Do you weigh yourself before or after your workout?

Options
DO you weigh yourself before or after your workout? Which is the most accurate?

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Before. I can gain up to 3 lbs. after exercise. Really though, it is about consistency. You can weigh yourself after, then do that everyday. Weighing yourself is only good for comparing yourself to the previous number.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Both. Tracking exercise-induced weight loss can be a useful tool.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I weigh before and after, and only once a week. My weight on Saturday is my "weight" for the week.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing in the morning on Monday (before I step into the shower...). I haven't worked out then so I guess I weigh myself before?
    Just pick a time and stick to it. If you weigh yourself once a day, once a week, once a month it doesn't matter. For consistency sake just do it at the same time and wearing the same thing (or not wearing anything at all!)
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    As long as you're consistent, it doesn't make that much difference.
    I've always been told that it's best to weigh after a rest day, but I train 8-9 times a week and only have 1 rest day on Sundays. On Mondays I start work at 6am and weighing myself is not on my mind at 5am when I get up so I weigh myself on Fridays. It's not after a rest day, but it is consistently after a training day so my results will still be accurate.

Try weighing yourself before and after a workout on the same day. Would be interesting to see for yourself what impact training has on your body...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    As far as being "most accurate" is concerned, that's going to be more about consistency than anything else. Nobody weighs exactly XXX Lbs all of the time, so there's really no such thing as "most accurate" in RE to an exact number. You'll see this when you get to maintenance...you will have a range of weight, not a single and exact number because your weight is not static and your losses are not linear.

Consistency is the key to obtaining useful data.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Before. I guzzle tons of water when I workout (like 2-3 liters).
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing in the a.m. after I "do my business" and last thing at night before bed. I record my a.m. and p.m. weights every day in a one year plannerr. It helps me to recognize daily fluctuations and trends.
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Every Tuesday morning after my workout.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh myself first thing in the morning (1-2X week).
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Before...

...and more precisely, every morning before (and after) getting into the shower. (The after shower thing is because my weight fluctuates 2-3 pounds after my shower and I'm fascinated by it and can't explain it.)
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    both... i like to know how much i sweat!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    before. 1st thing in the morning. most accurate reading of the day.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Before...

...and more precisely, every morning before (and after) getting into the shower. (The after shower thing is because my weight fluctuates 2-3 pounds after my shower and I'm fascinated by it and can't explain it.)

which do you log?/ beleive?
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I weigh in-between my squat sets.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    both... i like to know how much i sweat!!

For sure. It's the quickest way to figure out how much you need to drink to properly rehydrate.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Before...

which do you log?/ beleive?

The one that's closest to my recent weight trend.
  • firebaughkn
    firebaughkn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Idk, I just weigh myself consistently. If you weigh yourself Friday night, weigh yourself every Friday night then. That way you get a more consistent weigh-in.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Before...

I do that too. I'm always heavier AFTER the shower (.5 to 1 pound). I blame the steam but I don't know if it's affecting ME, the scale's mechanisms, or both. hmmm
  • dextersgramps
    dextersgramps Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh on the same day every week and normally before I have any food or drink.Once in a while I will weigh at the gym before my workout just to see if Im up or down