Am i doing enough at the gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    to actually build muscle you need to add more reps, as a previous poster said time under tension is key. try lengthening the time you spend on the eccentric portions of the lift, like a 1 up 4 down count.

ahh ok, i understand that. Thanks dude :)
  • mcouey84
    mcouey84 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    DannehBoyy - try reversing your workout. It's the simplest thing you can do since you already have an established routine (I know you said not strict, but you have an idea of what you're gonna do each time you go to the gym). This way, you have more energy for the exercises you might typically leave til last! If you can get more reps/weight out of those, you might find a renewed interest!
    Another option would be to ditch your first exercise and replace it with something new. Most folks (myself included) will start their workouts with something they're comfortable with - scrap it for an exercise you've never tried before! I used to pick up ideas from Men's Muscle & Fitness...any issue, you can find something in there that's featured with a detailed how-to and whatnot. I found that breaking out of my comfort zone helped me to have a more open mind in the gym.

Hope it helps!
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Are you progressively upping your weights.

Yeah i am. I do mainly body weight exercises though, but if i feel i can go heavier...i will up the weight :)

So are you doing body weight exercises or lifting heavy?? If you are only doing body weight, sounds like you have outgrown your routine which is why you are looking for something more intense ... There are a lot of people on this site who can give you great advise on putting together a kick-your-arsh weight program that will get results without feeling "destroyed" every day. Also try doing some research of your own on the Bodybuilding.com website.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way..I wanted to start cutting up and getting shred instead of bulk so i started doing more sets and reps like 5 sets 12-15 reps for couple weeks and then I recently swtiched back to 3 sets of 10 reps and now i feel like I am cutting a bunch out and not pushing as hard yet I am going heavyier. I went back to doing 3 sets of 10 cause everyone kept telling me diet is the key.

That's what i am currently trying to do dude. I just wanna lower my body fat % and get shredded. I've heard the best way to do so is to lift as heavy as possible and stick to around 5 reps and 5 sets. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I've been going doing, and it doesn't seem to leave my muscles feeling drained as much as when i did more reps with less weight.

Your post is getting very confusing. You state elsewhere that you are progressively upping your weights, but that you mainly do body weight exercises, but if you feel you can go heavier...you will up the weight. Your original post says you are doing reps until you can't do anymore. Now above you are saying you are doing 5 sets of 5 reps ... Sounds like you need to figure out what you are doing first ... then sit down with someone who knows what THEY are doing and write up a plan to consistently push yourself with heavier weight and a more effective combination of exercises. Did I suggest doing some of your own research on Bodybuilding.com?
  • Swehl
    Swehl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Have you tried throwing in 30-60mins of cardio on days that you don't feel "destroyed?"
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Brah, you gotta add in Zumba.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^thish575C30E6