Uncontrollable hunger from running

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I find I have less of an appetite on days I run than on rest days. I wear a heart rate monitor and calculate my calorie burns using the shapesense.com calculator. I calculate my gross, and then my net. And eat it ALL back. I am leaning up very nicely. I also do kettlebells and eat all those calories back too. I find that hitting my protein macros is essential for satiety and you might want to set your carbs to 40% because you need more if you are a runner. I also do a refeed once a week where I eat double my carbs. It's been working for me. :smile:
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Also, quick question...I run early mornings, on an empty stomach. Is that a good practice? Or should I eat something before I run?

I literally wake up, get dressed and go off for a run...so I guess cooking up something to eat is not really my thing, but if it helps my running, I'm open to it.

Do let me know, please!

Thanks!

Whatever works for you is the right thing to do. No problems with running on an empty stomach.
  • Thank you!
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking at least a full liter of water during your workout. Sometimes dehydration is disguised as hunger. Also make sure you are eating plenty of protein. A protein shake before your run and another after your run ... along with more water ... before eating anything else ... may help significantly. With this regime, you are actually fueling/refueling your body when it needs the energy the most. I actually have less of an appetite after my big workout days, and I have lost 25 lbs so far in the process.
  • mamacoates
    Options
    It has been proven that drinking water does nothing to satisfy hunger. It could be a placebo effect. Liquids leave your stomach very fast..

Drinking water replaces fluids lost, which counter-acts dehydration. Dehydration can disguise itself as hunger. Drinking water counter-acts that symptomology. If it is true hunger, you would still be able to tell about a 1/2 hour after replenishing your fluids.
  • mamacoates
    Options
    I have the exact same problem! and it is not even like I run too much; I run about 15 minutes at a stretch, and that is all I can do as of now. I run early mornings, and the entire day I am constantly hungry. If I've had lunch at 1, I get hungry again by 3. As a result I end up eating all the time and I'm sure I've gained some weight instead of losing it! I'm apprehensive about actually checking my weight now!

Also, quick question...I run early mornings, on an empty stomach. Is that a good practice? Or should I eat something before I run?

I literally wake up, get dressed and go off for a run...so I guess cooking up something to eat is not really my thing, but if it helps my running, I'm open to it.

Do let me know, please!

Thanks!

Rimsie - since you talk about being so hungry all day long and you run on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, I would suggest a light protein/carb meal before your run so your body has some fuel. Protein will keep you feeling full longer and carbs will give your body quick fuel for your workout after having fasted all night during your sleep. You shouldn't feel so hungry all day long with such a short exercise session.

BTW: You don't have to spend time cooking anything in the morning if you don't have the time to spare. Try a protein shake before you hit the road, or fruit and cheese, or toast with peanut butter. And lots of water throughout the day. At least 3 liters.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking at least a full liter of water during your workout. Sometimes dehydration is disguised as hunger. Also make sure you are eating plenty of protein. A protein shake before your run and another after your run ... along with more water ... before eating anything else ... may help significantly. With this regime, you are actually fueling/refueling your body when it needs the energy the most. I actually have less of an appetite after my big workout days, and I have lost 25 lbs so far in the process.

It's not necessary to drink a protein shake before a run, and drink a liter of water during the run. I wouldn't advise a shake at all. If you want something in your stomach, peanut butter toast has always been my first choice. I can't even imagine what it would be like to run with a protein shake plus a liter of water in my stomach. :sick:
  • mamacoates
    Options

It's not necessary to drink a protein shake before a run, and drink a liter of water during the run. I wouldn't advise a shake at all. If you want something in your stomach, peanut butter toast has always been my first choice. I can't even imagine what it would be like to run with a protein shake plus a liter of water in my stomach. :sick:

I can consume 20g protein in less than 4 oz of water so not filling - just fuel. Peanut butter toast is great too and one of my faves if I am leaving from my home ... it's just not something I can through in my gym bag and sit in my trunk all day. :wink: My point is, find something small, something easy - combo of carbs and protein to fuel the workout and that may help OP with the uncontrollable hunger afterward.

As far as water consumption, when I sweat, I can easily down a liter of water in a 60 minute trek ... maybe not so much now that it is so cold out, but if the OP is not drinking water, mild dehydration could be partly causing the sensations after the run ...
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I never eat or drink anything during my runs (6-9 miles). I drink a bit of water before and a bunch afterwards.

