When did it change for you?

Options
When did your workouts and eating healthy stop becoming something you dreaded (if you did) and start being something you looked forward to? Any specific thoughts, events, etc that helped you get to that point? :smile:

Replies

• bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I think it constantly changes-- but I remember when it used to feel like a chore and now its just how I live. I think it happened when I changed my thoughts-- that I felt like I was missing out on something. When I started seeing lots of progress, 25 lbs, 50 lbs, 100 lbs, getting below 200 lbs ,etc that it makes my motivation stronger. When my motivation is stronger i want to be healthier by picking better options to eat and workout more. The change with working out happened when I started to enjoy the workouts-- when i realized that I felt better each day by working out than not working out.

I got sick of being fat and I got sick of doing nothing about it.

good luck =)
  • PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It started when I had a deep "why". When it stopped being about wanting to look good and started being about the fact that I didn't want to die of a heart attack by the time I was 40 my whole life changed. I also actively began to change my mindset to veer away from thinking of healthy eating and exercise as a "diet" and started thinking of it as the building blocks to NOT dying by the time I was 40! LOL It's all about actively changing your mindset, if you consistently want to think of it as a chore, it'll be a chore. If you think of it in positive terms - things like "this will help me to reach my goal" or "eating right and exercise make me feel AWESOME" it'll stop being a chore.

And I also agree that the more you progress and the closer to your goals you reach the more benefits you'll see!

Feel free to friend me! :)
  • angelzprophecy
    Options
    when I started seeing results
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    When my blood test results were coming back with better numbers, I knew I was on to something. If I could keep tracking and exercising I could stay off the medications with all the awful side effects.
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    While it still can be difficult sometimes, I'll say it got easier when I started seeing some results, both on the scale and some non-scale ones too (like fitting better into clothes, fitting INTO old clothes or a smaller size, not having back & knee pain after exercise, and being able to do exercises I haven't been able to do in years).
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Somewhere down the line for me, I think it started to become habit (maybe 5-6 months in). With that being said, the first few months of eating as clean as possible and avoiding fast food, were the worst months of my life. But I've been at it for 3 years now (on and off) and my eating habits are better than I ever could have imagined.
    The gym has still been difficult for me. It's very hard to get back into the habit, and one missed day screws me all up. I love being in the gym, but because I attend school at night, I have to wake up at 5:00am and that's hard to get into the habit of doing. Keep on it and eventually it will be something you don't even think about. Another thing for me is, I don't crave the unhealthy foods as much. I don't drive by McDonalds or Taco Bell and think "OMG.... I MUST HAVE!" I also don't really crave anything super sugary anymore. I used to drink tea with 2 packets of sugar AND honey. Now, I enjoy it with no sugar at all (and you're talking to an ex-pepsiholic) ;)

Good luck! It will come naturally if you stick to it. :)
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    While it still can be difficult sometimes, I'll say it got easier when I started seeing some results, both on the scale and some non-scale ones too (like fitting better into clothes, fitting INTO old clothes or a smaller size, not having back & knee pain after exercise, and being able to do exercises I haven't been able to do in years).

Good point. I'd agree this helped. I started seeing the best results almost immediately after I started strength training. That helped to keep me on track. I also set SUPER small goals for myself and try to hit them every month! :)
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options

Good point. I'd agree this helped. I started seeing the best results almost immediately after I started strength training. That helped to keep me on track. I also set SUPER small goals for myself and try to hit them every month! :)

Good point from both of you. I have less back pain now that my back has muscles that are actually somewhat strong. I walk better which causes less knee pain in the long wrong. But, I also set small goals. I try to add on 5lbs when doing a workout such as leg lifts or shoulder press. It's only 5lbs but when I can do all my sets with the extra weight I feel really good about myself. I've also started to cut out the words "I can't" as much as possible. Instead of saying "I can't finish this last set", I say "I need to take the extra 5lbs off this last set" and still get it done. It's all in your mind. I didn't believe that at first, but I do now. Just try your best and when you think you have achieved all your goals, make a new one.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    For me it needs to be one of two things...either fun (outdoor sports like hiking, kayaking, bicycling, etc.), or I need to see real results (increased strength, stamina, etc.) I can do burpees now and they don't kill me, I can do real pushups, I ran a mile without stopping, my yoga is so much better now, grocery bags and kids are easier to lift...the list goes on! It took me months and months to get to this point though, because I babystepped into everything I am doing today (logging, macros, food choices, exercise).
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I found things I enjoyed, so now I look forward to it! -Volleyball (competitive), Running (never thought I would like), pushing myself

Also, I love to try new recipes, it's fun. Sometimes it's a flop and other times I find new regulars!