Gaining Weight after joining gym

Options
I recently started going to the gym after losing 100 pounds by eating right and working out at home. I was really good and went 4 days last week and did 30 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes with weight training. I weighed myself on Monday and was up 6 pounds....when I mentioned it to the Doctor I work for he told me less weights and more cardio. But I already have a problem with loose skin and I really want to tone up. Does anyone have some good sound advice for me please! :tongue:

Replies

• stephanie1133
    Options
    Doctors are stupid when it comes to stuff like this (IMO). LIFT and do cardio only if you have time. Chances are you are retaining lots of water from your new program, with perhaps a small amount of newbie muscle gain! SO YAY FOR YOU! Keep it up, those extra pounds will fall away and you will start looking leaner. Seriously, DO NOT STOP LIFTING! The scale means crap.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself: What do I care about, the number on the scale, or how I look/feel? No one knows what you weigh but you. Lifting will add muscle mass, which will weigh more, but look WAY better.

That said, you did not gain 6 lbs in one week of muscle mass. Whenever you start a new workout routine, your muscles will retain water while they heal, which will cause you to weigh more. Don't stress about it. And ignore your doctor, who obviously knows very little about fitness!!
  • JEWEL776
    JEWEL776 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! That's what I was thinking....and my sister said the same thing...throw the scale away!! LOL
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You are up because your muscles are retaining fluid to repair themselves. This is common after exercise - especially when you are doing a new routine and especially when doing strength training. Take a couple of rest days, drink plenty of water and it should go back down.

Gaining muscle is very difficult - you need a surplus of calories, an intense strength training program, and a diet that promotes muscle growth. Newbies to strength training will see small muscle "gains" when they first start, but long-term, building muscle is hard. What you will be doing is shaping the muscle you have and burning fat. That is what will make you look good!

Most doctors don't have a clue about diet and exercise! You obviously know how to lose weight - and congrats on your success!! Find a good strength training program and stick with it - do cardio a couple of times a week, if you want. You're going to love your results!! :)
  • dynad
    dynad Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Take their advice its good and right! Don't stop lifting, Go heavy!
  • martintanz
    Options
    Why would the good doc tell you not to do weights? Everybody knows that eventually, everybody loses muscle if they don't weight train or do some kind of heavy work. 6 lbs is nothing to worry about if you are eating right. If you do it right, that 6 lb gain might even be permanent, but in a good way. That being saiid, it wouldn't happen in a week, but rather over, maybe 6 or 8 months.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Doctors are stupid when it comes to stuff like this (IMO). LIFT and do cardio only if you have time. Chances are you are retaining lots of water from your new program, with perhaps a small amount of newbie muscle gain! SO YAY FOR YOU! Keep it up, those extra pounds will fall away and you will start looking leaner. Seriously, DO NOT STOP LIFTING! The scale means crap.

This x100.

You muscles will retain water to protect them and repair damage caused by lifting, it is not fat weight or muscle weight
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Less cardio more weights. The weight gain is not fat.
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    After losing 100 pounds pretty much on your own + the applying advice you've gotten here already will get you far! Congratulations, You are doing awesome! Don't stop! I see you have 70 more to go and you will get there in time. You will notice a change in your clothes very soon. Just keep going and ignore the scale for a while!
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I was searching threads about this today because I am gonig through the same thing. I am on my third week. Doing body pump, spin, step fusion and step classes 3 to 4 days a week. I am up a few pounds from when I started too. I feel by now the water weight should no longer be an issue. I did measure too and have not lost an inch. I am working hard, sweating, etc so I am not just going through the motions. I push myself and add more weights each time. Body pump is repetitive weights, fusion is a combo of cardio and weights, etc. The trainer at the gym is telling me to try to shave more calories. I disagree. I am already wondering if I am eating enough with adding exercise. It is depressing.
  • ysolla85
    Options
    I joined a gym 2 weeks ago, and after losing weight consistently for ages, I have started gaining... How long does it take for your body to settle into the new routine?
  • AshwinA7
    AshwinA7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider is that you might be logging too many calories expended for your days in the gym.

Weight training doesn't burn anywhere near as many immediate calories as cardio in the same amount of time.