The only time I have drank anything during running was marathon training and only when I run 10 miles or more.
  • pennybarrett
    Options
    Hi. Last year I trained for "round the Bays", an 8 kilometer run in Auckland, New Zealand and also for a half marathon. I had the opposite happen to me. I found that I became more aware of how my body felt when I ate different foods and the food I had always craved, when not exercising, was not what my body craved when running. I found that I craved more fruit, veges and high protein foods and less of the carbs. Once I stopped running the cravings came for the carbs. I think when we run our body knows what we need to keep healthy. Whereas when we are not running our mind takes over and we start craving bad foods. As long as you are eating healthy and following what your body craves I think you are ok. Especially if its healthy food you are craving. Your body knows what it needs. Also drink lots of water. Sometimes, we end up dehydrating and then find that we think the body cues are for food when what our body is really wanting is liquid.
  • pennybarrett
    Options
    HI. Love the icon of the frog and measurement tape. Where do I get this on myfitnesspal?
  • jennygeo1
    jennygeo1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm not very hungry after my long run... I eat well afterwards. The day after, however, i crave SUGAR. Like... a LOT. I don't even like sweets. I've tried curbing it with eating fruits... or carbs like potatoes or some rye toast or something.. no. Protein shake with berries and yogurt... no. low carb high protein... NO.

Don't get it. But i turn into a BEAST!
  • melissaschubel
    melissaschubel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Still make good food choices and I am confident you will still lose fat. Maybe run harder not longer.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Teenage young women athletes have different caloric needs. Your ticker says you don't have much to lose. Are you on maintenance? What are your goals, trying to get stronger, cardio-fit? Eat a protein-based snack within 20-30 min after your run. That should help you from eating the fridge later.

Just to share, am not a runner (running hurts!). But am an avid cyclist. Cycling burns high calories and yes I will eat the fridge if I do not get in a pure protein snack at some point (mid-ride or right after.) On days I plan to ride more than 70-80 min, I will eat 1/2 a protein bar at the 1200 cal burn mark. On days pushing 50 mi where am burning close to 4,000 cals, I'll eat the whole protein bar and then "real food" lunch 3/4-way into the ride. I do wear a decent HRM/chest strap so I don't get caught in a massive energy-drop from too few calories. (It happened just 1 time...thought I could "ride thru it"....never happened again!)

And yes I know running is different than cycling. Bottom line is tho you are burning high calories. Feed your body what it needs.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    This thread made me think of.......

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

(it'll take a few minutes but runners will get it)

:laugh: I just read that, it is excellent!

Makes perfect sense! :laugh:
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I always eat before I run in the morning, but I have to leave at least 30 minutes between eating and running. Generally, it's better practice to eat at least a little something prior to running. And, within 30 minutes of your run, eat something that has carbs and protein for muscle recovery. It helps fight the inflammation that causes those legs to be sore afterwards. Maybe try a breakfast bar or string cheese if you're not up for cooking. Something quick to give your body fuel. A car can't run on empty - neither can we!

Wrong ... If your not hungry or light headed while running, then eating breakfast beforehand is unnecessary ..
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I guess I should clarify...
    Yes, I do typically eat a little something before I run, but I make it a priority to eat something if I run long, generally over 5 miles or so. But, yes, it helps me run, especially in the morning, because I'm usually starving when I get up!
    If I'm running any other time of day, it depends more on how much I've eaten throughout the day.
    But, different strokes for different folks. It's up to you.

TigerBite - please don't tell me I'm wrong when the general concept is correct.
    I always eat before I run in the morning, but I have to leave at least 30 minutes between eating and running. Generally, it's better practice to eat at least a little something prior to running. And, within 30 minutes of your run, eat something that has carbs and protein for muscle recovery. It helps fight the inflammation that causes those legs to be sore afterwards. Maybe try a breakfast bar or string cheese if you're not up for cooking. Something quick to give your body fuel. A car can't run on empty - neither can we!

Wrong ... If your not hungry or light headed while running, then eating breakfast beforehand is unnecessary ..
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    This thread made me think of.......

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

(it'll take a few minutes but runners will get it)

This is the best thing I've read in a long time...priceless!:happy: :happy:
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I always do the "drink more water first". Also, after a snack or meal , I'll drink more water and wait an hour to see if it is real hunger. I will also check my macros. Generally I am out of balance if I get that constant hunger thing.

THIS!
  • itsmandible
    itsmandible Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Running is not good for weight loss. I have a much harder time losing body fat when my mileage is up than when I'm barely running at all. When you're running you have to fuel the running. The body's acceptable calorie deficit seems to be smaller. Eat the calories you burn from running and create your deficit from your NEAT.

So my advice is eat all your exercise calories when you're running. At least BMR + exercise calories daily.
    I have experienced the opposite. Running has helped me lose, helped me out of plateaus, and is great cardio for a healthy heart.

THIS. Running has increased my overall fitness, toned my legs incredibly and has totally been blasting my fat. I think it depends on each person personally but it has worked miracles for me and it's way more enjoyable than slogging away on a machine for ages to get the same calorie burn!