Funny "tricks" YOU have found to speed/help your weightloss

Options

Replies

• maffff
    maffff Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If I plateau for a week or two and I just can't budge the scales I find a day or two of eating at maintainance or over my TDEE before reverting to my target here seems to kick start my metabolism.

It's probably my mind playing tricks on me. But it works for me.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    This thread should go in the Chit-chat, Fun & Games forum.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I tend to weigh a bit less 2 days after what I call a re-feed day (approx 3000 calories)
    Don't want to go into too much detail, but I think the extra fibre and fat I consume seems to 'clear me out'!

Also I weigh less just after I have ovulated, for about 4 days then it fluctuates upwards again. The scale only shows a confirmed loss once a month (not taking into account normal 1-2 lb fluctuations) and it is always during that window of 4 days. I only record my weight once a month for this reason.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    My trick is to eat less calories than I burn.

Yep.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    If I plateau for a week or two and I just can't budge the scales I find a day or two of eating at maintainance or over my TDEE before reverting to my target here seems to kick start my metabolism.

It's probably my mind playing tricks on me. But it works for me.
    That happened to me, too. Two weeks of nothing (not really long enough to be a "plateau", but still), so I went up to maintenance because I was so close to goal and the last 3lbs just vanished within a couple of days. I'm guessing I was retaining water and the hydration from the food I ate flushed it out. I know those 3lbs weren't fat or LBM.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Wearing running shoes has helped me lose weight.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    This sounds nuts, I know. But I am becoming almost superstitious about my egg taco breakfasts. I fry one egg in canola spray with or without onions, bell pepper, etc (most commonly without) and eat it on a warmed flour tortilla (small fajita size Mama Lupe's) with 1/2 TBSP of Hidden Valley southwest chipotle dressing. I pair it with a cup of flavored coffee with a splash of milk.

When I eat any other breakfast...scrambled eggs with veggies or veggie sausage, toast, donuts, oatmeal...my weight seems to stall. When I go back to the egg tacos, I am back on track. lol

I know there are a billion other factors that probably have way more impact on my weight loss.

I do notice when I go over on sodium, which is rare, it really jacks w/ my body for 2-4 days causing water retention and it only seems to worsen if I drink more water trying to compensate for that. So I'm just careful w/ sodium.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    O.k. most of us know about BMR and TDEE and the idea of "calories in, calories out." But while we may believe all that is the total story, the thing is that we, as individuals, often OBSERVE that other things can affect weight loss/weight gain a bit also; sluggish digestion and constipation; stress/cortisol release; things you think have affected your metabolism, eating smaller meals, eating bigger meals, eating spicy meals, doing yoga instead of 30 day shred, doing 30 day shred instead of yoga, whatever. For instance, I don't know why, but when I STOPPED exercising for a month, I lost weight more quickly. This doesn't fit the theories, but I cannot deny that it happened. Other people may say "I increased my protein," or "I stood on my head for an hour a day," or "I only eat pineapple before 1:33 p.m. on even days of the month." I don't care how crazy it is, tell me your story, and how much effect it had for you.

I want to hear your PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, not anything quoted from a website, nothing from an angry blog rant, I don't need any more information about TDEE! I've already read all that stuff. But tell me some good old "tricks" that YOU stand by for YOUR weight loss. I want some 100% completely UNSCIENTIFIC, scientifically UNDOCUMENTED "anecdotes" as to things YOU found helped your weight loss. They probably won't work for the next guy, but I wanna hear 'em. Please share.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

And if you actually, I don't know focused on body comp vs a number on the scale, then maybe you'd see how silly this is

Desperately wants to be "in" on what this means?? LOL
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I spend more time focused on my diet and exercise and less time making chit chat posts.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    O.k. most of us know about BMR and TDEE and the idea of "calories in, calories out." But while we may believe all that is the total story, the thing is that we, as individuals, often OBSERVE that other things can affect weight loss/weight gain a bit also; sluggish digestion and constipation; stress/cortisol release; things you think have affected your metabolism, eating smaller meals, eating bigger meals, eating spicy meals, doing yoga instead of 30 day shred, doing 30 day shred instead of yoga, whatever. For instance, I don't know why, but when I STOPPED exercising for a month, I lost weight more quickly. This doesn't fit the theories, but I cannot deny that it happened. Other people may say "I increased my protein," or "I stood on my head for an hour a day," or "I only eat pineapple before 1:33 p.m. on even days of the month." I don't care how crazy it is, tell me your story, and how much effect it had for you.

