chips n chocolate

Options
What do you guys do when you crave or want certain items daily. Like choclate or chips. Is there something healthier I could replace the item with.

Replies

• laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Eat the normal stuff but in moderation or cook substitutes. I will make my own baked goods that are lower calorie and have less chocolate, sugar substitutes, and ingredient switches like unsweetened applesauce for oil. I also tend to eat lots of random snacks that i used to eat, just in smaller portions that fit into my day. Like, I currently have white chocolate pretzels in my fridge to snack on. The difference from before is that it now takes me a few days to go through a package. I measure out portions and plan ahead to put them into MFP. In the past, I'd eat the bag in one sitting.
  • VenharBaby
    Options
    I'm always having to munch on a handful of Cheerios and carrots celery sticks. Dill pickles. Cucumber.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    have a little bit and make sure you maintain your deficit and hit your macro goal for the day ..

it is when you label foods "bad" and try to avoid them that lead to binging on said foods that you have labeled bad...
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Just work them into your day :). My snickers only put me over by 33 cals today.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I decided which one I want and preplan it to fit my caloric intake and enjoy it...... Best of Luck
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    i eat the chips or chocolate. just not in the same quantities that I used to.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    If I want them then I'll fit it into my calories. Lately I haven't been super strict about staying under (as long as I'm under maintenance) but I know putting off cravings for too long won't work for me. I did give up chips for awhile - I could not control myself around them. They're the one food that portion control just doesn't seem to apply for me. Eventually I stopped craving them. Chocolate is something I eat daily. Then again I exercise a lot so I get to eat more :).
  • casiobarnes
    casiobarnes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    A lot of your cravings can probably be attributed to adjusting to eating a new, healthier diet. Or even just breaking old habits. Myself, I was a notorious "grazer" - just going to the fridge for a bite of pasta salad, a slice of deli meat, a cracker, etc. Tracking what I eat here on MFP really helped me to see just how my "bites" were adding up.

I don't suffer from cravings so often anymore, but when I do they really help motivate me to exercise. For instance, it's very cold and snowy today, and I knew I was going to want a glass (or two!) of wine, so rather than use the snow as an excuse, I made sure to go for a run.
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    For chocolate: I eat sugar-free fudge pops or sugar-free chocolate pudding. That does it for me. Or you can have one or two Kisses or Nips or something to satisfy the hunger.

For chips: I really like the Special K Cracker Chips. I don't have them all the time, but once in awhile. And I make sure to count them out and not just eat the whole box.

I also love tortilla chips, and tonight I made my own. They were so easy and great. I got corn tortillas, brushed a small amount of canola oil on them, cut them with a scissors into triangles, and baked at 375 for 15 minutes, turning once. They were amazing. I made a taco salad with them and chicken and a bunch of veggies. Awesome dinner!

Hope this helps!
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    I avoid sugar altogether, which is the BAD part of most chocolate bars/desserts.
    Eat the REALLY GOOD stuff, which is 70% or more pure chocolate:
    it has much fewer carbohydrate calories.

As for me, I make a 'refrigerator candy' with coconut oil or unsalted butter,
    and melt in a half-square of 100% cocoa baking chocolate. I use an artificial sweetener
    and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, too. My ratio is 1 Tablespoon of a fat to 1/4 square of baking chocolate.

Best wishes!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    What do you guys do when you crave or want certain items daily. Like choclate or chips. Is there something healthier I could replace the item with.

less chocolate... or chips. Enough to fit your cal goals.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I have dark chocolate every day, 50-100 calories worth. Except today, I skipped the chocolate...bc I was saving my calories for peanut butter pie ice cream :happy:
  • accendo
    accendo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just eat smaller portions, like a snack sized mars bar or I measure out 25g of my favourite potato chips, or if i want icecream I weigh that too and add it. As long as it fits in with my calories for the day and doesnt throw my macros off, I will have it.
  • Jess_Forever_After
    Options
    For chocolate cravings I like Quest bars, brownie or cookie dough flavor. They are high protein, low carb, high fiber.
    For chips you probably want salt. You can try baked chips, crackers, or pretzels.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I eat Lindt dark chocolate (couple of pieces every day), and a few nuts (macadamia, Brazil, almonds, walnuts) for the "crunch". I keep within my macronutrient and calorie targets and cravings are gone. Works for me, I hope you find what works for you.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Lindt Dark Chocolate. And if I have the calories I eat chips or chocolate. I had a bunch of semi sweet chocolate chips today. I had the calories and I was out of my Lindt chocolate. I am working on enjoying my weight loss this time. it seems to be working. 1 lb a week for 9 weeks this time. I feel like I will be able to sustain this.
  • bunkahes
    bunkahes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thanx for the ideas. For anyone believes I eat too much then read my dairy.
  • varga124
    Options
    I broke my candy addiction. Was not easy but finally I'm free.....For me, it was just like giving up smoking or alcohol. I think it's best to cure the addiction than replace it with something.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I have treats every day if they fit into my calorie goals.

There is nothing wrong with chocolate or chips, or chocolate chips for that matter! :bigsmile: Just eat everything in moderation and make sure it fits into your calorie allowance.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Generally carrots and broccoli are more healthier than chips and chocolate....