.75), plus all of the tips they make... in the end they end up making a lot of money. It's not like they're exactly living below the poverty line.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    Options
    When I pay the water bill, I am also paying for the garabgeman's salary. Our waste management is run by the city and city EE's do not accept tips.....or shouldn't. I would never even think to tip the garbageman.....

Right? Our garbage is picked up by the city; last week they didn't empty our can because it was "too heavy". It was too heavy because they broke the lid off it, and we had a windy/rainy day and the garbage got wet. They came back a few days later after my calling about it, to tell us why it wasn't taken, and my husband helped them remove the individual bags from the can... yeah, like THAT'S getting a tip. Pansies.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I don't tip and I don't know anyone who does. The only time I would consider it is if I left out a ton of trash like I see happen when someone is moving or if I was throwing away something odd like a chair or something but honestly the early risers that roam the neighborhoods take anything salvageable in my area so it's a non issue.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    Options

I live in Canada and here its -40 almost year round. So would you like to argue that working in a restaurant is harder than lugging garbage around at odd hours in the morning in freezing weather?

Servers get paid almost close to minimum wage (which is $10.75), plus all of the tips they make... in the end they end up making a lot of money. It's not like they're exactly living below the poverty line.

In NY, the server minimum is 4.60. We paid our servers an even $5. And as I already said, garbage collectors are compensated well by their employer. And yes, servers do make a lot of money. I never claimed otherwise Those who are good at what they do make a very good living. Those who are not, well, they don't do so well. My point was that serving is more than bringing food to a table. Try it sometime. You might like it :) It's a lot more fun than a lot of jobs, if you have the personality for it.

ETA: Please note, my original response was not saying one job is harder than the other, it was to correct your [wrong] assumptions about waiting tables.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I tip servers because they need tips to get anywhere near a decent wage. I also consider tipping for service that's above and beyond what can be expected by contract.

I find it disingenuous that the week before Christmas suddenly my garbage can is run all the up the driveway to the garage door, when the rest of the year it's left by the curb. Sure, if you go above and beyond all year, it might earn you a tip. If you do it one day a year in anticipation of getting a tip for it, when the rest of the year I typically have to retrieve a couple of pieces of stray garbage from my yard every other week, then forget it.

According to this site - http://garbagemansalary.net/MO/Lake-Saint-Louis/salary/Garbage-Man-Salary - local garbage men earn an astonishing $46k to $66k a year. Yeah, really not tipping someone who earns that much for collecting garbage. Sorry.

Edited to add - the garbage trucks around here have arms designed to pick up and empty our trash cans into the truck. So these guys aren't even muscling heavy stuff into the truck. They only ever need to get out of the truck for awkward loads.