Trying to figure out the culprit

Options
2»

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    A pound of muscle and a pound of fat walked into a bar...
  • kimf79
    kimf79 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Did you go up gradually from the 1200 to 1500? Or just jump that 300 up suddenly. While 1500 would more than likely still be a deficit for you, if you've been eating very low calorie for a long time (you said you've been eating 1200 for a year or more) it can be a bit of a shock to the system, and add in those splurges and you might have gained a little because your body got very efficient at dealing with the low calorie intake, so it might be a little gain before you start losing again.

I would try to make sure you're logging accurately still, and give it a bit more time. Weigh yourself if you need to and work out how much you've gained (if you have) and go from there.

Where are you feeling the gain most?

Yes I went up to the 1500 suddenly. But to be honest for awhile now I had been having a hard time sticking to the 1200 so I had been eating somewhat more than that for awhile. Noticing that I just decided lets do the TDEE-20% method, because I was feeling like a failure going over my 1200 calories everyday - even though I know this is a low calorie daily intake. I figured let me just up my calories so I can start succeeding again.

I feel like the possible weight gain is in the belly/waist, butt and thigh area.

Yes I will keep trying to log accurately and do my best for myself to cut out the splurges.
  • kimf79
    kimf79 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that Pilates would be worth a try again. Weight bearing exercise builds muscle, and as above, the greater ratio of muscle to fat you have, the better.

Yes makes sense. I might give that a go! thanks!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    If you've increased suddenly but still under maintenance, it's glycogen/water weight:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/993576-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut