Needing some encouragement

Options
I started exercising (again) 6 weeks ago. I have consistently done 40-60 minutes of cardio, 5 days a week for the past six weeks. Prior to resuming my exercise regimen, my activity level was basically nil. My only focus for the first month was establishing a routine of exercising regularly. With that accomplished after a month, I've added some core exercises and have begun to watch my diet. After the first month, I GAINED a pound! I haven't weighed anymore. This seems wrong. I'm frustrated. I travel a lot for business so my chosen exercises have been walking on the treadmill and using the elliptical because I can usually find both of those machines in hotel gyms. I know the weight won't come off immediately, but I need to see something to encourage me. Please help.

Replies

• eugovogue
    Options
    1) It could be muscle weight. Depending on what type of cardio (like resistance training or interval training) you may have gained lean muscle mass.
    2) You had a bad water weight day. Best to weigh yourself in the morning after you body has digested from the previous day and before breakfast
    3) Congratulate yourself for making it a month. That is not nothing.
    4) You're focused on long term goals and satisfaction, and for that you have to sacrifice short term satisfaction. In a perfect world I would lose 5lbs after every work out, but I don't. But I know if I keep at it, by next summer I'll be gorgeous. And it will have been worth it!

I'm in the same boat as you in that I just recently started really really exercising and really really eating clean. I have only lost 4lbs of my 10lb goal and stagnated for 2 weeks and gained .5lb in one week.
    But you know, we are both on the right track. Nothing worth having comes easily.

go us!!
  • PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with everything eugovogue said! I'll also add that, and I"m sure you've heard this before, the scale is one of the WORST indicators of success. It doesn't take into account things like muscle gain, water gain and the like. There were times in my own weight loss where the scale said I wasn't losing anything but everyone around me was telling me how much leaner I looked.

I highly recommend taking photos every couple of weeks, using the measuring tape and using your clothes as other gauges of success. I know it's hard when we've been conditioned to use the number on the scale but trust me, it'll drive you batty if it's your ONLY gauge!

Stay the course! You're doing AMAZING with your workouts, the only thing you didn't mention was your nutrition. If you're not working on cleaning up your current diet, that could be the culprit!

Feel free to friend me! :)
  • blupee
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you for chiming in!!! Sometimes it is all we need. I was having a particularly gloomy day and needed to vent. Thank you for the encouragement. I will continue on my journey. Your words will propel me a little further into progress. BTW, I am working on cleaning up my diet as well. That is one of the things added to my goal for the second month. Thank you again!! Thank you very much!