Am I working out for the wrong reasons?

So when I was in high school I was well liked never mr popular jock type. but was well liked even though I was shy and in special education I was normal never really got girls. Anyway I graduated high school in 2011 and I started working out in 2012 just started lifting weights this year and my transformation should be done June or July.

Well when I started this I did it because I wanted to impress people I went to high school with through Facebook and impress girls who would never talk to me in high school since I'm friends with a lot of people through HS.

Is there anything wrong with that doing it to impress people? I've made a complete 180 turn around with my health and my looks and studies.

But is it wrong to do it to impress others?

I'm a 20 year old guy and I was wanted to be the guy that was jacked with rippling muscles and that got any girl he wanted.

I

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    philosophy class is <
    that way. ethics is
    > over there

just work out
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    There are no "wrong" reasons. I have mine, you have yours and others will have theirs. Reasons are just reasons.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Meh, nothing wrong with wanting to impress people - everyone does. Also nothing wrong with seeing something you think is awesome (the ripped guy with all the girls), wanting it, and working hard to get it. If anything that's a good thing, right? As long as you don't take it too far - don't let your self esteem rely on the approval of others, and don't spend so much time trying to get one up on your HS peers that you miss out on living your own life.

Do make sure you mentally say "in your face" every time you see someone from HS that's doing worse than you. It's a great feeling, being smug. Just don't let people see otherwise they will think you're an *kitten* :tongue:
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Lots of people start to impress others. Many continue just because they like it.

As PPs said very well: no right or wrong reasons; just work out
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    People work out to be vain. Some want to look nice in clothes and some want to impress others.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Good to work out. But being muscular on its own isn't that big of a deal to people. Confidence, height, facial structure, financial success, humor etc overwhelm muscularity for attractiveness.

Don't get too caught up in expectations of fawning admirers.
  • knot_enough
    knot_enough Posts: 176 Member
    its alright to try to impress people. the only thing is that you cant impress them all nor can you control what they think.
  • Does it motivate you to push yourself to excel? If so than it is a fine reason. Shrug*
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the reason you have for starting, but I am willing to bet that the reasons you continue will be more about achieving your goals and being strong and healthy.
    Don't feel bad for wanting to look and feel better, but don't measure your success by what others think because you will be disappointed. Other people always disappoint.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    You have your goals for what ever reason- but don't think that you'll be able to get "any girl you want" unless you want the very shallow and slutty ;) If that's what you're after, just be sure to wrap it up and keep yourself safe!

Otherwise, you'll need to work on more than your body to get a quality lady... if that's what your after, or when you decide to find one. Quality women can get any guy they want, but they only want the quality guy who has the body, the intelligence, and the romance, in addition to what ever list of requirements we all have ;)

All that to say, do what you do, there is no guilt in the why as long as you're not hurting others...
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    No, it's not wrong to want to impress others. Whatever motivates you :) If it's looking great in pictures for social media sites... great! I mean, you're just 20yrs old!!
    Nevertheless, i hope that you're able to learn a lot from this journey and gain more confidence and learn to like yourself and not care what others think.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Just don't place your happiness on the altar of other people's approval. If you don't get the reaction you were expecting, don't let it discourage you. So -- no, it's fine to have those sorts of reasons, but I think it's healthy to make sure you are controlling your expectations and your reactions so that if you don't suddenly impress people you think you should be impressing you don't spiral into depression or rage or angst, etc.

Also, I think it's healthier to find motivation internally also, so you may start out with these external reasons but continue on because you just flat out love doing it and love the way it makes you look and feel :)
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    There are no "wrong" reasons. I have mine, you have yours and others will have theirs. Reasons are just reasons.

yep motivation and reasons change just keep going

50540473.png
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Nah man that's fine. Don't forget yourself as you do it, but of course it's alright.

The only thing I will say, is that you need to keep a healthy outlook about working out and yourself. I would hate for you to have the wind taken out of your sails just because at one point or another you didn't impress someone.

Just keep your head up, be smart, and stay safe.