Cottage Cheese

Options

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I like it with pineapple or pears, I also like to sprinkle bacon bits and chives on it , I also put it ontop of tomatoes. Thanks for sharing I am going to have to try some of these ideas
  • plumeria913
    Options
    cottage cheese is a staple - love it and eat it all the time - great source of protein - I get Friendship 1% No Salt Added because the sodium can be high in the regular kinds if you watch that
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Sprinkled with bacon salt on Ritz crackers. :)
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: cottage cheese!! I add a pinch of salt and black pepper, yummy!!!!
  • kuntrygurl
    Options
    I almost never have it with anything sweet because I just skip to the dark chocolate instead but BLUEBERRIES!? YUM! I'm gonna try that asap!
    I treat it like sour cream. I treat sour cream like cheese. I treat cheese like salt. I salt anything that's not sweet. You get the idea... LOL I :heart: Cottage Cheese!

This made me LOL! I like mine with pineapples or blueberries, or plain...

YUM is an understatement! It is delish!!!!
  • monkeyfood
    Options
    I LOVE cottage cheese. this one hasn't been posted so I will.. I love it with tomatoes :)
  • Brat3073
    Brat3073 Posts: 160
    Options
    love it! my 20 month old loves it too, he eats it plain though. i love it topped on a baked potato or on a turkey burger (no bun)!
  • Brat3073
    Options
    I usually mix mine with strawberries or pineapple. Sometimes I mix it with sweetener and cinnamon and pretend I am eating cheesecake! LOL

really??? ill have to try that!
  • Brat3073
    Options
    deffinitly w/ strawberries!
    and i'll use it on my salads instead of dressing.

oh how i like youre ticker! lol
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    the thought of it always creeped me out? Can you compare the taste to anything?

so I'm not the only one!!
    I've actually "wished" that I could eat it, my husband LOVES the stuff.... I can't get past the fact that it is sour milk!! I hate the taste and smell of white milk... can't drink it unless its in cereal!!

I feel like I'm missing out on something!! :sad:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    a cup of cottage cheese with 1/3 cup of craisins or dried blueberries stirred in is a 310 calorie delight for breakfast, and it packs a wonderful protein punch that keeps me full for-EVER!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

I've actually "wished" that I could eat it, my husband LOVES the stuff.... I can't get past the fact that it is sour milk!! I hate the taste and smell of white milk... can't drink it unless its in cereal!!

cheese is curdled milk, too....we eat "rotten" foods all the time: cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream, wine, beer...the list goes on LOL
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options

I never used to be able to stomach it, but I forced myself to keep trying it. I started eating it mixed with canned fruit cocktail (in juice) to start, and then once I got used to the texture, I switched it to various fresh fruits, or mixed with yogurt and all bran buds. I can even eat it plain with pepper and the all bran buds now.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese is a staple - love it and eat it all the time - great source of protein - I get Friendship 1% No Salt Added because the sodium can be high in the regular kinds if you watch that

I will have to look around and see if I can find a no salt variety here in Alberta, Canada. The sodium content is my only complaint!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I use it as salad dressing! Toss 1/2 cup on top of a green salad with cucumbers and tomatoes...yummmy!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes and ground black pepper wrapped in lettuce
    Halved Grapes
    Plain

My gramma used to eat it with canned peaches- I couldn't get past the texture.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options

it always grossed me out.... i mean i dont mind the taste of the curds (very mild really adaptable to anything, doesn't really add taste to anything) it's the mush that surrounds the curds that always got me.... i am a texture person...

so use it in lasagna was fine but stick a spoon in my mouth... ewww no way...

so i started using it like sour cream, mix it with a lil bit of salsa and used it with my corn chips to get used to it.
    i often put it in frittatas and eggy things.

and i can, now, put a forkful in my mouth.... how ever i have not yet gotten to the point where i can mix it with something sweet.
  • hunterr
    hunterr Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Friendship brand comes whipped, so is a nicer texture. I try to mimic generic brands by beating and crushing hard with a fork.

I like to let mine reach room temperature before eating.

I put it on toast a lot. With pepper and tomato on pumpernickel bread. With splenda on a raisin bagel or blueberry pancakes. With orange marmalade on Italian bread.

I want to try blending some into lime jello, but haven't had the time to experiment.

It's such a good protein source. 1/4 cup fat free counts as one ex lean protein exchange. My MD pushes a high protein diet with me. I'd struggle to fit in her protein requirements without cottage cheese. It's effortless for me to trade 2 proteins for a starch, with cottage cheese.
  • jjustjo
    jjustjo Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese YUMMY!!
    I eat it on baked potatoes.
    I use it like dip for corn chips.
    I will eat it on anything NOT sweet. I do not like it mixed with sweet.
    My favorite way to eat it BEFORE MFP was on top of biscuits and gravy. I don't eat biscuits nor gravy now :(
    My only complaint is how much sodium is in it, even the 1% skimmed milk kind. So I limit how much and when I eat it.
  • prestoncaleb
    prestoncaleb Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    mixed with peanut butter and cereal (usually Kashi Honey Sunshine).

if I can afford it I substitute pb2 for the real stuff.

Have a 1/2 cup mixed with cinnamon before bed everynight.