Doctor's Prescribed Weight Loss Program....

Options
Hi Friends. My name is Barb. I have switched to an internal medicine doctor whose specialty is weight loss. She has in no way criticize me about my weight but with genuine concern as I am 50 and on my way to diabetes if I don't make changes now. I am known to buy a half sheet cake and eat on it for dinner the whole week. Moods up and down and tired all the time and that's just part of my symptoms. Today my doctor has me on the Paleo diet focusing on vegetables and protein. To start she has my goals at 1100 calories and 30 carbs a day. I know. But this is temporary. My Fitness pal is helping me track all my eating and exercise to help keep me on track. I can't hit my target spot on, but I am close. And I have an awareness. Like how many calories are in coffee creamer, avocados, cheese! Crazy! In one month, I have lost 10 pounds. In the past, it has taken me 6 months to lose that weight doing water aerobics three times a week! I have reintroduced water aerobics and vigorous 30 minute walking at lunch. Now my doctor wants me to begin strength training twice a week. This is a HUGE change for me but I have made up my mind to do this. It is my life. I have my first grandbaby on the way--I am doing it for her...and my daughter...and my kitties...and ;) I also want to be well enough to work. Eating nothing but carbs had left me so tired I couldn't wake up for work and on the weekends I would just sleep and get depressed. It was a horrible cycle and the sugar cravings. Ah, sugar cravings. My doctor has me on Phentermine to stop the sugar cravings and Metformin to level out my blood sugar so it doesn't spike. Additionally, I am a TOPS (Take pounds off sensibly) group member and force myself to go to group and get weighed weekly--good support and keeps me aware. I weight 260 pounds today and my goal 150 pounds that I haven't seen since 2000. I am happy to share my experience and introduce myself to my new famly.

Replies

• aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    - Learn to love chicken...and fish...and pork...and meat in general. Meat is awesome stuff.
    - Carb cravings? Eat a greek yogurt. They come in random cake flavors
    - Broccoli...love it like chicken. Broccoli and chicken are basically "the path to enlightenment" for a bunch of folks.
    - Try different recipes. You get bored with the same old same old.

Fitness
    - Starting Strength (Weightlifting Program)
    - Stronglifts (Weightlifting Program)
    - Fitocracy (for tracking)
    - BeFit (Youtube Channel if you can't get to a gym)

Just ask if you need more information. There is a bunch of it.
  • beearrry
    Options
    Wow! Great info--much appreciated!!! :)
  • carrie0414
    Options
    Where do you get receipes at, that are good
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your journey.

I am Robin, am around your age, am also relatively low carb (anything under 150g a day is low carb it seems) and also have ***** cats.

If you're after recipes I like this site - http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/recipes/

OMG the site edited my post to delete the other word beginning with p that also describes kitty cats - crikey!
  • jazi719
    jazi719 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Phentermine? It's addicting. The weight usually comes back on when you get off of it.

Paleo diet is great though.

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • Tykk
    Tykk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a great doctor. You may choose to stick with paleo indefinitely, but if you choose, you should be able to slowly reintroduce some carbs over time while monitoring which forms trigger cravings. Well done so far!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Welcome - you have a great path and help!!!!
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a plan in place and are following your doctors recommendations. I wish you the best of luck and success! :flowerforyou:
  • katiegirl1962
    Options
    All the best to you Barb!!! May we all stay on the path to our desired journey!!!! :happy:
  • beearrry
    Options
    Online.
  • beearrry
    Options
    So nice to meet you! Thank you so much for the website. I will try it. I am so happy you love kitties too!! Hugs for both of us!! Keep up the great work! :)
  • beearrry
    Options
    thank you so much! :)
  • suprzonic
    suprzonic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hello! Welcome - congratulations on your loss so far. You'll do great.

This link helped me - it might give you some comfort too:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

Best of luck!