Not Knowing How Many Calories?

Options
Okay so I just had some homemade chicken curry (boneless, without sauce) and white basmati rice.
I factored it in to be 200g of chicken and 250g of rice, this may seem like loads but I did not want to over underestimate.
Please help! :(

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe creater under your food tab.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Did you make it? Use the recipe maker. Otherwise, yeah, estimate (and don't forget the sauce).
  • AbidKhanFFI
    Options
    Nope parents made it... :/
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Find a recipe and use that. You're not going to get an accurate count, but you can at least see the ballpark. And overestimate. That's what I do anywy.
  • AbidKhanFFI
    Options
    Hmm yeah but I just overestimated it, but still feel so guilty
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    One meal isn't going to completely throw you. :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Was it yummy? no need to feel guilty.
  • AbidKhanFFI
    Options
    It was alright, but for 600+ calories I could of have ate so much better foods! :(
  • rduhlir
    Options
    600+ isn't that big of a meal really.
  • AbidKhanFFI
    Options
    If you visit my other thread I made you would understand a lot more on my situation.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1150037-am-i-consuming-right-amount-of-calories
  • rduhlir
    Options
    And I will repeat again, 600+ calories is not that big of a meal. Especially if you are trying to gain.
  • AbidKhanFFI
    Options
    But I am not sure if it actually was 600, for all I know it could have been so much more!
  • rduhlir
    Options
    It is just an estimate. Find something that is close to what you ate and log that. All of this is just estimates. A soda is only an estimate, an orange is only an estimate. And if it was higher calorie, and you are trying to gain then that is a bonus for you.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Nope parents made it... :/

You might ask for the recipe, then enter it in the recipe maker. Otherwise, just do you best to estimate. One meal won't throw you off too much.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    But I am not sure if it actually was 600, for all I know it could have been so much more!

You probably ate less than you think. Given your weight and height- I am going to guess that a 200gr serving of chicken is roughly equal to the size of your hand minus the thumb. I have big hands, I'd have to take it down to the second knuckle. 200g is a healthy amount- actually quite a large portion. You likely ate less.

Rice is a little more tricky. 250g sounds like a lot but its pretty modest when it comes to rice. Its my experience that people eat more rice than they think they do.

If you are feeling guilt for eating that much- it really is time to talk to a counsellor about a possible eating disorder. You already know that you need 2100 to maintain and yet you feel guilty for eating more than 1600 in a day? Men can be plagued with eating disorders too! Seek help. MFP is not the best place to do so- there are a LOT of negative and judgemental people who seem to think that being invisible behind the keyboard gives them license to be critical and say whatever they want. Its scary and uncomfortable to admit you need outside help, but its worth it. There should be local organizations where you can go for some help.
  • AbidKhanFFI
    Options
    Highly doubt they care about recipe and weigh the stuff out! :p
    and yep but today I will probably eat like a small snack to finish the day off
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Either way there is no reason to be getting so worked up over one meal