Working out in the dreaded winter

Options

Replies

• F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    My gym has a day care for 50 cents and hour per child. I've got three foster sons.... I need a break. $1.50 an hour babysitting for three kids? Yes, please!!!!! Shower with out the fear of the boys killing each other while I am gone for ten minutes? Yes, please!!!!! Have time to actually blow dry my hair and put on make up? YES PLEASE!!!

27508099.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

That is QUITE the motivation to hit the gym often. Lucky you haha
  • 319Sara
    319Sara Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I read the book "Younger Next Year". The authors say consider exercise your JOB.

Since we all started school at about the age of 5 we have been going to WORK five days a week. We don't dither around about whether or not we are going to do it. we just GO. So that's the way I am trying to think of it. No decision to be made. Each day of the week has the exercise scheduled, and a each day I go. Only legit excuse is if I am so sick that I would call my boss and take a sick day.
  • burlingtongrl
    burlingtongrl Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I used to feel like that every winter, and that is how I put all this extra weight on. Once you get out there you'll be glad you did and in spring you'll be really glad you did. It is not that far away and you'll want to look fit and fabulous when it gets here.
  • Cayjominara
    Cayjominara Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Real talk: You either WANT it or you just KINDA want it. If you truly WANT this thing, no amount of cold weather, situation, circumstance or obstacle will keep you from it! When you really want it, there are NO EXCUSES to be considered or entertained! When you REALLY, REALLY want it, you will do WHATEVER needs to be done to achieve it. Yep, the bed feels nice and cozy and warm. Yep, the cold is fierce and is a deterrent. You're right! It is not the ideal climate to navigate through! But when you WANT IT...man, nothing can keep you from it.
  • hiroselee
    hiroselee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you everyone

p.s. i didn't actually mean i watch movies in the morning lol i guess it was bad wording on my part. What I meant was that in the winter, I don't feel like doing anything but watching movies in my bed in general.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Quit making posts asking and start doing the do.

Its never that cold...
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    okay, this is what I used to do when I lived outside DC and had to get up between 4-4:30 in order to get to the gym before work.

I laid my shoes by the front door with a towel, water, etc.
    SLEPT in my gym clothes

So, when my alarm went off...I may as well get up and go b/c I'm already dressed, just brush teeth :smile: It worked for me for 4-5 years, then we got rid of our gym membership and put in our own gym in our house...now I NEVER have an excuse not to workout! :bigsmile:
  • Anthem76
    Anthem76 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Can you get into a fun winter activity? I love cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. The forest looks like a winter wonderland in the snow. Heck, even sledding burns calories. Maybe you need a little break from the gym. Both x-country skiing and snowshoeing torch major calories. And are major fun.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    HELP! It's freezing where I live and I've lost the motivation to get my butt to the gym! In the summer, I used to go 5-6 times a week in the morning before work. Now all I want to do is snuggle up in a blanket and watch movies... Any tips?

It's cold here too. Once I get to the gym, it's warm and even warmer once I get into my workout.

What about finding workouts on You Tube or buying some workout videos for during the colder months?

Of course, you don't have to exercise to lose weight, you just have to eat at a calorie deficit.
  • TarynAngeline
    TarynAngeline Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I like in Alberta, Canada. Lately half my workout is shoveling my car out of a snow drift to get to the gym.

Don't over think it - the thought then becomes daunting. Getting started really is the hardest part sometimes. Just do it. You'll always be glad you did.
  • Manda_1986
    Manda_1986 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I rather the cold than the heat. I live in Queensland, Australia and it is getting so warm here now. I have to get up at 4.30am to get a run in outside otherwise the humidity is a killer.

I find in winter I put my alarm across the other side of the room so I have to get up to turn it off. In summer...well I wake up in a pool of my own sweat so I am more than happy to get up.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Same here just try getting motivated to excercise in the sheer heat, it's hot enough just sitting down at the computer and breathing, yet to go outside in the boiling hot sun and excercise where all the flies are in large numbers.
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Tips? Yeah. Imagine yourself deadlifting in an unheated garage when it's below freezing out and your bar feels like a stick of ice. That should make you feel better about training in a warm gym.

this is actually how I work out (its a metal barn) brrrr gloves on and those bars are still cooollldddd! but I get out there 4 times a week, so does my husband. So if you have a heated training facility.... snuggle up when you are done! but gettr done !!!!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Go at night when you are already awake. I also swim int the inside pool in the winter so I get a summer feeling when I do that.

I have SAD so getting up in the morning is very difficult. Hell, getting up in the afternoon is hard. Change up your routine and accommodate the seasons. You can't just power through stuff if it's that hard. Make it easier on yourself by changing your routine.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    okay, this is what I used to do when I lived outside DC and had to get up between 4-4:30 in order to get to the gym before work.

I laid my shoes by the front door with a towel, water, etc.
    SLEPT in my gym clothes

So, when my alarm went off...I may as well get up and go b/c I'm already dressed, just brush teeth :smile: It worked for me for 4-5 years, then we got rid of our gym membership and put in our own gym in our house...now I NEVER have an excuse not to workout! :bigsmile:

Last night I went to bed in my gym clothes and then fell asleep face down next to my coffee at the table when I tried to get up in the morning. That's why I work out at night!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity or other workout dvds at my house when its cold or the weather is bad. Or you can do bodyweight exercises

http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    In the words of Nike: Just do it. That is what goes through my head when I don't feel like doing anything. Work out at home if the drive to the gym is what is making you procrastinate. WE are going to have excuse throughout the entire year, no matter what the weather. You cant give in to them if you want to make any progress. In the summer it will be too hot, in the spring it will be too rainy, etc. If you are more motivated at the morning time, then plan on doing it then. Have your gym bag ready. Your workout clothes set out or just sleep in them. I find it best to stumble around like a zombie while putting on my workout clothes and then put my shoes on. Then I grab my things and go. I might be grumbling the entire time but I always know that once I start my workout I will feel better.
  • freebirdsnsc
    freebirdsnsc Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The easiest thing for me? I put on some feel good music and dance...even better with a partner. Its fun and it burns calories I also do floor exercises and stretches
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    HELP! It's freezing where I live and I've lost the motivation to get my butt to the gym! In the summer, I used to go 5-6 times a week in the morning before work. Now all I want to do is snuggle up in a blanket and watch movies... Any tips?

I am the same way! Especially because 50% of my workouts take place in the pool!!! So I run out to the car start it up so the heat gets going. Go in the house wait, when its good to go, I put on a warm hoodie that way I am extra toasty!
  • olehcat
    olehcat Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I absolutely sympathize! I've had this problem ever since real winter has descended on us. I know I need to pull it together, so I'm going to, but this morning, I did not. I chose to snuggle in my blankets because it's 10 degrees outside.

Anyway, though, what works is laying out your gym clothes where it's easy to get to. All you have to do is roll out of bed and into them before you can think too much about it, just get to the gym. Once you're working out, you'll feel great and you won't regret it. It really is just the part where you roll out of bed and put the gym clothes on. That's the hardest part. I know once I'm in my gym clothes, there's no stopping me. So you have to make those clothes completely accessible and easy.