Fats and Sugars

Options
Due to my medical conditions and food allergies my diet is very limited. Also, due to the damage my illnesses and food allergies have caused I cannot process any kind of meat well at all, it causes me to become very ill. I can only eat fruits (no coconut), veggies (no night shades), and nuts (no peanuts or Brazil nuts). So when I do eat a lot of my bulk protein comes from nuts like almonds. This however brings my fats over anywhere from 10-60 and my sugars go up because fruit is a big part of my diet (nutrient dense fruits, no apples or anything like that). So what are some other foods that might be good for me to try out? I have been eating this way for along time and I don't eat any junk food. It is the over eating of healthy food that is bad for me. For instance tonight I had 4 small salads over the course of 3 hours or I munched on almonds while cooking. Thank you!

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    So no meat or dairy?

Sorry if it is a redundant question, just seeking clarification.
  • CoCo_0905
    Options
    I cannot have any grains, casein (dairy), soy, gluten, lentils, legumes, meat, night shades, and nothing that is cross contaminated with those things. I get fevers, hives, throw up, weeping lesions, swelling, etc. I have a lot of food allergies, arthritis, type 1 diabetes, gastritis, and the list goes on.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Due to your medical condition/allergies, I would suggest maybe working with a registered dietitian. They'll be better able to give you ideas and suggestions and monitor things in case something happens.
  • CoCo_0905
    Options
    I have worked with a ton of different dietitians, nutritionists, and doctors. They are at a loss. My son has all of the same issues and they have sent him up and down the east coast. I just can't lose the weight with a high fat, high sugar diet but if I eat any form of protein (nuts) I will have high fat. Just looking for some ideas. Thanks!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    High sugar, high fat diets do not prevent weight loss.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    You can't gain weight from high fat, just keep your total calories in check and eat all the almonds you want.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I cannot have any grains, casein (dairy), soy, gluten, lentils, legumes, meat, night shades, and nothing that is cross contaminated with those things. I get fevers, hives, throw up, weeping lesions, swelling, etc. I have a lot of food allergies, arthritis, type 1 diabetes, gastritis, and the list goes on.

Wow, that's a rough list to work with. I'd make an appointment with a dietician and they can give you some suggestions. I have a relative who has several food allergies and her dietician has been a big help with food options.

eta: just saw your other post-that's too bad the doctor's weren't more help :flowerforyou:
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Given the list of issues you mentioned, I would be okay with eating fats, but try to stay away from sugars ( you mentioned that you are diabetic). Instead of eating lots of fruit, I would instead eat more vegetables and reduce fruit. That way, you still get similar nutrients without the sugar causing havoc with your diabetes. I wouldn't be too concerned about the fats, for instance if you fry asparagus in olive oil, that would be very healthy thing to eat. For protein, eat eggs. You can make a variety of omelettes with all sorts of yummy veg. I think you may also be able to fry in butter (sometimes, people allergic to dairy can still use butter). If not butter, try ghee (clarified butter without the milk solids). How are your allergies with fish and seafood. For example, can you eat scallops and shrimp? What about tuna or sole?
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention, if you do eat fruit, perhaps stick to berries (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries...etc) as they tend to be low in sugar...should help with your diabetes perhaps?

Good luck sweetheart.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You can't gain weight from high fat, just keep your total calories in check and eat all the almonds you want.

Oh dear. That is so false. Yes, you certainly CAN gait weight from eating too much of anything! And high fat foods are especially high in calories.

I just read about your MediFast success. :drinker: Now it's time to learn about feeding yourself in the real world.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Due to my medical conditions and food allergies my diet is very limited. Also, due to the damage my illnesses and food allergies have caused I cannot process any kind of meat well at all, it causes me to become very ill. I can only eat fruits (no coconut), veggies (no night shades), and nuts (no peanuts or Brazil nuts). So when I do eat a lot of my bulk protein comes from nuts like almonds. This however brings my fats over anywhere from 10-60 and my sugars go up because fruit is a big part of my diet (nutrient dense fruits, no apples or anything like that). So what are some other foods that might be good for me to try out? I have been eating this way for along time and I don't eat any junk food. It is the over eating of healthy food that is bad for me. For instance tonight I had 4 small salads over the course of 3 hours or I munched on almonds while cooking. Thank you!

Are you logging? I'm not sure how many almonds you would need to eat to meet your protein requirements, but if you are eating nothing other than fruits and vegetables, you might be able to hit your calories and macros.

How many calories a day are you eating?
    Can you open your diary?
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Do you like avocados? First thing that came to mind. I know the fat content will be higher, but due to your diabetes you might want to reduce sugars (fruits or replace your fruits with berries like other poster suggested) and increase fats.
  • casalhug2
    Options
    You should research the GAPS diet. Gut and Psychology Syndrome. It is a healing diet protocol. May be helpful to you.
  • zagon_the_ultimate
    zagon_the_ultimate Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    while i know you said you cant eat grains, does that include all cereals? if the answer is no, you may want to give Teff (Eragrostis Tef) a try. its a gluten free cereal grain that supplies quite a bit of protien, and has all of the amino acids that a body needs. another possability may be wild rice, another gluten free grain. you have to cook the hell out of it, but it has a nice nutty flavor that you may find appealing.

both of these are a little bit on the pricey side, teff being more i think.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    So you've worked with dieticians and nutritionists but you're at a loss because it didn't work....so you're just going to take a bunch of rando advice from a bunch of rando people on the internetz...sounds legit.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options

Oh dear. That is so false. Yes, you certainly CAN gait weight from eating too much of anything! And high fat foods are especially high in calories.

I just read about your MediFast success. :drinker: Now it's time to learn about feeding yourself in the real world.
    ???
    I'm feeding myself just fine.
    Did you not read where I said"keep your total calories in check"?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Eat plenty of dark green veggies.

For example, broccoli has nearly as much protein in it as it does carbohydrates.

If I were you, at this point, I would focus less on your macros, and focus on ensuring you're eating as wide a variety of food as possible. If you just eat one type of nut for nearly all your protein, you're going to suffer from malnutrition issues.

Check out some vegan protein powder mixes, such as VegaSport. I believe they do not use any grains (including soy) in their mixes. It should be safe for you. Also, read the ingredients of everything you buy.

This is all coming from a guy who suffers from 15 different food intolerance.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

Just load up on the veggies, nuts, beans and whatever fruits your conditions will allow for. You should be able to meet most macro needs with these foods and you shouldn't have any difficulties eating at a caloric deficit. Granted, I don't know too much about some of the conditions you mentioned, so take this with agrain of salt.

Just my 2 cents.