Is fitbit worth getting?

Options
I know it tracks sleep etc. Mainly want to track my weight sessions and runs for calories burned? Is it accurate for that. Mainly so I don't over count them and I actually know my deficit??

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I know it tracks sleep etc. Mainly want to track my weight sessions and runs for calories burned? Is it accurate for that. Mainly so I don't over count them and I actually know my deficit??

Ummmm.....no (not for the reasons you stated).

HRMs are better for tracking runs.....weights.....extremely difficult to track.

A FitBit is a fancy pedometer. These are great for calculating your activity level....not workouts. Many people find a FitBit encourages them to move more....you wear a FitBit 24/7 then add more calories (net calories) for your runs.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I/ve never had one but there seems to be a post or two a day about their inaccuracy.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    A Fitbit is a fancy pedometer. It would be totally useless for strength training because it's tracking is step based. I have a Zip and it's not bad for running but it's still off from my HRM because it only knows how many steps you took in a certain time, not the intensity of your run.

Before you ask the next question, no a HRM will not give you calorie burn for strength training. The algorithms of HRM's are set for steady state cardio, like running, but are still estimations based on the info that it know.
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    i have one and it works great but it will not track weight lifting/ stretching. it calculates your steps and sleep.
  • thatch1234
    thatch1234 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Ok guys. Enough info to leave it at that. Thanks for replies
  • Darkbite29
    Darkbite29 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have the one that also tracks sleep. Very accurate! It measured my distance during the day. I was not accounting the 4-6 miles I walked a day in work alone! Very step sensitive so you won't get cheated.