1,200 calories?

Options
How do you stick to 1,200 calories without starving?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    How do you stick to 1,200 calories without starving?

you can't because 1200 is starvation level for most people..and I not referring to starvation mode...
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Short answer: I don't.

Long answer: It's why I chose to abandon the MFP method. For me, the idea of only eating 1200 calories for the rest of my life made me want to cry. And this was going to be something I could do for the rest of my life. So I figured out my TDEE and took a 20% cut.

If you are trying to find ways to fill up, then I'd suggest eating as much protein as you can. Also foods with a lot of fibre will help keep you feeling full. Otherwise all I can suggest is to maybe set a smaller deficit and eat a little more (instead of trying to lose 2lbs/week maybe aim for 1lb). It'll take longer but you won't be as hungry.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Do some research on TDEE. I'm eating 1700-1800 calories a day and losing.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I don't know. With exercise, I got almost 1800 calories to eat today. And I am still starving.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I do it by eating more than that if I'm genuinely hungry. You can look at my food diary and see that there are plenty of days where I exceed it and I keep losing more weight than expected. Also, on days where I exercise, I eat back at least some of my exercise calories. I eat a lot of fiber, protein and fats and it keeps me feeling satiated.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I do stick to 1200 cal. I discovered eating an LCHF diet stops me from craving foods, and I'm easily able to keep calorie targets. Basically, it's a low carb diet that keeps my blood sugars stable, which improves satiety and reduces hunger. I've lost weight and improved my health (doctor is impressed with the blood work). I also lose at least 1 lb per week. It's something that works for me. I hope you find what works for you. Good luck.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Long answer: It's why I chose to abandon the MFP method. For me, the idea of only eating 1200 calories for the rest of my life made me want to cry. And this was going to be something I could do for the rest of my life. So I figured out my TDEE and took a 20% cut.

If you are trying to find ways to fill up, then I'd suggest eating as much protein as you can. Also foods with a lot of fibre will help keep you feeling full. Otherwise all I can suggest is to maybe set a smaller deficit and eat a little more (instead of trying to lose 2lbs/week maybe aim for 1lb). It'll take longer but you won't be as hungry.

Why would you think you would have to eat 1200 calories for the rest of your life?
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was on 1200 but I was hungry all the time. It works for some people. I am 5'1" so I just assumed I would need the smallest amount of calories possible but it wasn't really working. Now I'm doing about 1400 a day and more if I work out. Everyone is different I guess.
  • smjnwilliams
    Options
    I'm new here. What's TDEE?
  • jennycina93
    Options
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure (I think)
  • jennycina93
    Options

Why would you think you would have to eat 1200 calories for the rest of your life?

She's thinking more of a lifestyle choice, so 1200 for life to continuing staying fit (at some point though you would go into maitnence mode)
  • Appalachia7
    Appalachia7 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I can stick to 1,200 in a day if I eat very little calories during the day. I stick to coffee (with very little milk and sweetener), do my workout first thing in the morning (Insanity) on a mostly empty stomach. Then I get through the day on a lot of raw veggies and small amount
    of fruit and a 35 calorie laughing cow cheese or string cheese etc. Yes I get hungry at times during the day but I am very busy
    at work and it distracts me from being hungry. I save most of my calories for dinner. Then I can make a big serving of
    veggies stir fried in a tablespoon of olive oil, a decent sized portion of meat, and a healthy grain with little fat on it.
    A good sized dinner makes me feel full and satisfied. Being hungry sometimes during the day isn't so bad (for me) if
    I know I have a nice dinner to look forward to.
  • bhsishtla
    bhsishtla Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am here from past 5+ months.I lost only 15 lbs on 1200 cals diet.It was hard in the beginning,but I was determined.I am 54 years post menopausal woman, and only 5 feet 1 inch tall.
    I thought if not now , I cannot do as the age advances.So I determined to stick to 1200 cal diet.
    I walk a lot ,out side and now on treadmill, that too with low intensity(I am suffering from fibromyalgia ) I cannot work very hard most of the days.
    Eat the exercise calories ,that is the one good thing with MFP settings.
    Good luck, stick with it.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options

She's thinking more of a lifestyle choice, so 1200 for life to continuing staying fit (at some point though you would go into maitnence mode)

Exactly. I wasn't prepared to make changes that I didn't see myself sustaining for the rest of my life.
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I ate 1200 to lose for almost a year and was fine. I'm a very small person and insanely active as well. Mentally I found 1200 constraining so once a week I had a pig out meal of fatty/junk food. To maintain my weight I eat between 1300 and 1400 a day and am fine. I think a lot depends on your metabolism and what foods you eat. I eat tons of veggies so I eat a large volume of food and that helps me feel mentally satisfied. IMO, the mental aspect is as important as the physical for those of us who need to maintain for life. I also eat a treat daily like chocolate or chips.

Having said all that the point is to eat what you need to be nourished. If it's 1200 calories or 2500. Be healthy.
  • twl900
    twl900 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I usually eat around 1200-1300 cal a day, and I rarely feel myself going hungry most days. I'm only 5'0" so I guess I don't need as much food as most others to keep myself going. I'd probably need to eat more if I were larger.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Acronym given above.

It's literally what you would eat to maintain, because it's what your body burns.

It is different every day, hence the popularity of the devices that try to estimate it daily, and then you eat with a deficit to that number each day.

If you like eating different amounts daily, having a rough plan, and getting reward of eating more when you do more - it's a great system.
    It's much like the MFP method, but less guess work based on your profile setup.

The TDEE Deficit method described, is where you look at a whole weeks worth of activity, and then average that out to a daily level.
    So you plan and eat the same amount daily no matter what, but based on what you plan to do for activity and exercise on a weekly average basis.
    No reward style of encouragement, your encouragement is to do the workouts you included in your weekly plan.

Some people like one method of encouragement, some like the other.

If the MFP choices on profile setup were done reasonably and exercise calories eaten back, they would end up at about the same number.

MFP style is better if exercise is iffy or you lack motivation, because you get a deficit anyway, exercise or not.
    TDEE Deficit style is better if you do better planning your meals in advance, don't like surprises, and want to include something tasty each day, and are encouraged to therefore do your workout.

Spreadsheet on my profile page will intro you to TDEE method.
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I wondered as well.
  • cjsroute24
    cjsroute24 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    While I can do it (which is a HUGE surprise to me, trust me!!!!), I find that I rarely need to, since I exercise pretty much everyday so that I CAN eat more!!!

On the occasional day that I eat only 1200 calories, basically, I do not drink a glass of milk with breakfast (which I do not like to do!!!), and I have meals that are roughly 300ish calories and then 3 100 calorie snacks.

I don't really like to do that, which is why I exercise my hind off and then eat some or all of those calories (depending on how much I do!).

The hard part on those days is the evening. I just make sure to keep busy and go to bed when my husband does so I don't snack!!! :)
  • bwaynick29
    bwaynick29 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a B.S. in exercise science and am a personal trainer. I will not recommend 1200 calories to anybody, nor a high fat/low carb diet.

at 1200 calories the body is usually in starvation mode, going back to it's survival instinct it will hold onto fat for future energy use because it doesn't know that food is readily available, instead it will get rid of lean body mass (muscle) which burns calories 24/7, thus making your body much less efficient throughout the day.

Carbs is both muscle and the brains preferred source of energy, mental and physical performance will drop with a lack of carbs. Although this is not to say to avoid fat either. A good macronutrient breakdown for weight loss is 30% fat, 40% carbs, 30% protein. Protein also gives you the full feeling of fat but also helps your body hold onto its lean muscle mass.