I want to hear your PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, not anything quoted from a website, nothing from an angry blog rant, I don't need any more information about TDEE! I've already read all that stuff. But tell me some good old "tricks" that YOU stand by for YOUR weight loss. I want some 100% completely UNSCIENTIFIC, scientifically UNDOCUMENTED "anecdotes" as to things YOU found helped your weight loss. They probably won't work for the next guy, but I wanna hear 'em. Please share.

And if you actually, I don't know focused on body comp vs a number on the scale, then maybe you'd see how silly this is

I did A and then B happened. So A caused B.

Basically, correlation = causation. A logical fallacy.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

I did A and then B happened. So A caused B.

Basically, correlation = causation. A logical fallacy.

Thank you thank you!
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    The best "trick" I have learned is to keep changing and don't try to figure it out.

It's not simple calories in vs calories out because one high calorie day can cause a loss and drinking a zero calorie Diet Pepsi can cause a 2 lb gain in water retention.

I work out every day more for my mental health than physical health.

A good, hard weight training session that leaves you sore will also give you with a short term gain on the scale because sore muscles also retain water.

Water, water, water!!

And lastly, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. When a loss happens even after you have been eating terriblely, just take it and be thankful.
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I find that if I eat unhealthy for a day or 2 or 3..then go right back to eating healthy for awhile, I trick my body and see results. Any loss for me is better than no loss or a gain. :) Hope this helps
  • minimalistmom
    Options
    If I do cardio for 60+ minutes a day, I show very little loss. The whole time I trained for a half marathon, I only lost a pound here and there unlike when I trained for a 10K, I was dropping 2 lbs. or so a week.

You read about how people lose lots of weight loading up on protein or doing the Paleo Diet or how being vegan is good for you. None of that works for me. If I eat balanced with the occasional sweet treat, I lose 1-2 lbs. a week. I also listen to what my body wants to eat, not eat what's right in front of me. I don't care if I'm over or under my calories, I eat what the body wants when it wants to eat.
  • Omnidir
    Omnidir Posts: 10 Member
    Options

From Wikapedia:
    Post hoc ergo propter hoc, Latin for "after this, therefore because of this", is a logical fallacy (of the questionable cause variety) that states "Since event Y followed event X, event Y must have been caused by event X." It is often shortened to simply post hoc. It is subtly different from the fallacy cum hoc ergo propter hoc, in which two things or events occur simultaneously or the chronological ordering is insignificant or unknown, also referred to as false cause, coincidental correlation, or correlation not causation.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Well, not to sound like a complete psycho (partial, maybe), but I'd have to constantly think about things that royally pi$$ed me off while I was working out. I'd needed to be furious. It made my workouts a lot more intense and far longer when I was thinking about annihilating whatever happened to antagonize me that week.

That, and LCHF led to me taking in about 1,400 net calories/day, as opposed to the 2,800 I was doing when I was fat. Abraketosis, 60 lbs gone in less than six months.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Close my eyes and wish really hard....Nope didn't work, guess its back to the whole calorie in calorie out thing. Darn
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    The best "trick" I have learned is to keep changing and don't try to figure it out.

It's not simple calories in vs calories out because one high calorie day can cause a loss and drinking a zero calorie Diet Pepsi can cause a 2 lb gain in water retention.

A good, hard weight training session that leaves you sore will also give you with a short term gain on the scale because sore muscles also retain water.

Water, water, water!!

And lastly, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. When a loss happens even after you have been eating terriblely, just take it and be thankful.

:huh:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

Water, water, water!!

:huh:

Are you trying to lose water or trying to lose fat? Because if you're trying to lose fat, then it's completely calories in vs. calories out.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Bump