Protein, Fat, Carbs, Sugar, etc..

Options
Hi all :)
I'm an 18 year old girl and I've been on MFP for just over a month now. My main aim is to get healthy as I got really sick in September and can't exercise much until Feb, although I do a little here and there.
My question is, next to the calorie amounts I have fat, protein, carbs, sodium and sugar. My sugar amount is always high because I eat a lot of fruit so I was wondering if I should choose different focus point. What should I be tracking the most?

Replies

• padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Take sugar off your home screen. Program doesnt differentiate between process sugar, and natural sugar. Just watch your calories. The old reason you should really track your sugar is if you have insulin issues. Watch you Proteins, Fats and Carbs.
  • ShanStaR1908
    Options
    Yes I got told that but I want to replace it with something, what should it be?
  • 1Lightstep
    1Lightstep Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My focus is on calories first and fat second. They seem to go hand in hand for weight loss. A lot of high fat items are high in calories too, so this works for me. By eating lower fat items, it helps to keep my calories down.
  • ShanStaR1908
    Options
    I'm not asking for weightloss, I just want to know in terms of health what to focus on in replace of my sugar goal.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm not asking for weightloss, I just want to know in terms of health what to focus on in replace of my sugar goal.

Fibre or sodium perhaps? It depends on you really (and your own particular health concerns) but be aware that if you go for the more unusual options outside of those commonly found on labelling then the accuracy of the food items in the database makes the numbers very dubious.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Yes I got told that but I want to replace it with something, what should it be?
    Fiber is a good choice for replacement, since it's instrumental in helping regulate your digestive system, which in turn can help minimize large fluctuations in weight based on problems like constipation. Sodium was the bad guy for a long while when I grew up, but from what I've read, some of the 'studies' I was taught when younger were less than scientific; it does contribute to water retention, which can potentially lead to more inaccuracy on the scales.
  • ShanStaR1908
    Options
    My sodium levels are fine, I usually have quite a lot to spare actually. I was in hospital recently and the dietician told me I need more salt which my parents found strange. But anyway, thanks, I'll give fibre a go and see. :) x
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I replaced mine with fiber. Maintaining a healthy amount keeps you regular, lowers your risk of heart disease and foods higher in fiber help you stay fuller longer. I aim for at 25 grams a day, but no less than 15 grams.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Track Protein , carbs , fats and fiber/sodium
  • ShanStaR1908
    Options
    I replaced mine with fiber. Maintaining a healthy amount keeps you regular, lowers your risk of heart disease and foods higher in fiber help you stay fuller longer. I aim for at 25 grams a day, but no less than 15 grams.

Great, I track sodium, fat, protein, fibre and carbs now. What happens if I go over the set amount or have too much?
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

Great, I track sodium, fat, protein, fibre and carbs now. What happens if I go over the set amount or have too much?
    Going over on any one day is no big deal...think of it as though you just want it to average out at the end of a week and be in the right range. (Protein and fiber can be above, consistently with no issues, unless you're REALLY crazy over .)
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Going over on any one day is no big deal...think of it as though you just want it to average out at the end of a week and be in the right range. (Protein and fiber can be above, consistently with no issues, unless you're REALLY crazy over .)
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Options
    t
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Options
    I'm an 18 year old girl and I've been on MFP for just over a month now. My main aim is to get healthy as I got really sick in September and can't exercise much until Feb, although I do a little here and there.
    My question is, next to the calorie amounts I have fat, protein, carbs, sodium and sugar. My sugar amount is always high because I eat a lot of fruit so I was wondering if I should choose different focus point. What should I be tracking the most?

A calorie of one food is NOT the same as a calories of another. Get your sugar down to 10 percent and you WILL see and feel immediate results.
  • ShanStaR1908
    Options
    Okay good because I see now that I'm about 6-8 over fibre everyday. I sometimes go over protein too but I've never worried about that too much. Fat, Carbs, Sodium and my calories are usually just under the set goal.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

A calorie of one food is NOT the same as a calories of another. Get your sugar down to 10 percent and you WILL see and feel immediate results.

Ho hum.
    Still not learned how to quote or give any "evidence" to support your peculiar views?
  • ShanStaR1908
    Options

I'm not sure what you mean by 10 percent, I just go according to the amounts MFP set based on my age, weight and whatever else it asked for.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Options

I'm not sure what you mean by 10 percent, I just go according to the amounts MFP set based on my age, weight and whatever else it asked for.

You should not consume more than 30 grams of sugar, all sugar. Your protein, fat and Carbs need to be set based on several different factors that are specific to you. If you need help, you can message me

A CALORIE OF ONE FOOD IS NOT THE SAME AS ANOTHER FOOD BECAUSE:

Carbohydrates contain glucose, which every cell in your body uses for energy. Fructose which is in sugar and sugar is added to most processed foods (hidden) is processed in the liver and is converted to fat and drives diabetes and a whole host of chronic diseases! Fructose (sugar) is extremely DANGEROUS and will prevent you for losing weight and prevent you from maintaining desired weight.

Read more: http://www.rd.com/slideshows/reasons-why-all-calories-are-not-the-same/#ixzz2nFJw6m6M
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Options
    My sodium levels are fine, I usually have quite a lot to spare actually. I was in hospital recently and the dietician told me I need more salt which my parents found strange. But anyway, thanks, I'll give fibre a go and see. :) x

REAL salt is healthy
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

That's probably best.