exercise advice please. ..

I normally lurk around the success story boards trying to find inspiration. But having come here to look for some exercise ideas I can now see I have been looking in the wrong place for my inspiration.

I need some help and ideas on work outs I can do in my home. I am a stay at home mum and have time during the day. At home I have an elliptical trainer a stand alone punch bag, and some free weights including a barbell and two dumbells.

I have been doing about 30 mins evety other day on the elliptical and some boxing with the punch bag twice a week. Now I want to step it up and start getting serious about weight loss and getting properly fit.

If anyone has any ideas or advice they are willing to share with me then I would be really grateful.

Replies

• Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Do you know that no resistance training at all can lead to calcium depletion? After you look that up you will most likely need/want to add lifting weights to your routine. There are a lot of weight lifting you can do with 10 pound weights right at your chair. You can also use the "stretch cords" to give yourself some resistance.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    if your diet is in check the rest is extra.
  • kimid123
    kimid123 Posts: 16 Member
    +1 - spot on. Adding weights and weight training to your routine helps boost your metabolism by adding muscle. If you're worried about getting bulky because you're lifting - don't. That's not going to happen without specific supplementation.

Also first time post for me! Woot!
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Resistance is a good next step small weights or bands. Look at DVDs and see if any sound tempting I found some at garage sales and used that have helped before I was back in gym. I love using the ball for core trainnng and yoga for balance and stretching and found a few that had interval trainning. Denise Austin has good workouts and hers are usually cheaper since its old school but she does strength cardio and stretching which is good in 30 or 50 min
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    There are quite a few videos on YouTube--different types, different lengths of time, so you can cater to your needs.
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    I just found Fitness blender's videos and I love them! You can use their website (fitnessblender.com) or their youtube channel. Their videos have a difficulty level of 1-5, and they have a bunch of different kinds. On the website, you can search for workouts based on the equipment you have (or in my case, no equipment). They have strength, and cardio and a variety of things.

I like that they aren't trying to push any products or sell anything to you either.

If you like pilates or want more toning videos, I like blogilates on youtube as well.
  • slimintraining
    slimintraining Posts: 80 Member
    Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it. I have a question about weights.

If I start start lifting at home, what weight should I start with? This is for dumbells and the barbell.
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it. I have a question about weights.

If I start start lifting at home, what weight should I start with? This is for dumbells and the barbell.

I like to exercise in 4 sets of 8 reps per exercise. If I can lift the weight easily more than 12 reps per set, it is not heavy enough. If I cannot lift it for 8 reps in a set, then it is too heavy. Can't say this is right, but it is working for me.

I also found a lot of useful information here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/

Start lifting, you will love what it does for your body.
  • slimintraining
    I like to exercise in 4 sets of 8 reps per exercise. If I can lift the weight easily more than 12 reps per set, it is not heavy enough. If I cannot lift it for 8 reps in a set, then it is too heavy. Can't say this is right, but it is working for me.

I also found a lot of useful information here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/

Start lifting, you will love what it does for your body.
    [/quote]

Thanks, will have a look at the website. Going to find the weights and get started today.

Will I continue to loose weight though, I have like 70lbs tp loose?
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member

This is very helpful. Thank you. To answer your question. The more muscle you have, the more calories you can burn, so you will loose FAT, but that is not the same as losing weight. You already have a lot of muscle, but it is hidden below the fat. The challenge is to loose the fat, so rather focus on fitness and getting your bodyfat % lower than focusing on weight loss. Best way is to measure yourself every week to 2 weeks to judge your progress, because you can actually get heavier from training while getting smaller/leaner. Stick to what you are doing, and be patient. Patience is the biggest problem for most of us. We want instant results, but it will take time. Probably a year or more. I just keep telling myself that today is the fattest I will ever be again, and that keeps me going. Don't over complicate things. You have all the tools, and took the hardest step, which is starting. Now you just keep going.
  • slimintraining
    I looked at that site fstgf. It was very good and have got lots of useful information from it.

There was a work out on there for women that incorporated dumbell weights and cardio. So I'm goibg to do that every other day and pure cardio on the alternate days.

I know it will take me a while and before I've always wanted the quick fix, also thinking that I could train for hours at a time when I simply can't due to kids or home life or simply not being fit enogh yet...

I'm happy to wait and get the results I want rather than giving up because I'm not going to be a skinny minnie inside 6 months. Just sometimes wish I could use a gym or a personal trainer to help me with learning all of this.